Pap M85pv 5.56 mags

I'm seeing Yugo Pap steel mags at really cheap prices (<$18) and can't find any reviews.  Has anyone tried them? 

If they're that cheap and still available, I'm wondering if something is wrong with them.

(Just noticed that they are distributed by CAI.....now I'm getting the picture)

Tnx!

Edited by Tim808

Yes they are distributed by CAI but are not made by them. Just like the PAP's CAI is only the importer and there monkey nut hammer fixes all asses don't have anything to do with the manufacture of either the gun or the mags. The only reason I know of for the mags to drop in price is a shipment just cleared customs and there is a surplus right now and the rumor is the next shipment of M-85's will come with the AR mag adaptor and if they do these mags aren't going to sell that quick.

I just modified 1 to fit in my Saiga yesterday. Now I need to function test it . The mods to the mag to get it to work in the Saiga are not worth the trouble. You have to remove a little material from the rear , you need to remove about 1mm to clear the trunnion,and then you need to re cut the area on the front of the mag for the bullet guide. They are on the AKM pattern.

Like others I picked up some because they were cheap ($20),they can be had for less now if you shop around.

They do have some sharp edges and to me appear to have been made in a hurry. They are tough and built like a tank.

Edited by mikebaker1129

Mike, do you have the "slabside" version of the S223, or does your receiver have magwell dimples?

If yours is the slabside, I think I'll order a couple of these mags and see what sort of fitting is required for the dimpled S223. It would be good for others to know what's required, since if these work unmodified for others, they would be a great mag option right now.

• Like 1

Schultze/Mike/Mancat - Thanks for the info!!  I'll try a few since they are so cheap and available.  I'll just store them away till I have time to mod & test with snap caps over the holidays.   Then I have save for ammo......sigh.

ps - Mancat - I've been reading your stuff the past week.......really good stuff!!  You need to do a sticky with all that info!!

Mancat mine is the slabside with the heavy barrel . I read a thread where someone converted these to fit a Valmet. That is my next task,since Valmet mags are $150ea and these are $20.I picked mine up from Copes,but I read somewhere Buds has them for less.

Edited by mikebaker1129
  • Like 1

Not worth caring about whether or not the Tapco ones fit, since Tapco Galils already work fine. The steel ones, well - see above.

Mike, I'm pretty sure that the Valmet will take Galil mags as well. They share the same general receiver specs. Can't say for sure though.

Yes the steel Yugo 85 mags can be made to fit a Saiga. I have to function test this before I give it a thumbs up.Galil mags are a no go in a Valmet in .223. Bulgy,Weiger and Yugo M85's can be made to work  in the Valmet. The bullets nose dive into the chamber with Galil mags,which is a shame because they lock right in.   

I would like to get my hands on some of the plastic Yugo mags and give them a try .

Edited by mikebaker1129
  • Like 1

I got mine M85pv to fit with a bit of work...finally.  Not sure its worth it depending on the functionality(not tested yet).  Filed clearance for the front trunnion and the bullet guide.  As well as the back of the mag for support bar clearance and shortened the length to fit the mag well.  I got the .223 slabside with heavy barrel.

update:  tested my M85 mag with 30 rounds of wolf 55 gr....worked great.  

Edited by ResponsiveResolve

I got mine M85pv to fit with a bit of work...finally.  Not sure its worth it depending on the functionality(not tested yet).  Filed clearance for the front trunnion and the bullet guide.  As well as the back of the mag for support bar clearance and shortened the length to fit the mag well.  I got the .223 slabside with heavy barrel.

I agree,it was a pain in the a$$.

Great news that the 85 mags work in the Saiga ! I cant wait to try mine out !

Edited by mikebaker1129

It sounds like the mods are very similar to those I made to my Weiger's. Is this so? Front to clear the bullet guide, feedlips to clear the trunion and a little mod to the mag catch tab to lock in completely ( I didn't have to mad to clear the support bar, though. But this isn't much work. I had top do this top get my circle tens to work.)? If so, not that big a deal and definitely worth it to get workable metal mags at this price.

It sounds like the mods are very similar to those I made to my Weiger's. Is this so? Front to clear the bullet guide, feedlips to clear the trunion and a little mod to the mag catch tab to lock in completely ( I didn't have to mad to clear the support bar, though. But this isn't much work. I had top do this top get my circle tens to work.)? If so, not that big a deal and definitely worth it to get workable metal mags at this price.

I think my second mag will go faster... I just used a hand file.  A wheel grinder would speed it up as well.  I really like the metal mag. 

