FINALLY a practical use for a gun laser

Well, I finally found a use for those stupid gun lasers.

Out here building a vacation home with my father out in the middle of nowhere in the Mohave Desert, and ran into a snag. It seems we forgot the water level in Florida, and my uncle in Nevada let the transit we gave him last time out here, get stolen off his truck. Building a cement and concrete block cabin, footing, slab, etc. You NEED a tool to get a precise height and such, so that everything is poured and built dead flat. well....I got to thinking....

Water will naturally go to level when undisturbed. Hmmm...Have a bucket and some water, check. Light will not bend without interruption such as glass or water....no humidity here. Have gun laser. hmmm. Installing a slab over a hydroponic tubing and insulation for a radiant ehat floor. hmm... silicone...

Yehp, I glued the gunsight to a square of 2" foam with silicone. Filled a bucket with water, plopped it in the center of the soon to be building, and shot the four corners. It works out friggin awesome...so long as you shoot just the four corners from the center of the room, it doesnt matter what the sight is set to, all four points will be exactly the same height. and I mean so exact, it was better than any transit or water level ive used. Concrete came out dead flat, and wall heights at ten feet are within 32nd of an inch of each other or less.

So the useless gun toy now has found a home in my toolbox. give it a whirl if you are in a pinch for a task like this.

post-83-0-90908500-1384631821_thumb.jpg

post-83-0-44429900-1384631924_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Best cat toy EVER! Plays them right out. I used to make my dad's cat go in circles so fast chasing the laser that she'd get dizzy and fall over. It'd be a couple of minutes until she could walk right. Funny as hell!

You have to be careful or you can run them right into the wall, or off  a flight of steps, or off the end of the balcony....they get so absorbed with the light.018.gif

Edited by patriot

Clever thinking.

I think they make a good communication tool too.

Elk hunting this week, can't decide if warning someone of my location using a high powered laser would be welcomed or considered a threat?

I'd send a round into your location back in my drinking days. If you did it to a cop or warden you would be arrested in Montana. Just use your grunt tube or rattlers. If it doesn't work use your whistle or flag them with orange.

Be safe out there.

• Like 1

I wasn't advocating flagging hunters, etc. IMO that would be reasonable for the other guy to interpret as a threat of force by you. A signal mirror and the noise mentioned might do better without that risk. Besides aren't hunters now pretty much required to wear a bolt of blaze orange with a strobe light on their head for safety?

I was implying that it might be a good way of communicating your level of intent to people who are actively intentionally threatening you. So far the aggregated incident reports show that lasers used in LE confrontations reduce # of times the situation escalates to shooting, and also the cops hit earlier and shoot less.

and the 32 of an inch error was prob the bs internals takin a dump on ya, and being out of whack

america, f^ck yeaH!!

I would guess ERROR due to BEAM THICKNESS at that distance...  the beam on the wall at 15 or 20 feet is probably 1/8" thick or so... ( with beam splatter) so to get 1/4 of THAT is pretty SNAZZY!! LOL :up:

Indy, yeh roughly.

as for the 1990s sight, yeh, thats how long its been since i discovered a laser on a gun is bull. ill take a high powered light any day, if im going to identify where i am in the dark, plus i can blind the bastard in the process. much more effective, in my opinion.

I dunno, it worked pretty damn good for this task though, so the couple dollars i spent so long ago finally came into use....

as for the cat and dog toy thing.....well, you can make them neurotic with it, and they will consantly look for the damn thing. kinda mean....