Picture Post ,Lets see your .223!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, I have every right to be an ass because I am a lawful gun owner and frequent this forum and don't want it to turn into some fucking weirdo illegal gun / militia bullshit cause of idiots like yo

First of all, instead of being an ass, you could be more specific. Second, i said i JUST got the gun, meaning I haven't bought or added the American parts I need. Third, chill out.

CCCP you've got no right to be an asshole to him. He just fucking got the gun. He put the 30 in for what? Five fucking minutes? Let's see the BATF worry about him putting in an unloaded 30 round magaz

Posted Images

It aint much yet, but I just received a feed ramp from DinzagArms.com (I was very impressed with shipping time and quality)

As soon as my Bulgarian Mags come in it'll be looking mean.

Cheap Osprey Red dot sight

UTG Cheap side rail mount

UTG quad rail, modified with clay epoxy.

K-Var pistol grip and butt-stock set.

G2 FCG

Tapco gas piston

Dinzag feed ramp

post-21780-12719621171733_thumb.jpg

post-21780-12719621277596_thumb.jpg

Hello all! Here's my baby.

I absolutely love this rifle! It's been a lot of fun modifying, and I still need a fore grip, sling, and a Hogue grip and I'll be done. (For now. Conversion will happen soon) :super:

RW,

Looking forward to seeing your full "conversion".

Nice work so far!

It aint much yet, but I just received a feed ramp from DinzagArms.com (I was very impressed with shipping time and quality)

As soon as my Bulgarian Mags come in it'll be looking mean.

Cheap Osprey Red dot sight

UTG Cheap side rail mount

UTG quad rail, modified with clay epoxy.

K-Var pistol grip and butt-stock set.

G2 FCG

Tapco gas piston

Dinzag feed ramp

ZAS,

Nice work!

I like the color scheme.

Cheers!

Hello all! Here's my baby.

I absolutely love this rifle! It's been a lot of fun modifying, and I still need a fore grip, sling, and a Hogue grip and I'll be done. (For now. Conversion will happen soon) :super:

RW,

Looking forward to seeing your full "conversion".

Nice work so far!

Thanks alaj70! It has been a lot of fun doing what I've done so far. Unfortunately I'm lacking the "shop skills" to do the FCG conversion by myself. I've been talking to my Dad the last couple of days and sending him pics, website links, etc and he sees no reason we can't do it. (He's the shop guy of the family) I'll be sure to post an update when we're done. I'm guessing we'll get started in a couple of weeks due to our schedule conflicts. :smoke:

Thanks alaj70! It has been a lot of fun doing what I've done so far. Unfortunately I'm lacking the "shop skills" to do the FCG conversion by myself. I've been talking to my Dad the last couple of days and sending him pics, website links, etc and he sees no reason we can't do it. (He's the shop guy of the family) I'll be sure to post an update when we're done. I'm guessing we'll get started in a couple of weeks due to our schedule conflicts. :smoke:

RW,

Don't fret too much over the conversion process. Actually, I find the Saiga .223 rifle the easiest Saiga rifle to convert, especially if you are going to use SureFire magazines. In short, you don't have to add a bullet guide or make a modification to the mag catch, as you do with the Saiga 7.62x39 (in order to use mil-surplus magazines). And, you don't have to modify the safety lever for it to actually "work", as you do on the Saiga 12 and the Saiga .308.

If you haven't seen this video, it's a great tutorial for you to get your head around the overall process:

Click here

The bolt-hold-open modification is NOT covered on the video link above. However, (IMHO) it's a feature of the Saiga rifles that is very nice to have, especially if you shoot at a range that requires you to demonstrate an open bolt/chamber between firing sessions. Aside from that I think BHO functionality is a value-added feature for shooting in general and for safety reasons as already mentioned. As such, I do it on all my "conversion" projects.

Actually, the bolt-hold-open (BHO) modification to a Tapco G2 hammer is fairly easy. You just need to remove the width of the BHO lever from the hammer's right side (i.e. the side the BHO is on the receiver) To do this, I use the original hammer (as a measurement guide) and a set of calipers (even cheap ones will work) to get the proper measurement. BTW, the biggest thing I go for is that the side of the hammer I remove material from is perpendicular to the hammer's axis pin. In other words, I don't want the hammer to rotate on a canted edge. It doesn't have to be "perfect", but I definitely make sure it's "straight" to my eye. Go slow and check the angle and measurement often!

BTW, a stationary grinder works very well for this procedure. If you have a stationary grinder, great! But, I actually use my Black & Decker bench grinder and put it in a vise (being careful to not crack the case). I make sure it's level in both directions before starting to grind the hammer. And, as I've mentioned, I go slow and measure often.

