My local wally world has 20% off hunting rifles tomorrow starting at 8am.  There is a Savage 308 for $287 that could be had for $225 or so.  My only problem is that guys seem to find the bull barrel mighty important.  

So...  I'm looking for something to play with long(er) shots with and am wondering if I should pick it up or save for one with bull barrel?

BTW...  I figured you guys might want to check your WM's in case they have something you've been wanting at 20% off.

I wouldn't worry too much about bull barrel unless you'll be shooting a lot each range trip. You'll heat the thinner tube up faster but the thing about a thin barrel they heat up quick but also cool down quick. At that price if its something you want it hard not to pick it up if you got the cash.

• Like 1

My local wally world has 20% off hunting rifles tomorrow starting at 8am.  There is a Savage 308 for $287 that could be had for $225 or so.  My only problem is that guys seem to find the bull barrel mighty important.  

So...  I'm looking for something to play with long(er) shots with and am wondering if I should pick it up or save for one with bull barrel?

BTW...  I figured you guys might want to check your WM's in case they have something you've been wanting at 20% o

I think of bull barrel as being for sitting at a bench. Although a heavy barrel would make for more of a mobile precicion rig.

I wouldn't go to Wallyworld tomorrow if you gave me a rifle...LOL Good Luck! Let us know how it goes.

The thanksgiving sale started at 6 oclock tonight at my local WM.  We passed after I got off work at 7:00, and I had to see the crowd.  I have to say, it was a disgusting display of holiday consumerism.  Lines were circling around the store with every register open.  Even the check out at sporting goods was at least 100yds long.  Fuck that.

Saving 50 bucks will never amount to dealing with that bullshit.

• Like 1

yep. its pretty sad what its coming to. People skipping time with family to save 30 dollars on doll houses and TVs. Standing in lines for hours on end.......ah fuck it. They are all fucking morons.

What happened to our country? America is the laughing stock of the world......look on the internet.

steps down off my soap box.

Edited by Chevyman097

I wouldn't worry about the bull barrel Big John. Any Savage .308 at that price is a good deal. If you like it get it. I like bull barrels, both of my .308s have them. Both are tack drivers. But they also come at the cost of being relegated to bench rest shooters due to excessive weight. Any advantage that bull barrels give, is far outweighed by practice and repetition. At that price, there is a lot of of practice and repetition in the savings that could be applied to ammunition.

Thanks for the info guys.  I think I'mma get two.  One for me and one for my boy.  

I'm one of the assholes that is eating Thanksgiving dinner today so that myself and my mommy (visiting me from ca) could go score what we wanted.  We got there about an hour before they handed out wristbands for what we wanted and it was really mellow.  Hardly anyone there.  Then it got close to the sale time and the store filled up with a pack of animals and the temp in that fucking building went up by about 10+ degrees.  Time came for us to claim our prizes and I was able to walk right through the place using the few empty aisles and pay for my shit.  We then went to the car, drove to the garden center where they loaded my tv for me and I hauled ass.  We got really lucky.  While the people seemed to be playing nice, there were too many there for my taste.

So for my work I ended up with a 60" smart tv for $688.  My mommy is retired and on a very tight budget so she was thrilled to get a laptop that she has been wanting for $178.

While I'm TOTALLY with you guys on the commercialization of x-mas.  I guess that I feel like I beat the system in some weird way and was really happy to get a smokin deal on what I wanted and even happier to seem moms happy with what she got.

Plus moving thankgiving to today means my oldest boy will be home and some good friends that had other plans yesterday are coming to visit today.  This years black friday was a win win for me.