What is the most expensive single thing you ever bought in whole.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife.....still adding up the cost..........

House full of furniture for my first wife in 1998.  $8,000 cash from a company bonus.  ($11,500 inflation adjusted to 2013)   And then she had a fit when I bought a $750 rifle.  Naturally I pointed

House full of furniture for my first wife in 1998.  $8,000 cash from a company bonus.  ($11,500 inflation adjusted to 2013)

And then she had a fit when I bought a $750 rifle.  Naturally I pointed out her new furniture and she yells "That furniture is for US!"  Funny, I didn't have a problem with the old furniture.

Got a better wife now.

• Like 5

My boss just got a set, and he's really turned into a snoop! He must have them wide open. He's always been a micro-manager and a pest, bust since he got the hearing aids, he hears EVERYTHING and lurks around listening now. He never used to do that.

Sometimes technology sucks.

• Like 2

House full of furniture for my first wife in 1998.  $8,000 cash from a company bonus.  ($11,500 inflation adjusted to 2013)

And then she had a fit when I bought a $750 rifle.  Naturally I pointed out her new furniture and she yells "That furniture is for US!"  Funny, I didn't have a problem with the old furniture.

Got a better wife now.

Oh man!  I have been there.  Ran about 10K for our living room furniture, and now I am spending most of free time protecting it from the kids.  Good thing is that the furniture will be permanent.  If anything it will be reupholstered if it gets damaged, but that will be expensive too (leather).

The most expensive thing: my F-150.  35K (got a great deal and just about everything I wanted).  Great all-around pickup, and family "wagon".  I don't see it ever leaving me, I will likely just pop a new engine in when it dies.  Just a joy.

• Like 1

Made 140k on the sale of my house in Ca during the 2006 housing shortage.  Then handed over a personal check for 125k for the down payment for my CO home.  That was hard bastard to write at the time.  Sure would like to be able to write another one that wouldn't bounce, haha...

• Like 1

I paid cash at the hood river expo center for a bunch of winter sporting goods. The margins were better if you ordered at the show before production, better if you had shorter terms and freaking unreal when you waive cash at them. Most reps would accept checks for advanced terms and payment. It freaked a few people out the first day. One guy asked about the cash and trust issue. I just smiled and told him that everybody has a family. After getting wasted with all the reps that night, the next day everybody wanted to say hello at the booths.

I made a killing that year, got a huge discount for paying advance and in cash. I went to Oregon with $40,000 cash and came home with about $3,000. Basically purchased more gear, drank more booze and got laid more than ever in my life. No doubt that the reps figured out a way to give themselves a bonus. Good for them. I got my gear at close to nothing and sold it at a little under retail to keep the customer happy. Everybody had fun. Everybody got laid!

Thanks for the reminder that I used to be cool.

Heart Attack. LAD.  Over 14 years ago. Well over $100 grand, even then.  No insurance.  Like a fool I paid it all off.  HB of CJ (old coot) sad.pngsad.pngsad.png   I am sooosss lucky just to be here and that's a fact Jack. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

Holy hell! Well, you honored your contract. I would have had to break it in that case. Sorry you had that happen to you. Hope you got your money's worth! Be well!

$20K cash for an independent Honda bike shop in LA in the mid 70's, had an "Under New Management Sale" blew off the Honda stock recouped most of my cash outlay, closed the doors for 2 weeks and had a Grand Reopening as an independent  Harley shop

Hell yeah bro! The HOG guys had to love that event! Sell out the Rice and bring in the Hog! Rad!

Having my attached garage built. It was $25K cash. Second was $6K for central heat and air to be installed. After that was $5K for a bedroom suite. All of those were for my wife's benefit. I also spend a lot each month on my wife's hobby. She rides horses so she needed a new trailer, a new truck to pull that trailer as well as a place to board her horse. All of that costs well over $1K a month.

For me the most I have ever spent on myself at one time was $1k for a used car. As far as guns it was $619 for my Saiga. All my gun related stuff is bought a piece at a time or built a piece at a time.

In the next 6 months I am spending ~$5k on a brand new Grizzly lathe and tooling.

I enjoy giving my wife what she wants. She has giving more for my benefit than I could ever replace. I was in a helicopter accident in 2008. Since then she takes care of me and helps me with things I used to take for granted. Without her I am not sure where I would be right now but definitely a lot worse.