Picture Post ,Lets see your .223!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, I have every right to be an ass because I am a lawful gun owner and frequent this forum and don't want it to turn into some fucking weirdo illegal gun / militia bullshit cause of idiots like yo

First of all, instead of being an ass, you could be more specific. Second, i said i JUST got the gun, meaning I haven't bought or added the American parts I need. Third, chill out.

CCCP you've got no right to be an asshole to him. He just fucking got the gun. He put the 30 in for what? Five fucking minutes? Let's see the BATF worry about him putting in an unloaded 30 round magaz

Posted Images

understandable, i got the drop on some galil 30rds for 30$, not cheap but better than nothin. Good Ol' NY.

$30 isn't that bad as long as they are in good shape. I pay between $25-$30 for my Bulgarians, though they are new, still pretty much the same price.

I didn't even think of pre-ban Galil mags.

i didnt either. big_smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

My Saiga .223 is about where I want it...018.gif

The first pic is of when I got it.

The second and third pic is what it is now.034.gif

Krebs Peep Site

Aimpoint CompM2 Red Dot

Quick Change Scope Mount

SGM Mags

Arsenal FCG

Tapco Piston

AK Gas Tube

Tapco Stock

Hogue Pistol Grip

MAK Forearm

post-41144-0-13346000-1347821671_thumb.jpg

post-41144-0-31851500-1347821828_thumb.jpg

post-41144-0-11435300-1347822168_thumb.jpg

Totally 922® Compliant

Edited by PopsBdog
  • Like 3

Hopefully they work. Galil mags are hit or miss on the .223 due to various small design changes of the rifle over the years.

Agreed. I have tried a total 6 steel galil 35 rounders in two different rifle (round and flat trunnion) 223's...no dice in either. I have a BG installed also. They just sat too low, consistently stove-piping the breach face.

I'm going on a two week hunting trip in central Montana next month, so I wanted to get the .223 set up to stretch its legs out to 300+ yd. Hopefully it will be consistent enough to do some varminting, but if not I have a .243 set up for that. Wanted to give it a more classy and less threatening look for toting around while hunting... Never know when you will run into a fudd.

Bipod is attached with Harris #2R sling swivel adapter, which required an inlay cut to be made in the base of the wood LHG to keep the swivel stud plate from touching the barrel. I had a spare mismatched wood LHG sitting around, and I wanted to be able to swap the bipod between all of my hunting rifles, so this made sense.

Bipod is a Caldwell XLA pivoting 9"-13". This bipod had some mixed reviews, with some saying it's flimsy and others saying it was solid, but I decided to take a chance on it. Mine is solid is a rock, and the pivoting feature is very nice. The rifle has a similar range of motion to an RPK.

Scope is Cabela's Pine Ridge 3-12x40, with swappable drop compensation turret calibrated for .223 in weights of 50, 55, 62gr.

rThps.jpg

Ly065.jpg

ryjxI.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 6

^ it looks like your mag might be for 5.45. It's hard to tell because Promag doesn't mark them, but it looks like it has a bit more curvature than the 5.56 mag.

Its a 556 mag, if it isnt it loads and empties just fine. I ordered 3 of them a few years ago, one didnt work at all, the other 2 have functioned fine so far. I plan on either getting a renegade buck adapter, kinda waiting to see what the B.A.S.T.A.R.D is all about though.

Mancat, Damn you. I love your rifle, let us know how the hunt goes.

I shot it yesterday at the range. It grouped better than I expected, but not as good as I wanted, if that makes any sense. Average shot spread was 2"-3" at 100yd, and seemed to stay the same for 55gr, 62gr, and 69gr loads. The rifle really liked the 50gr American Eagle ballistic-tipped varmint, with which I shot a couple coin-sized consecutive shot groups, but the these were sometimes grouped apart by an inch or two.

This is the first time I've shot an AK with high magnification (12x), and by doing so I realized my trigger control isn't as good as it could be. I caught myself jerking the rifle to the side a few times right as I let the shot off. If I can control that, the groups should close up. The Tapco G2 trigger doesn't seem very conducive to this type of shooting; it's too smooth and breaks too lightly. I almost think an Arsenal two-stage would be the way to go for this type of shooting, even though I haven't really liked the Arsenal FCG when I've shot AKs that had one.

