School refuses to release children to father, father arrested

Something has to change here.

Were they going to give me a number to call? It seemed he was going to provide a number.

I hope that deputy gets fired. That arrest was illegal, for the sole reason that he was arresting for the guy being beligerent. He clearly wasnt, as any jury can see from the video, which they even had permission to give (not that they needed it).

Then the bozo deputy starts threatening cars in the line. There should be some form of "brandishing" of authority on this sort of behavior. He could get in trouble twice then.

And what the heck is wrong with getting your kids by walking up? Is he mad because the guy didnt have to wait in the car line? Ridiculous!

Edited by Remek

A comment from this site:

http://www.wate.com/story/24005228/cumberland-county-parent-releases-video-of-his-arrest-by-a-school-resource-officer

"Call to tell them what you think! I called the State Police 615-744-4000. The school district at 931-484-6135, the school at 931-788-6713, the sheriff's office at 931-484-6176, the district attorney's office 931-484-6176. Tim Claslin is the head of security, call him as well at the school district office 931-484-6135. Tell him how wrong this is! Apparently Bruce Simmons is taking calls for the school district. Please call them and tell them it is wrong! Please be polite and tell them how wrong this is... and call tomorrow and the next day and next week... call and call until they admit how wrong they are! Let this go viral until they understand that their actions and policy is soooo wrong!"

Something has to change here.

Were they going to give me a number to call? It seemed he was going to provide a number.

I'm gonna guess that he was relaying his lawyer's phone number to his wife.

Personally I would've loved to see cars in line box in the cop and refuse to let him leave with the man, but unfortunately nobody would've known what was going on.

And what the heck is wrong with getting your kids by walking up? Is he mad because the guy didn't have to wait in the car line? Ridiculous!

Because schools now operate in the same model as a lot of other bureaucracies. Any action other than what is explicitly stated in written agreement is not allowed. There will always be some excuse such as liability given. When he refused to sign the walk-home release form, that should've been the end to it, but rigid bureaucracies don't work like that. The only other "allowed" option was for him to pick his kids up in the line of cars. Otherwise the school opens themselves to legal liability - don't tell me that this is ridiculous, I know it is, but this is how school departments (and all other government agencies) seem to operate now.

Blame lawyers.

Edited by mancat

Conditioning of the masses to accept any and all authority without question. They should be glad the father was a decent man and complied when the officer told him to put his hands behind his back. You can only abuse authority for so long before losing the respect of those you serve (I use that term mockingly).

When other men start to view you as an idiot with a job acting like you're god, this is not good...especially when family members are involved and the stakes are high. 

• Like 2

I would also like to add that kids are babied way too much with regard to getting in/out of school these days. I see parents all around my house who sit in their cars at the end of their roads (lots of houses on long gravel roads where I'm at), waiting for the bus to arrive to pick up and drop off their kids. Seriously? Your kids can stand in the rain. Afraid that your kids will get kidnapped? Give them a walkie talkie.

If you're going to sit there idling in your car waiting for the bus, why don't you just drive your damn kids to school?

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I would also like to add that kids are babied way too much with regard to getting in/out of school these days. I see parents all around my house who sit in their cars at the end of their roads (lots of houses on long gravel roads where I'm at), waiting for the bus to arrive to pick up and drop off their kids. Seriously? Your kids can stand in the rain. Afraid that your kids will get kidnapped? Give them a walkie talkie.

If you're going to sit there idling in your car waiting for the bus, why don't you just drive your damn kids to school?

Depends on the kids age, but overall I agree. You cannot let paranoia run your life.

And yes, just drive them.

A comment from this site:

http://www.wate.com/story/24005228/cumberland-county-parent-releases-video-of-his-arrest-by-a-school-resource-officer

"Call to tell them what you think! I called the State Police 615-744-4000. The school district at 931-484-6135, the school at 931-788-6713, the sheriff's office at 931-484-6176, the district attorney's office 931-484-6176. Tim Claslin is the head of security, call him as well at the school district office 931-484-6135. Tell him how wrong this is! Apparently Bruce Simmons is taking calls for the school district. Please call them and tell them it is wrong! Please be polite and tell them how wrong this is... and call tomorrow and the next day and next week... call and call until they admit how wrong they are! Let this go viral until they understand that their actions and policy is soooo wrong!"

Fighting the good fight is always so tiring. Calling.... Thanks for he numbers!

That's not how you deal with someone who is not being aggressive.

The deputy makes no attempt to de-escalate the situation (on camera). He let's his anger and insecurity get the better of him.

If you're an asshole, your more likely to run into trouble. Walking that line is part of the job, IMHO. (This is what I've been told by my friends in law enforcement.)

Time for that guy to retire, before he messes with a parent taking a drug to quit smoking. :)

Edited by Sim_Player

Me and the wife have been thinking about home schooling when the time come in the next few years things like this make that decision a lot easier.

if you do, you have to make sure he or she has a decent social circle and be dedicated to his or her education. So many p people with good intentions neglect important parts of home schooling and cause a different list of issues

while from the stand point of if it's my child I'm going to be more than a little inclined to do what I think is best for their safety.

this guy staged this to get arrested and he got what he wanted so well done.

the video showed this was not his 1st trip to the school on this and having filmed he knew what would happen.

problem is he didn't fix the problem he started too low on the totem pole, grunts just take orders, take your issue to the person who gives orders.

while from the stand point of if it's my child I'm going to be more than a little inclined to do what I think is best for their safety.

this guy staged this to get arrested and he got what he wanted so well done.

the video showed this was not his 1st trip to the school on this and having filmed he knew what would happen.

problem is he didn't fix the problem he started too low on the totem pole, grunts just take orders, take your issue to the person who gives orders.

What? I cannot understand half of what you wrote.

He wanted to get arrested? What are you even talking about?

Edited by HappYBallZ