hollow point vs soft and Russian ammo

I came across a couple of YouTube videos that I found interesting.

Interesting related conversation here too, especially about the corroding of un-coated ammo.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/160888-wolf-vs-wolf-military-classic-2.html

And this:

http://ak47talk.blogspot.com/2010/06/762x39-guide.html

I own three Saiga sport unconverted rifles chambered in 223, 7.62×39, and 308.

I have mostly stocked up and been plinking and have for hunting and sport and personal home defense, (God forbid ever actually needed), mostly Wolf military classic hollowpoint.

Pretty much everything else I have has been Russian steel cased hollowpoint.

Want to get some opinions please:

In these videos, and many of the tags, there are differing opinions on whether or not the Wolf military classic, and some of the other Russian ammo, is actually hollowpoint, or just cut in such a way as to make them more accurate. Agree, disagree?

I am going to focus more on the home self-defense ammo.

An important point: my 7.62 x 39 is my primary home self-defense weapon.

There is also disagreement as to whether or not hollowpoint or soft point would be a better choice for home self-defense. From what I gather it seems that soft point would be better for potential barrier penetration, such as body armor or punching through hiding places, etc., again God forbid, and hollowpoint would be more devastating for internal damage. Agree, disagree?

I was steered away from the full metal jacket type of ammo in general because I was told by some people I respect that the hollowpoint and/or soft point was a better self-defense ammo.
Agree, disagree?

I have seen some postings were in some people are claiming that the Wolf military classic is no longer coated so it will corrode easily. Agree disagree?

The choice of using less expensive Russian-made ammo, whatever form it may be, good idea? Bad idea? Only to be used generally for non-self-defense plinking, sports, hunting, etc.?

Any other thoughts of any type appreciated

Edited by AShotInTheDark

I only buy FMJ and soft points in 7.62x39.  The HPs will not always feed properly in some AKs that are based on military parts kits, including one that I have built on a 1974 dated Romy parts kit.  I would personally choose soft points for expansion in your application, but to be honest, I doubt if you will see any significant difference between the ammo types in a home defense role.  All 3 bullet types will tend toward overpenetration in rifle calibers.

• Like 1

The hollow points from wolf and tula act almost just like any FMJ. They just keep going and travel 10" in gel before they are upset in the least.

you are much better off with wolf softpoint for home defense. It wont defeat barriers as well as hollow point but it should still would fine. For going through dry wall, TVs, about anything in a House will be concealment not cover.

IMO I would buy some of the Hornady steel match its loaded with a ballistic tip and will out preform all the Russian steel stuff. It may cost you but being as its defense ammo not blasting stuff you wont need a ton. Just enough to make sure it works.

And I have a question your in new york correct? Arent you afraid if you use a evil black gun to defend youself youll get a bad rap in court? And u once heard that hollow point ammo was illegal in new york? And one last point if you are in new your and you are limited to 7 rounds I would just use a shotgun that holds 7 in the tube. The main advantage to using a rifle for home defense is the ability have 30+ rounds on tap.

The hollow points from wolf and tula act almost just like any FMJ. They just keep going and travel 10" in gel before they are upset in the least.

you are much better off with wolf softpoint for home defense. It wont defeat barriers as well as hollow point but it should still would fine. For going through dry wall, TVs, about anything in a House will be concealment not cover.

IMO I would buy some of the Hornady steel match its loaded with a ballistic tip and will out preform all the Russian steel stuff. It may cost you but being as its defense ammo not blasting stuff you wont need a ton. Just enough to make sure it works.

And I have a question your in new york correct? Arent you afraid if you use a evil black gun to defend youself youll get a bad rap in court? And u once heard that hollow point ammo was illegal in new york? And one last point if you are in new your and you are limited to 7 rounds I would just use a shotgun that holds 7 in the tube. The main advantage to using a rifle for home defense is the ability have 30+ rounds on tap.

Yes in NY.

We are OK with HP and SP legally, in fact need it to shoot in most NY ranges.

Would never use unless absolute clear cut certain life-death situation; I am an attorney and quite familiar with ramifications oi use, but, the legal system is not gun user friendly no matter what the situation but, I will not die to not have legal trouble. Better alive and face a prick DA than dead and face worms.

Have a tricked out shotgun, (and pistol on the way), but prefer the 7.62 for more flexibility for home def, God forbid ever needed.

I think 8 rounds of buck shot would be very flexible. To me the only reason to use a rifle over a shotgun is capacity. Its that advantage is taken away then id rather have the shotgun. But to each his own. Id use ballistic tips from hornaday or soft points olny in your situation.

Is it FMJ thats banned in new york? Am I just crazy?

Did you read through this thread? http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/85802-terminal-performance-of-the-762x39/

I'm pretty sure I put both of those videos there. 

Yeah that was a good thread, learned a lot from it.

Basically its an easy call if you want a defense or hunting round in x39 not much better than the Hornady ballistic tip.