Edited by ResponsiveResolve
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey mancat, I want to order Tapco's from J&G and they advertise that the m85pv mags for the Saiga .223 Now you said from personal experience that the Tapco Galil/Golani mags do work right? I just don't want to listen to j&g and buy something I have to file on to make it work. I have slabside if that matters. Thanks

The Tapco Galil mags work fine but usually are pretty loose in the Saiga, and the rear tab on the mag is pretty wimpy.

I don't know about their M85 version.. Maybe you could order one and find out for us since they're not much more than 10 bux?

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...

Hey guys, how do you think the plastic Yugo pap mags hold up against the promags? The pap mags are cheaper (by about 30-40%) but if they're a super pain to modify then I'll go with the promags. My rifle has a dimpled receiver with a flat trunnion that I'm ordering a guide for in the very near future.

Thanks.

Edited by RedbowTies88

The Promag AK 223 magazines (the non-Saiga mags WITHOUT a built-in bullet guide) are garbage, but they work.

If comparing all-plastic mags, the Tapgo Galil/M85 mags are a much higher quality molded piece overall.

Hey guys, how do you think the plastic Yugo pap mags hold up against the promags? The pap mags are cheaper (by about 30-40%) but if they're a super pain to modify then I'll go with the promags. My rifle has a dimpled receiver with a flat trunnion that I'm ordering a guide for in the very near future.

Thanks.

If they can work in your rifles, the Yugo mags will be much preferable, even if you do have to spend time modifying them. A dremel makes these things quick.

I have never understood how people could buy AKs - one of the toughest, most reliable firearms available - and then ruin the system by using fragile, unreliable magazines like ProMags. ProMags are garbage, and the company deserves to go out of business.

Edited by Jim Digriz
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got my M85pv mags yesterday. I was able to fit one by carefully filing a few areas around the front lug only. When I got the mag to insert all the way forward the rear of the mag cleared the cross rivet and locked in VERY solid with zero wobble. I still have to install a bullet guide but it hand cycled 100% without one. My Saiga223s magwell is 100% unmodified. At this point I'm ordering 10 more from grabagun while they are still in stock for $10. I'm going to be installing my bullet guide and testing it this week but everything looks really good so far.

Edited by Vance665

I got my M85pv mags yesterday. I was able to fit one by carefully filing a few areas around the front lug only. When I got the mag to insert all the way forward the rear of the mag cleared the cross rivet and locked in VERY solid with zero wobble. I still have to install a bullet guide but it hand cycled 100% without one. My Saiga223s magwell is 100% unmodified. At this point I'm ordering 10 more from grabagun while they are still in stock for $10. I'm going to be installing my bullet guide and testing it this week but everything looks really good so far.

You may have to modify them slightly to clear the bullet guide. I had to.

Another thing I noticed about these mags - or, at least the one that I've bothered to fit to my rifle so far - is that they can fit 31 rounds, but cannot insert into my rifle with 31 loaded. Not that I meant to load 31 (I wasn't counting), but if anyone experiences problems locking them in, that may be a reason why.

Incidentally - for anyone who might be interested - I'm going to be selling my Saiga 223 soon to fund other projects. It is converted already, with an AK74 front sight block (installed by Cadiz Gun Works), and runs reliably with Weiger, Arsenal, and Yugo M85 mags (among others). I will be posting pics and more info next week in a WTS ad.

Edited by Jim Digriz

You may have to modify them slightly to clear the bullet guide. I had to.

Yes I'm going to have to file another 1/16th-1/8th inch off the front to clear the bullet guide. After it's done and I get some rounds down range ill post pictures of the modified mag next to one unmodified.

I got three more mags fitted and my bullet guide installed. These mags are well built but very inconsistent. Out of the four mags I fitted they all have some variation from one to another making it necessary to constantly test fit. Once I got them all locking in I found the rear on some mags were not sitting high enough, causing the bolt to not pick up rounds. 2 out of 4 I had to remove material from the top of the rear locking lug. After fitting to get the rear of the mags sitting correctly there is not enough material on the bottom of the rear locking lug to hold the mag all the way up. My next step will be welding about a 1/16 of an inch onto the bottom of the rear lugs.

Its quite a bit of work getting these to fit and I was aware that it would be. I still think these mags are worth it if you're on a budget. You're going to need a good set of files, about a half hour of filing per mag, access to a welder and a way to refinish the mags when you're done. If you don't want to spend a bunch of time test fitting and possibly adding weld to build up the rear tabs these mags are not for you.