Once you do one hammer "mod" for the BHO, it's like riding a bike. And, you'll find that it's actually pretty straightforward. Remember, the calipers are your friend!! :up:

If you get stuck, feel free to touch base via a PM. Or, check around here...LOTS of good information!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my '06 vintage Saiga. Nothing out of the ordinary as far as reverting it close to the way it was intended. I'm going to get a Hogue pistol grip soon and I'm thinking of trying the Krebs aperture sight too. There's a Russian military sling on its way to me now and I think that will be a nice addition. I wanted to keep mine very basic right from the start and so far that's what I've done.

4593701356_01f501a6da_o.jpg

It has a Tapco G2 FCG, retaining plate, SAW grip, K-Var warsaw length buttstock and an angled trigger guard all bought from Dinzag. The SGM 30rd magazine is from Carolina Shooters Supply. Both retailers have been great to buy from. Thanks to both of you!

Edited by Angelo

DSC01217.jpg

DSC01220.jpg

It looks tacticool, and I'm more of a traditionalist, but it's ergonomically the best AK I've ever used.

~Krebs Custom Selector

~Mako side folder w/ adjustable cheek piece

~US made tritium sights

~Izzy PG

~Tac 47 TG

~Custom trigger job on a Tapco G2

~PK-AS

~couple more US parts for compliance I'm sure I forgot, little things like PG screws and junk.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my saiga .223 with 20" barrel. Surefire tri-rail modded to work with Bulgy gas tube w/ k-var upper. E. German MB on Bulgy GB. Dinzag modded G2 FCG. US made Israeli Galil Ultra style grip by Ronin. Kvar Warsaw stock. Grip-Pod (GPS-02). E. German 1000m RSL. Tromix Oversized Charging Handle.

4789568804_54fa33ab99_b.jpg

4788939351_95c8fe288c_b.jpg

4788939361_4f343a092e_b.jpg

4788939369_aeda7851f7_b.jpg

Edited by GregM1

Here is my Saiga 223 caliber rifle. I have had this weapon since February 2010 and put about 125 rounds down range with it so far. Overall I am impressed with the accuracy/simplistic design and satisfied with the quality and durable functionality of the rifle. I think the Saiga 223 is an exceptional firearm for the price and under estimated by many. I think this would be a very good "go to" rifle in the time of a natural or man made disaster/critcal incident. My particular weapon is primarily stock, I did add a Promag aluminum scope mount and attach a Bushnell Trophy red/green dot sight. The Promag scope mount is ackward as the sight is mounted very high above the dust cover, impossible to have a stable cheek weld when shooting from the optic. I am looking to transition to a extra low profile side mount or a Ultimak "scout mount" (gas tube replacement/picatinny rail). I'll open up a separate thread with some questions about setting up the Ultimak scout mount appropriately on the forum.

img5939.jpg

img5934u.jpg

Please feel free to leave any comments, observations, or questions below.

Here are some posts of my .223 as it is now. I had originally just done the Tapco combo stock. I felt the full conversion was needed when got out bumpfired by a 10/22 :-X Not to mention the horrid sloppy pull of the stock trigger in that configuration. It isn't AS noticeable in with the monte stock because it is designed for that angle.

Here is what I've done:

G2 single hook FCG

JTE main spring

MD Arms Molot style grip

Reusing my T6 stock (for now) with a screw in my preferred LOP to A) make it more solid and B) NYS legal

BHO dremmelled out of the safety since I didn't put the BHO lever in

Saiga and SGM 10 rounders (damn you NY!!!!!)

Tasco 2.5X scope on "sporter" mount. Just enough to make things a little clearer down range

Improvised sling from a guitar case. It is actually sturdier than most other web slings I've seen, and it is like 2" wide for extra comfort

IMG_1163.jpg

IMG_1162.jpg

Next few things up are:

Tech Sights AK "GI" style sights

AR adapter or Galil Orlite prebans

Scout mounting a scope (with quick release some how)

new hand guard (sgm, ultimak or galil type)

Possible AFG

Ace Skeleton stock (fixed with internal block. I actually prefer fixed stocks along with NY legal)

some kind of compensator (sadly it has to be welded or hot soldered so I have to make the right decision the first time)

HK front sight welded to gas block or Krebs sighted gas block

If you can't tell I am aiming for a Galil styled carbine with a few personal modifications. I may end up going with a Ultimak co-witness system in the long run instead of an actual magnified scope, or just go with irons overall. I am definitely making a Saiganov out of a 308 after this project is finished enough though. This is my first semiauto, and so far it has been a blast. Recommendations are also welcomed.

thatś my 223 :rolleyes:

Hey 4Mike,

We need a few more details on your setup here i.e. dust-cover rail, red dot or whatever you have on that upper handguard, over-travel screw, safety lever, etc. It really looks nice!