While stocking up on gun cleaning supplies, I thought about the possiblity of laundering my patches.  I run with Southern Bloomer patches, and I think they may hold up to a wash or two, due to their cotton knit.  That might come in useful in a survival situation where you're short of everything except enemy.

I think I'm going to start saving them and try a load to see what happens.  Has anyone tried this???

Are patches not cheap enough to just buy some?  

In a survival situation, I'll just hold a smokin hot chick at gun point, make her give me her panties, and tear them into patches.  Then I'll make that bitch clean my guns.

TOPLESS

• Like 2

From your avatar, looks like you already have! haha.gif

Seriously though, anyone think about it?  From one WW II vet, they used to always grab enemy cleaning supplies whenever they could, as Allied supplies were very lacking in that reguard.  It was hard enough to get beans and bullets to the front.  Laundrable patches would be worth gold!

My mom does Quilting. I'm never hurting  for rags. Funny thing... I spent about two hours last night cutting patches. Good, cotton, lint free patches. I've got enough for a year or so now, and plenty of rags left over.

Here is our 20th Anniversary gift from her. There are over 1000 little patches in there...

IMG_1441_zps6b4d25cd.jpg

Edited by Yeoldetool
  • Like 2

If you are using modern powders, get a bore snake and be done with it.  Most people put more wear and abuse on their barrels from cleaning them.  Especially stainless, all it needs is the occasional bore snake run through it, period!

Jack

• Like 1

shit, it isn't like gun patches are expensive  or  there is a shortage of them, that they sky rocket in price from people panic buying those.  why go through that nut roll of washing them?

if your intent is to save money by reusing them, then you didn't  have discretionary money  to buy a firearm or ammunition in the first place

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 1

Yea im thinking if you use enough patches to have a load you are either shooting thousands of dollars worth of ammo a month or cleaning your gun too much. Or maybe you are shooting an ar15. I used to clean my guns every time I shot them. Them I realized the reason I went to the ak is because I didnt want to baby my gun.

• Like 1

Likely the cost of cleaning would exceed any money saved in reuse.

Yeah bore snakes have put a major dent in how many of those patches that get used.

Now only use them if the weapon is being stored for a while and special attention must be paid.

?????? Are the Zombies in your SHTF naked?????

I use whatever for patches, Even the paper 'patches' that Wolf ammo comes packed in.

NEVER use the washer or dryer to clean patcher - it will desrtoy the pump in the washer, or set fire to the dryers

A patch can be made from virtually any cotton garment.  I even have some cut from old blue jeans.  In fact, I made a SHTF boresnake from the seam out of a pair of jeans.  It doesn't have the brush bristles, but does the job nicely, and can wash it in the sink when done.

My kit in my BOB is an old G3 pull through kit, and all it had in it for patches was cut up 1/8" cotton twine.  Two of those on the end made short work cleaning my Saiga bore.

Edited by Lone Eagle