Should i or shouldnt i?

• 1 month later...

if I were you, I would stock up HEAVY AND DEEP on the ammo, if you buy it. the surplus 5.45 is reasonably priced and readily available, for now. but for a history lesson, surplus 7.62x51 was cheap and plentiful back in the day also.

buy it cheap stock it deep

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

if I were you, I would stock up HEAVY AND DEEP on the ammo, if you buy it. the surplus 5.45 is reasonably priced and readily available, for now. but for a history lesson, surplus 7.62x51 was cheap and plentiful back in the day also.

+1 to that. You missed the boat on cheap mags, but they can still be found for $25 each, which the price of the ammo will quickly make up for.

As far as the rifle itself, do it. I bought mine on a whim and it quickly became my favorite. Every single person that's ever fired it has been amazed at how sweet the round is, including two AR owners.

the other nice thing is there are stripper clips for 5.45. these are steel so they won't wear out like the 5.56 ones, these will outlast you and keep on going biggrin.png.  you can fit 600 rounds in a 30cal can, makes for a small footprint. 2 clips will load a 30 round mag in no time, so you don't need to take a lot of mags, just a couple.  they are kinda pricey now, compared to when I bought mine, but your thumb will thank you. biggrin.png

600_rounds_5_45mm_on_clips.jpg

+1 to that. You missed the boat on cheap mags, but they can still be found for $25 each, which the price of the ammo will quickly make up for.

As far as the rifle itself, do it. I bought mine on a whim and it quickly became my favorite. Every single person that's ever fired it has been amazed at how sweet the round is, including two AR owners.

No idea how good these are but they are pretty cheap limit 6 per customer   

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/ak530daeapom.html

No idea how good these are but they are pretty cheap limit 6 per customer   

CDNN

Description on the black one says Steel Reinforced Lips.  Doesn't say that on the brown one.  They look the same though.  Not a bad price.

Anyone have these?

Edited by NM0

the other nice thing is there are stripper clips for 5.45. these are steel so they won't wear out like the 5.56 ones, these will outlast you and keep on going biggrin.png.  you can fit 600 rounds in a 30cal can, makes for a small footprint. 2 clips will load a 30 round mag in no time, so you don't need to take a lot of mags, just a couple.  they are kinda pricey now, compared to when I bought mine, but your thumb will thank you. biggrin.png

600_rounds_5_45mm_on_clips.jpg

Best deal I can find right now is RobertRTG. The clips are $3 for 4 clips. Also, if you get the charger from Numrich and use the daily coupon code you get when you call, you can get the charger for $3.55 w/ free shipping.

Best deal I can find right now is RobertRTG. The clips are $3 for 4 clips. Also, if you get the charger from Numrich and use the daily coupon code you get when you call, you can get the charger for $3.55 w/ free shipping.

75 cents a clip is a great deal, especially when you know they will never wear out or break so you won't be throwing away money buying another one. like  the 5.56 clips with that little brass tab that always breaks after a few uses, then the clip becomes useless

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 5.45 Saiga! It quickly became my favorite gun.

It's such an accurate little round, with the recoil of an AR.

Buy several spam cans, enough to last the life of the rifle.

I also built a Bulgarian kit. It's finished and I'm itching to take it out to see how it runs.

post-38865-0-29724700-1389592241_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sim_Player

Sorry if a dumb question, but isn't most 5.45 cheap ammo corrosive? I know it is not a huge deal to shoot it and clean it, but just thought that might be a consideration.

BTW, I do not own a 5.45. All mine are 7.62, so I have really no experience with this round. Everyone I know that owns one loves it. Someday I will make the jump, but it is just so damn expensive right now getting a new caliber started between mags and ammo. I am one of those 10 mags/1k rounds of ammo per gun guys, and just not cost effective right now to jump into the 5.45. But like I said, everyone I know that owns one says it is their favorite rifle.

Edited by Semper299

Sorry if a dumb question, but isn't most 5.45 cheap ammo corrosive? I know it is not a huge deal to shoot it and clean it, but just thought that might be a consideration.

BTW, I do not own a 5.45. All mine are 7.62, so I have really no experience with this round. Everyone I know that owns one loves it. Someday I will make the jump, but it is just so damn expensive right now getting a new caliber started between mags and ammo. I am one of those 10 mags/1k rounds of ammo per gun guys, and just not cost effective right now to jump into the 5.45. But like I said, everyone I know that owns one says it is their favorite rifle.

For $180 you can have the 1k rounds part covered. Mags are still an issue though.

i got all 4 of my bulgarian mags for 80.00 shipped.

I bought all my Russian mags for dirt cheap back when Vlad was still selling them from soviet military. Ive seen his prices jump quite a bit not too long after I bought all mine. Im glad I got them when I did.

I was at the range today, and had this said to me by the guy at the next bench:

"Is that an AK-74? My friend just bought one. He said it's his favorite gun now."

I kid you not.

That doesn't surprise me but, the timing is funny.

I won't lie. I like the recoil.

i got all 4 of my bulgarian mags for 80.00 shipped.

I bought all my Russian mags for dirt cheap back when Vlad was still selling them from soviet military. Ive seen his prices jump quite a bit not too long after I bought all mine. Im glad I got them when I did.

and your going to sell me some at the same price!  big_smile.gif your too kind!  victory.gif

TIMTIMTIM Did you acquire a 5.45 yet?

Also anyone sharing a source on cheap Milsurp mags is always appreciated. Picked up a few back when they were 9 bucks a pop...not enough.

After playing with the 4 stripper clips I bought recently I went ahead and ordered enough to do the 600rds in a 30cal can. Thanks for the info on RobertRTG W8lifter and inspirational pic Matthew Hopkins.

Edited by NM0

My favorite here is the Saiga Legion 74, and have about 17 russian plum mags (stocked years ago before panic). Also have a 30cal can packed full with strippers. Its excellent grab and go. Several spam cans long term. Loading at range is awesome because its 15 rounds/stripper. Rounds won't fall off without using the charger (most annoying thing about other clips are loose rounds). Make sure you get a couple chargers. Keep one tied inside a pouch and the other in the ammo can.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up a AK mag loader at CDNN works with 5.45 and 7.62, simple and easy to use.

About the 5.45 cal. rifles .... once you shoot one it's all over ........ I'm at 3 of them now.

Picked up some Hornady hunting rounds to try out on a wild boar.

post-48978-0-84343300-1392010794.jpg

Edited by SaigaFL

About the 5.45 cal. rifles .... once you shoot one it's all over ........ I'm at 3 of them now.

Very true, I shot one full auto at Knob Creek and  knew I had to have it, shot one at a local range about a year later, and wanted it even more.

Took a few years to finally do it, but now I have one and I love it.