Had my bolt & carrier worked - now my S20 looks wrong ...

so the "block" is like the block of a car engine ....... and not the thing that blocks the gas !   now I see cool.png

..and the piston slides inside the block I take it -  

is the puck the piston ?  .....     the young lady to the bottom here could be looking for the "shaft" !saiga12_5046.jpg

Edited by MIKE20GA

I got it then ......... the gas comes up thru those gas ports, passes by the gas regulator and drives the piston to provide the power to cycle the bolt/extractor for the next shell .

So I don't necessarily need   a good clean  puck ;  a nasty ,dirty puck after a long time will work just fine . Some might even prefer a filthy puck !

Strange as it may sound a dirty puck provides a batter seal, therefor less 'blowby', therefor more force applied to the intended target, the piston. Actually that part is commonly referred to a the gas piston in AK rifles but in the Shotguns they call it an op rod. The puck is also referred to as a piston since it works just like a piston.

• Like 1

Heck , I thought I would get more "blowby" from a filthy "puck"  ?

at any rate ......... soon we will be starting a new year and it is my hope its going to be a great one !030.gif

addendum :

One last question and if the answer is in line with my somewhat disjunctive thought processes , I will become confident that I finally have a grasp of the inner workings and functionality   of the S 20 :

I see some folks countersink the gas ports -   doesn't the ejection gas come "up" through the holes ?

Edited by MIKE20GA
  • 3 weeks later...