So what's everyone's thoughts on helmets for SHtF?

I prefer my boonie hats, but I'm 6'2" in boots and tend to bounce my head around a bit just walking around our house/barn/yard so am on the fence about a "bump cap" for SHtF. And then a friend kicked in with "If you're gonna wear a helmet, it might as well be ballistic, right?"

So what's your alls preferences?

Edited by BpS12

A couple of suggestions:

MacsDP%20Deluxe%20Vad01.jpgPower-Rangers.jpgJust kidding.

Seriously, A decent surplus US, German or Israeli ballistic helmet would be the way to go if you really needed proper ballistic protection.

SG has a nice German one for ~80

Edited by patriot
  • Like 1

I'm not eager to wear anything that makes me appear to be an aggressor. That includes camos, tac vests, or anything else that I don't absolutely need. I think that stuff is just as likely to get you shot dead in any circumstance where there are a lot of nervous people on edge. There will be some people who won't be in the mood to ask questions first.

• Like 1

I'm not eager to wear anything that makes me appear to be an aggressor. That includes camos, tac vests, or anything else that I don't absolutely need. I think that stuff is just as likely to get you shot dead in any circumstance where there are a lot of nervous people on edge. There will be some people who won't be in the mood to ask questions first.

Till you get into the situation you need them!

I almost found out the hard way!  My unit was setting up for night ops, and I left my "silly shit" (LBE/helmet/gas mask) in the ops tent cause it was a pain in the ass while carrying a load of aircraft landing marker lights.  Just got the last beanbag down, and I kicked something silver in the grass.  It was a HAND GRENADE!!!  I reached down and grabbed it, and the cardboard holding the spoon crumpled in my hand, and the pin also fell out!  So now I was stuck with a ARMED LIVE GRENADE!!!!  Hanging tightly to the grenade, I searched the grass and found the pin.  Some ID10T had straightened the pin so it would fall out easy.  I replaced the pin and bent it tight.  Once it was safe, I then took a look at it.  It was a civie bursting type CS grenade with a frag danger zone of 5 meters.  And I left my helmet and gas mask back in ops!!! 

MORAL: Keep your brain bucket and gas mask with you AT ALL TIMES!!! 

The grenade later came in useful during deer season at the base that year.  CS gas is a wonderful tool to drive all the deer out of the artillery impact area and back into huntable terrain!

Also good for flying shell fragments but I doubt that I will be confronted with either during my day to day activities, and if I am I will make sure to vacate the area asap...

Generally helmets are indeed a PITA. 

Edited by Odd Man Out

Till you get into the situation you need them!

I almost found out the hard way!  My unit was setting up for night ops, and I left my "silly shit" (LBE/helmet/gas mask) in the ops tent cause it was a pain in the ass while carrying a load of aircraft landing marker lights.  Just got the last beanbag down, and I kicked something silver in the grass.  It was a HAND GRENADE!!!  I reached down and grabbed it, and the cardboard holding the spoon crumpled in my hand, and the pin also fell out!  So now I was stuck with a ARMED LIVE GRENADE!!!!  Hanging tightly to the grenade, I searched the grass and found the pin.  Some ID10T had straightened the pin so it would fall out easy.  I replaced the pin and bent it tight.  Once it was safe, I then took a look at it.  It was a civie bursting type CS grenade with a frag danger zone of 5 meters.  And I left my helmet and gas mask back in ops!!! 

MORAL: Keep your brain bucket and gas mask with you AT ALL TIMES!!! 

The grenade later came in useful during deer season at the base that year.  CS gas is a wonderful tool to drive all the deer out of the artillery impact area and back into huntable terrain!

I promise I'll wear my helmet whenever there are any grenades in the area. rolleyes.gif

Seriously guys?....You're gonna run around with a fuckin K-pot on your grape? To each his own I guess but unless you're gonna shell out the big bucks good luck against anything above ~500FPS, like any centerfire rifle ever made. Or are we planning on incoming mortars?

Think you'd suffer the same amount of damage with one of these:

262010-Pegasus-Viking-Helmet-large.jpg

No helmets are all that effective at a civilian price point against rifle rounds of any kind. Type 2 or 3a are the best you'll find. I went with a type 2 Israeli due to price, and likelihood of never needing it.

Weigh your own paranoia and wallet out yourself.

Thanks for the input guys. I've come to the conclusion that I will likely get a ballistic helmet sooner or later. Not for "running about the woods" so much as part of a "last stand" kit at home base where defense may be more important than mobility. And/or as part of a vehicular kit where an extra few pounds wont hurt. I did read a bit in Popular Science about a helmet similar to the composite plates mentioned in the armor thread. Very light and rifle(308, etc) resistant.

I do agree that milspec gear is detrimental to "blending in". Unless everyone else is geared up too, lol. And may not be much use in a short term SHtF situation, but in the possibility of a long term situation with an extreme lack of RoL, it may prove invaluable. Esp in a defensive situation. Since the later is less likely, I'll do what I can on the less expensive side and upgrade after more immediate concerns are addressed.

Still considering a good "bump cap" though. I've done enough head knock'n shit to come to value at least minimal protection; construction, rock climbing/caving, riot control/SCA fighting, etc. Besides, it'd give me more territory to mount tacticool crap, lol.