Are the Magpul AK mags ever coming?

Plus one mancat. The main reason I don't run magwells on my AKs is the fact I have a shit ton of surplus rock and locks. Nothing wrong with AR Pmags though. I use them exclusivley as they cannot be inadvertently smashed or damaged enough to render them non operational. USGI mags can be smashed pretty easily.

• Like 1

DLT, the newest Polish 5.56 military Beryl mags dropped the steel inserts completely, so apparently whatever plastic they are using (the green clear stuff) passes all of their stress tests.

I doubt a higher quality all-plastic AK mag would crack or split being run over loaded, but unless the latching tabs are substantial, they can still break.

but on that note, there is no reason why the AK receiver couldn't use drop-free mags in every caliber. the problem is that there are just so many rock-in mags out there, nobody cares to do that. I mean it defeats the whole idea of having a huge supply of milspec mags out there.

I hear you bro, and agree.  Bty, how are your slabside tapco's doing?  I've been considering drilling little port holes or a thin window on the side of the mag body so as to determine round count at a glance.  I don't think it would effect overall rigidity of the mag.  Thoughts? 

Well it isn't that I am all that in love with plastic mags, I just don't have access to the limitless supply of surplus steel mags that some of you have encountered. What few steel AK mags there are near where I live look like hammered owl shit and are high priced comparitively. I have bought a few tapco mags until I can find something better and I bought one US Palm.

I have found a guy that has new bulgarian metal mags at a decent price. I plan to buy a few and give them a try.

The slabside Tapcos are fine but I probably won't be buying more of them because honestly I'm maxed out on 7.62x39 mags of every type. I think I'm done.

I dunno about drilling out the sides.. The Tapco mags do have the fully-loaded indicator location on the back spine but it's not drilled from the factory. Take a look on the back of the mag, you will see a little oval-shaped indent in the mold about 3/4 way down of the spine. Drill at the inner edge of the indent, and now you have the fully-loaded indicator that will allow you to see the primer of the bottom round when loaded to 30. I guess theoretically you could do this for every other round in the mag, which would give you a pretty good idea, but definitely not as easy as having a window like a Pmag.

I bought ten (I think?) of the Polish plastic 7.62x39 mags a couple months back (they were $7 ea so why not) and have had zero issues with them, but plouffedaddy from Akfiles broke one on purpose, but it took several drops from like 9 feet (been a while since I watched the video I guess it wasn't that high really) loaded onto hard pack dirt to do it..  That will probably fuck up a steel mag too.  They can and do bend, just like USGI AR mags mentioned above. At least you can (usually) salvage them though.

Edited by mancat

Well it isn't that I am all that in love with plastic mags, I just don't have access to the limitless supply of surplus steel mags that some of you have encountered. What few steel AK mags there are near where I live look like hammered owl shit and are high priced comparitively. I have bought a few tapco mags until I can find something better and I bought one US Palm.

I have found a guy that has new bulgarian metal mags at a decent price. I plan to buy a few and give them a try.

you do have access to a limitless supply of steel mags.. buy them on the internet.

very rarely do I walk into a Washington gun store and find a lot of steel mags for a good price. usually they carry Tapco or Promag if anything. I've ordered all of my mags over the internet.

Didn't the Masada become the ACR?

Yeah, with Remington/Bushmaster finishing it. While they do make decent products, I'm not going to get too excited about this.

When it first hit the market they had to recall them because some were going full auto or slam firing till the mag was empty. At least that's what a dealer told me.

Didn't the Masada become the ACR?

Yeah, with Remington/Bushmaster finishing it. While they do make decent products, I'm not going to get too excited about this.

When it first hit the market they had to recall them because some were going full auto or slam firing till the mag was empty. At least that's what a dealer told me.

Yeah they had some guys on YouTube that received one that was firing in burst. Can't find the video now. I would love to have an acr but I REALLY want one of those Tavors lol

The Masada was sold to Remington after they realized the cost to continue with R&d amongst other things.

For the mags, there is pros and cons of each, but I prefer the surplus side for all aspects.

And the Internet is the best way to obtain mags of any sort in my area.

you do have access to a limitless supply of steel mags.. buy them on the internet.

very rarely do I walk into a Washington gun store and find a lot of steel mags for a good price. usually they carry Tapco or Promag if anything. I've ordered all of my mags over the internet.

While I do buy many items from the internet (five different purchases this week) I have had a couple of bad experiences with surplus mag purchases ("new in wrap milspec" .45 mags that wouldn't feed and also some supposedly new AR 15 mags that were not) so I am a lay my hands on it before purchase guy when it comes to mags now. A friend is in the mag and ammo business on the side and he just brought the new bulgarians in so now I can see them as I buy them.

Ive herd good feedback on the tapco mags from a few guys at my local shop, but just cant drop the price on them when I can have so many Russian and Bulgy mags on hand. I would like to try some though even if its just for range use exclusively.