Are the Magpul AK mags ever coming?

I can't figure out why anyone would want these.  Surplus mags are running about $10 right now and a plastic mag will never be as durable.  If they were reinforced like the Bulgy circle 10's, then they might be on to something.

YMMV

They already said that they were going to make a mag that is steel reinforced. I don't know why they are planning to have both a non reinforced and a reinforced mag. Wouldn't it be better to just produce the reinforced mag to begin with and call it a day?

I wonder....could magpul have a radical new AK magazine design in the works and that's what causing the delay?

It is magpul so you never know. I don't see them producing a mag that has a high risk of breaking (all plastic) and possibly hurting their awesome reputation.

I was thinking something along the lines of a system. Like say a polymer with steel magwell that just snaps in place and then you use a proprietary magpul AK magazine. That doesn't alter the rifle and allows you to use regular AK mags when you want.

I can't figure out why anyone would want these.  Surplus mags are running about $10 right now and a plastic mag will never be as durable.  If they were reinforced like the Bulgy circle 10's, then they might be on to something.

I'm with you on that, the market is flooded with cheap surplus AK mags. unless the MAGPUL  mags load themselves, I'm not falling for the marketing hype that MAGPUL is known for,

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I'm with you on that, the market is flooded with cheap surplus AK mags. unless the MAGPUL  mags load themselves, I'm not falling for the marketing hype that MAGPUL is known for,

+1 on that.  I have about 100 AR magazines and they all work just fine.  None are Magpul.

If I actually "needed" some mags, I might try a Magpul, but I don't.

YMMV

Where do you find surplus steel AK mags at?

YMMV

Where do you find surplus steel AK mags at?

Palmetto state armory has some

And if you want new steel mags cdnn has them for $19.

I wouldn't pay extra for new but some people don't mind paying a few bucks more.

I have new ones.  I have used ones.  I have ones that have almost no finish left.  They all work.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I dont get the point of them? Whats wrong with surplus? So far no US company, that I can think of, has made a AK mag worth a damn. US Palm are a joke, an expansive Tapco. At least Tapco know they suck and charge accordingly

• Like 1

because AR mags have the full upper quarter or so of the whole mag body which will accept stress.

AK mags put all of the stress on the two latching tabs, and the rock in mechanism doesn't really allow for a deeper skirted magwell that is snug on all sides of the top quarter of the mag.

But you would still figure someone has invented a durable enough plastic for the job.  I look at pmags getting run over by hummers and they don't crack or split.  If the sidewalls which are pretty thin can take that much pressure, why couldn't the same material made just a bit thicker for the locking tabs withstand getting dropped?  I know, I know, if it were that simple, somebody would have already invented it.  That's why I was thinking that maybe magpul was working on a proprietary ak magwell that would work with proprietary ak mags.  The magwell is a one time purchase and then you just buy the mags.  Something along those lines could become popular fairly fast.

DLT, the newest Polish 5.56 military Beryl mags dropped the steel inserts completely, so apparently whatever plastic they are using (the green clear stuff) passes all of their stress tests.

I doubt a higher quality all-plastic AK mag would crack or split being run over loaded, but unless the latching tabs are substantial, they can still break.

but on that note, there is no reason why the AK receiver couldn't use drop-free mags in every caliber. the problem is that there are just so many rock-in mags out there, nobody cares to do that. I mean it defeats the whole idea of having a huge supply of milspec mags out there.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1