The bipod also seems to amplify everything, including breathing and heart beat. This is actually my first bipod setup at all, so I guess I need to learn how to deal with that. I will be probably be shooting the rifle prone or from a truck bed once I'm outdoors.

I also forgot to take off the AK-74 brake. I wonder how much if affects accuracy? I think I'm going to order a 24mm thread protector from CNC Warrior in case I find that the brake causes too much deviation.

100 yard target:

ingTs.png

Edited by mancat
  • 2 weeks later...

005-60.jpg

003-70.jpg

010-37.jpg

First pic : My 20" Saiga .223 with open folding stock

Second pic : closed folding stock

Third pic : Saiga with open folding stock and bipod , along with my PSL

Youve got plum! In one way or another!. Nice rifles man.

First pic : My 20" Saiga .223 with open folding stock

Second pic : closed folding stock

Third pic : Saiga with open folding stock and bipod , along with my PSL

Is that Primary Arms 1-4x on their AR mount on Saiga?

Looks good!

005.jpg

when I first got it, I wanted DE furniture. Since Saiga forearms only come in black, I got a black KVAR stock and painted it. I figured I could strip it in the future if I ever wanted to change it. It's so dinged up and imperfect now, I doesn't really matter to me. If I ever get the extra receiver holes welded up, I'll probably refinish the whole thing and go with all black.

AR-15 mag addapter, Galil charging handle, HK sights, threaded the barrel and put a birdcage on it, and filled in where the rear sight used to be. Have owned this gun for going on ten years now. Got it before saigas were even that popular. Eventually going to buy another one and do a full tear down and rebuild. I have used this gun as a sort of "trial run" to see what I can do. I cant wait to go nuts on a new gun.

Edited by bokwus83

AR-15 mag addapter, Galil charging handle, HK sights, threaded the barrel and put a birdcage on it, and filled in where the rear sight used to be. Have owned this gun for going on ten years now. Got it before saigas were even that popular. Eventually going to buy another one and do a full tear down and rebuild. I have used this gun as a sort of "trial run" to see what I can do. I cant wait to go nuts on a new gun.

Pictures, please?

(I'd like to see your HK sights setup: love 'em!).

Lurked around here for a while...thought I would share my S223, I had to put the CZ52 in for good measure.

imag0532w.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I LOVE the SGM handguard on the S223! Looks great!

I like it too, the one drawback is the top cover rail doesnt sight quite in line (at least not on mine) with the front sight... kind of a pain in the ass for aquisition. I took a dremel to the area between the rails and made a nice u shaped valley down it.

Lurked around here for a while...thought I would share my S223, I had to put the CZ52 in for good measure.

imag0532w.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I LOVE the SGM handguard on the S223! Looks great!

I like it too, the one drawback is the top cover rail doesnt sight quite in line (at least not on mine) with the front sight... kind of a pain in the ass for aquisition. I took a dremel to the area between the rails and made a nice u shaped valley down it.

I'd just go with the lower only. The upper isn't a great platform for optics anyway, so the lower is where the function's at. The lower looks fantastic though! IMHO, that's the BEST lower hg for Saiga's (and WAY more secure than "real" AK handguards. I WISH I could easily mount one of those on my M10!). Boggles my mind why so many are so obsessed with a "total" conversion when solutions like yours are so much more secure/effective.

Sorry, I'm not too savy with editing pictures, and before I couldnt get them down to the size I needed. SO here are a couple pics of my modded .223.... AND yes, that is a 9/32 extension allen wrench socket that I used for the charging handle. It was WAY cheaper and easier than getting one online. I could have made one at work if I wanted to take the time to do so, but I figured why would I do that, when that is so close to the real thing, and functions just as good.

post-17906-0-52377200-1350754410.jpg

post-17906-0-84691800-1350755022.jpg

post-17906-0-86159500-1350755185.jpg

Edited by bokwus83
  • Like 1