Should i or shouldnt i?

Wish I hadn't seen this thread.

At the range yesterday I shot a fella's just-purchased-hours-old domestic 762x39. Then I let him enjoy my Vepr .308*. He was going on about his other AKs and especially 545.** Now its stuck in my head and need to have one soon.

*I also have a Saiga 762x39. 545 will by my third AK

**What's the worst on shooting the corrosive stuff, how bad, what's involved, whats the worst?

The only thing different with the 5.45's for me is that I clean them when I get back from shooting.  Boil water, pour down barrel and gas tube then clean like normal.  Don't remember last time I really cleaned my 7.62's. 

Picked up multiple crates when they were .13 a round to the door.

if I were you, I would stock up HEAVY AND DEEP on the ammo, if you buy it. the surplus 5.45 is reasonably priced and readily available, for now. but for a history lesson, surplus 7.62x51 was cheap and plentiful back in the day also.

buy it cheap stock it deep

man this is why the sh1t's going up in price..

Edited by S12KS-K

if I were you, I would stock up HEAVY AND DEEP on the ammo, if you buy it. the surplus 5.45 is reasonably priced and readily available, for now. but for a history lesson, surplus 7.62x51 was cheap and plentiful back in the day also.

buy it cheap stock it deep

man this is why the sh1t's going up in price..

oh fuck, get real.

it goes up in price,  during  panic buying frenzies, when everybody and their brothers,  that owns anything that goes bang goes out and panic buys cases of it and  bringing the supply down, and prices go up and up.

right now, for the time being,  there is no panic buying frenzies, the  ones that aren't taking advantage of this all have this dumb and happy look on their faces passing by good deals on ammo, thinking another panic buy will never happen again. so this is the best opportune  time to shop around for the best price and buy a lot of it. 

if you're not that smart to know that, then when the panic does hit, like it will  coming this  nov (election year, historically it always happens), then you're going to be like all the other fools that didn't take advantage of the lull,  and will be scrambling to find ammo and will pay the "stupid tax" on it"

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I, not to long ago, purchased a nice AR from DPMS.  I had hoped that the price of ammo would drop.  Sadly, around my area the cheapest you can find it is 8.99.  Come this summer I fully intend to get a AK-74.  Im not going to trick it out.  Just put poly furnature on it and keep it at that.   Its probably going to be a waffenwerks.  I could give 2 shits if its corrosive ammo.  Hot water and windex clean that right up.  It will become my truck gun.  Paying under 230 for a full case of ammo is spot on if you ask me.  And yes, I'm going to buy it in bulk, and store that shit up.

Just got a crate from wideners for 350 shipped, will be picking up another in a few months and probably one after that before election panic hits. The mags are worth the money as they are all pretty much good to go for the life of the rifle.

I have east german bakelite(some type of resin compound actually), polish tantal steel , bulgarian circle 10 and 21, russian plums, they all are worth the money as they are all overly built for the round. I suspect they would outlast any ar-15 magazine under repeated hard use.

Just got a crate from wideners for 350 shipped, will be picking up another in a few months and probably one after that before election panic hits. The mags are worth the money as they are all pretty much good to go for the life of the rifle.

I have east german bakelite(some type of resin compound actually), polish tantal steel , bulgarian circle 10 and 21, russian plums, they all are worth the money as they are all overly built for the round. I suspect they would outlast any ar-15 magazine under repeated hard use.

I had one gripe with the steel Tantal mags. The edge under the front locking lug tended to get hung up on the receiver if you inserted the mag at too much of an angle. They were built like tanks (actually seemed to be more robust than their 7.62 counterparts) and were super reliable, but it hampered quick mag changes. Just something to keep in mind if you're trying to decide between those and Bulgies. Sold the ones I had off for 21s.

Edited by W8lifter

I like having some that are metal, it is just a pet peeve of mine. I prefer the bulgies for the weight but my tantals are my backups they seem to go in and out fine on my rifles, may buy a few more if they become available at a reasonable price, at 25 bucks they are not as good as circle mags but at the 10 bucks I paid there worth every penny.

Stripper clips and guides are high priority for me as it seems to be a very effecient way of storing ammo and charging mags.

Edited by dashowdy