Ammo for Saiga-12

As i start this new journey with a fully converted saiga 12 i have heard MULTIPLE opinions on what type of ammo to use. I bought 100rnds of Federal 2 3/4 1oz 7 1/2 shot, thinking that would be the way to go to quickly break it in. After reading more and more all I hear is how NOT to use 1oz shells? I have found Remington 12 Ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #7 1/2  long range for a good bulk price and was wondering if those would be more reliable? Also has anyone ever used hornady zombie max 00 buckshot shells? Thanks

Well mine works great on both too but I posted that for the majority. It's shitty ammo with soft hulls that hang on rough edges and can open up and spill it's contents inside of mags in hot conditions.... not to mention the very inconsistent powder loads. Those are some of the best reasons to avoid it when you can get the Federal usually right beside it for the same price. That and the Federal was the suggested ammo used for testing by Tom Cole with the reliability fixes under warranty when he was doing that for RAAC.

As i start this new journey with a fully converted saiga 12 i have heard MULTIPLE opinions on what type of ammo to use. I bought 100rnds of Federal 2 3/4 1oz 7 1/2 shot, thinking that would be the way to go to quickly break it in. After reading more and more all I hear is how NOT to use 1oz shells? I have found Remington 12 Ga. 2 3/4" 1 1/4 oz #7 1/2  long range for a good bulk price and was wondering if those would be more reliable? Also has anyone ever used hornady zombie max 00 buckshot shells? Thanks

Those Rems should be more reliable since they have more power. They are also a nice hull to reload. Also, everything posted above is true. Hornady ammo is good, generally. The zombie max is just their normal line in a different color. IIRC the buckshot was a low recoil 8 pellet load though, in which case it might not run well. If it is a full velocity load you should be GTG.

If you got it at the same or lower price than the standard hornady stuff, good deal. Otherwise, treat it as an expensive novelty. Nothing wrong with getting it for the fun of it though.

There was a spell, where the zombie fad oversaturated and the Z max stuff was selling at a discount, which made it a great way to get hornady critical defense ammo at a lower price.

If those Remington 1 1/4oz long range loads are the same as the old Rem/Peters long range loads my grandfather had, make sure that you use #1 setting on the factory plug.  They will breach flash on #2 and hammer the crap out of your gun!    If the #1 setting undergasses, you may have a faulty plug. (mine did!)