MI will likely allow SBRs and SBSs soon

So, if I have a SBS that's under 26" overall, it will be legally considered a pistol under MI law....... and as such, with a license to carry concealed, can be leagally carried CONCEALED just like any other pistol. Interesting. I'd STILL carry the federal registration with me, even if it's under 26".

so now that they're legal, what are you getting?

I put an order in for a DD with an 11.5" barrel.  Keeps me just over 26" (with the muzzle brake off) so I don't have to register it as a pistol.  Not sure how that would work if it was in a trust and I tried to register it as a pistol with my local LEO.  A couple years ago when I registered my folding stock saiga as a pistol I got the feeling they were making it up as they went along so I'd rather not mess with it again. 

know any dealers who will be selling SBR's?

And here's what the State Police say: 

http://content.govdelivery.com/attachments/MIMSP/2014/03/27/file_attachments/281097/MSP%2BLegal%2BUpdate%2BNo.%2B106.pdf

Under 26" it has to be registered as a pistol in MI.  Though it sounds like you guys are saying you can put a pistol in a trust.

It's only recognized as pistol by the state of MI, not federal or other states. So it's recognized as an SBR on your trust not a pistol.

• Like 1

so the old 30 inch thing in Mi is dead, correct?

My understanding (as a general citizen, not attorney and not qualified to give legal advice) is yes, they did away with the 30" thing.  It's now 26".  However, if you have a rifle with a side folding stock that was registered as a pistol in the past while the law was in effect, it's still a pistol and can be carried loaded in the front seat.