MI will likely allow SBRs and SBSs soon

Yesterday, the MI State Senate Judiciary Committee UNANIMOUSLY approved a bill that would make short barreled shotguns and short barreled rifles legal here in Michigan. You'd still have to go through all the NFA stuff, pay your $200 and everything, but it's looking like we'll finally get our shorties. I've got an S12 I've been wanting to have cut down for some time now. That's assuming the Gov. signs it.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_senate_panel_approves_2.html

The article mentions that shorties would still be regulated under MI's pistol laws, but I was under the impression that they did away with that law last year. Hmmmm....... So if a SBS is considered a "pistol" here in MI, does that mean my State license to possess a pistol on my person or in my vehicle applies? haha.gif

Yesterday, the MI State Senate Judiciary Committee UNANIMOUSLY approved a bill that would make short barreled shotguns and short barreled rifles legal here in Michigan. You'd still have to go through all the NFA stuff, pay your $200 and everything, but it's looking like we'll finally get our shorties. I've got an S12 I've been wanting to have cut down for some time now. That's assuming the Gov. signs it.

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/10/michigan_senate_panel_approves_2.html

The article mentions that shorties would still be regulated under MI's pistol laws, but I was under the impression that they did away with that law last year. Hmmmm....... So if a SBS is considered a "pistol" here in MI, does that mean my State license to possess a pistol on my person or in my vehicle applies? haha.gif

Presumably so!

Here in Nebraska, concealed carry only applies to "handguns," but a handgun is anything intended to be held and fired with one hand, or with a barrel length under 16" - so SBR and SBS, even a machine gun with a short enough barrel, are all legit for concealed carry. But shotguns, regardless of barrel length, cannot be carried in a vehicle loaded, with or without a CHL.

if it does come to allowing you to have a SBR/SBS in Mi, just hope your CLEO will sign your form 1. because if he won't, it's really doesn't amount to a hill of beans if the law changes, when the NFA rule changes, by  making a trust a individual, requiring photo, fingerprint cards AND CLEO SIGN OFF,  on NFA items

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Anyone know what kind of timeline we're looking at for approval of this law???  I guess it's time to start saving now...

So if we can get SBR's in MI, know any shops in southeast MI that will sell them?

Timeline: A long time before you'll actually get it in your hands, LOL!

That I'm aware of schupbachs in Jackson has a class III and A2 Arms probably does to.

Super excited for this, hope Tromix waiting list isn't to long!

Anyone know what kind of timeline we're looking at for approval of this law???  I guess it's time to start saving now...

So if we can get SBR's in MI, know any shops in southeast MI that will sell them?

Timeline: A long time before you'll actually get it in your hands, LOL!

That I'm aware of schupbachs in Jackson has a class III and A2 Arms probably does to.

Super excited for this, hope Tromix waiting list isn't to long!

Thanks Yarp!  I was in AA Arms and overheard them saying they will have their class III license soon.  I know it's going to be a while, but after waiting for pmags and bcg for most of 2013 I think I've got the patience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

passed by House and Senate for immediate effect, so just waiting for Gov. to sign I think.  Unless I'm missing something.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(rxf1ni55zkqivnis2glebl3v))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2013-SB-0610

Nope, your not missing anything. If the Governor doesn't sign the law will still go in to effect. I don't know the timeline on that though.

passed by House and Senate for immediate effect, so just waiting for Gov. to sign I think.  Unless I'm missing something.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(rxf1ni55zkqivnis2glebl3v))/mileg.aspx?page=BillStatus&objectname=2013-SB-0610

Nope, your not missing anything. If the Governor doesn't sign the law will still go in to effect. I don't know the timeline on that though.

I think he's got 2 weeks.

Now I gotta decide if I want to SBR my Draco or SBS my Saiga 12 first. Hmmmmm....

If I'm reading it right, under 26" is still a pistol in MI and I don't think you can put a pistol in a trust because in MI it needs to be registered to an individual which limits things a little.  So you still need the CLEO sign off and can't efile.  Pls correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm thinking a 12.5 BCM which would come in at over 27".

I'm not sure if that's the case or not. If so, then a MAC-10 or any other full auto that's under 26" couldn't be put in a trust. I THINK that once it's an NFA item, it's not subject to the same rules. I'm no expert though. I have met a guy that had one of those AOW Mossberg 500 "serbu" shotguns that was through his NFA trust though. It was DEFINITELY under 26".

• Like 1

know any dealers who will be selling SBR's?

And here's what the State Police say: 

http://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MIMSP/2014/03/27/file_attachments/281097/MSP%2BLegal%2BUpdate%2BNo.%2B106.pdf

Under 26" it has to be registered as a pistol in MI.  Though it sounds like you guys are saying you can put a pistol in a trust. 

Edited by mizombiekilla