galil 52 ace lookalike.

Just saw the new galil models. They are very sweet. I especially like the 308 version. I wanted to see if anyone had thought about making a clone from a saiga 308. I really hope IMI make a civilan version. The SBR x39mm version was very drool worthy.

Ill be will to bey someone will make so parts to doll up a regular AK. Thoughts?

If you're gonna do it, the Ace folding stock is a great start.  The issue is that even though it's based on the AK design, the Galil has some differences that make a stamped receiver clone a bit more difficult to make.  I was discussing some of those differences in another topic somewhere on here.

Your best bet is to just build a Galil to be quite honest.  The Galil is actually very builder friendly once you get your milled receiver.  Barrel is screwed in not press fitted.  Once you get your gas port drilled and gas block set up right, the tube is elementary because the receiver helps keep it in place.  Match up your top cover for a light press fit with the back of your receiver, use a big roll pin to press fit the stock in place and so forth.  It's real simple.

I understand the appeal of the Galil though, I own one, a 5.56 model.  Got a great deal on it, glad I didn't pass it up.

Im not so worried about it being exactly like a galil as much as I like the look. I have really hope someone comes out with a look alike handguard. If you took an ace handguard and did up the front sight then weld on some rail blanks machined to fit both the top cover and gas tube that would look sweet.

Also read that on the ace the lower receiver is polymer including the mag release

It is still a steel receiver.  The mag housing and pistol grip section is one section below the receiver however.  The gas block and front sight however is different.  It is angled more like a trapezoid.  It also has a left side charging handle as well.

You can have someone create a copy of the handguard if you know a machinist.

I know a machinist but I try to limit my custom requests. Hes family and wont take payment for the barrels ive had shortened and or threaded so I feel bad asking for extreme stuff.

And I was giving some thought to a left side handle and thumb Safety along with working up a left side dust cover. Maybe the dust cover could ramped in the front where the charging handle would hit it and push it down. I thought about machining a track for the cover to run in attached where the old side rail would have been. Then welding up the old dust cover/safety so it would just be an ejection port, I saw a rifle on this forum with a thumb safety and the old safety welded up on the top cover in the manner. Of course the right handle is cut off.

If anyone knows the rifle I'm talking about could you post a link or something.

Well I've noticed from pictures the Galil ACE models might have a track cover.  Not sure how that might work but the S12 has a track cover of sorts and that idea may help keep debris and stuff out from falling into the track.  While it is an AK, every little bit helps.

I understand how you feel though about your family member.  As a machinist student and being in a family of a bunch of yupees, my family for the most part doesn't really understand what it is that I am learning to do.  I think they have a hard time understanding that most everything that is manufactured does not just fall from the sky, somebody has to make it.

Edited by ShadowFire

Yeah not everyone can do what a machinist can do.  I can even write up a blueprint if I need to, over anything, aerospace, auto parts, whatever.  I'm sure he can too, it's common knowledge in the profession.  I have one fellow student that hasn't even graduated yet and already has a patent for a new end mill for a company he used to co-op for.

Yep given the time he could do anything make any part of an ak. But his time is money and he's always busy so I only ask for simple things. He recently made a die for handloading. It make the gas checks. The dies his friend had would punch the round disk the another die would crimp it to be attached to solid lead bullet. He made a die that did both. Good machinist are amazing what they can make. He does all his work by cnc since all the customers require blueprints and stuff. And it's easier with cnc.

It's easier but it isn't.  You have to program it, then check your codes, run your program through to make sure you don't crash before you actually do crash, then run the program and then check it for quality.

The trade off is accuracy.  CNC mill will beat a vertical mill in accuracy.  The advantage of the manual vertical mill is speed.  You write your print, get your material, square it and go, then check it for quality.  That's why some companies still hang on to a manual vertical mill, if they need it now and can deal with more room for tolerance, to the vertical mill they go.

Same with the lathe too.

His machines are Manule with cmc added on. I alwsys show him ar handguards and stuff like that and tell him what they sell for and he always says buy it it would cost me ten times that to machine. His cnc is all about production. He may make 10 of the same part and it easier then to just set up and go.

Yeah you can do that.  It's not as accurate as a designed CNC as you will still have lash in the controls but you can do it.  And that is correct, you kind of have to set it up for a production run sometimes.  Unless you can find scrap he can work with that is the right metallurgy for the application you have, then he can probably do a one piece deal.

Oh he could make anything I just can bring myself to ask him since I know it takes away from his time.

I finally got an a2 flashider for my 308 that he threaded. I think I may shorten the barrel as much as possible and pin and weld thr flashider back on to give me 16".

Right now ive got a new posp scope im playing with but a combo dogleg railed top cover with a linch fal style charging handle on the left would be awesome.

• Like 1

That would be awesome.  I wanna see pics when you get it all done.  I have an IMBEL FAL being shipped to my FFL right now speaking of FALs.

Which style charging handle do you think you'll go with?  I like the Argentinian/IMBEL style and the Israeli style.  Tried my friend's L1A1 FAL and the handle hurt my hand when I had to jack the handle back hard after a malfunction so I don't like commonwealth style.

Im not super familiar with the different handles but I like the one thats a fixed knob I know the folding ones that come with the linch cover look better but I may end up just doing a handle on the bolt. I also saw this tws top cover with an integral aimpoint micro mount that provides cow witness in the lower third. Primary arms has the cover with their cheap red dot as a combo for a very reasonable price. I also just made a deal on a top cover with rail that im going to play with and possibly if I can find enough fal parts try my home brew linch cover.

Commonwealth style is the folding style.  The Argentinian/IMBEL style is the most common, it's a fixed knob, I think FN came up with it on the originals but I'm not sure.  Israeli style is fixed but has a built in forward assist because the FAL was not originally designed to be sand friendly and it still isn't despite the UKs answer with the sand cuts on their bolt carriers.

But yeah I'd go with a fixed handle on the AK like you have in mind myself.  You could do it with a fixed handle on the carrier with a copy on the left side, the original on the right side of the carrier like normal and have it ambidextrous like the ACR but with an AK twist.  Use a thin rubber on the left hand slot to keep out debris and still be able to charge it.

I really like the look of nailbombs rifle in the 223 forum tgread title industrial 223. The way he lost the original handle and welded up the top cover to give it a totally new look but with that I would need a thumb safety.

I wonder how hard would it be to make an r&r style safety. I think looking at it it wouldnt be that hard to make.