Rust prevention underneath the receiver...

...I did my first Saiga conversion recently (7.62x39) and due to some impatience and overzealousness, I didn't paint the bottom of the receiver after moving the trigger guard and installing the PG.

I really don't mind the look of not having it painted, it doesn't bother me, but my question is this:

Will leaving the metal "bare" increase the risk of rust?

I ask because it seems that the metal is parkerized and not exactly bare... just not black. I'm wondering if painting is simply something that people do for aesthetics or if it also adds to rust prevention, thanks.

You're better off painting all parts that don't need to be bare metal and oiling all the places that you can't clean easily or that didn't get painted (between the FSB and barrel, etc).

I like to give mine a good oil bath after cleaning, let soak, then wipe off the excess oil.

They'll rust eventually but, why would you encourage it?

I used to work in aerospace and every surface of every metal part on a plane is primed and painted with corrosion-resistant epoxy paint. Even electrical contacts are covered with epoxy.

Edited by Sim_Player

The beauty of the AK Receiver is the distributed stress. Surface corrosion will be slow in low humidity environments.

You could probably sand the whole gun down to bare metal and let it rust for the next 10-50 years before it malfunctioned.

Just paint the damn gun to maintain it's value.

A little micro-rust under the paint is no a big deal. Rust needs oxygen and water (in general).

Edited by Sim_Player

Is it going to hurt anything? Not likely.  Does is mean I will not coat it while doing the conversion? No. I consider it neglect, and a tad lazy when there is engine enamel for a few bucks a can that would blend in nicely if your not wanting to redo the whole rifle, but thats just me.

I was trying to avoid the term "lazy".....

Can I wear my shoes if I don't tie the laces?

Yes.

Don't mind our "harsh" responses, brother.

We just care, sometimes too much.

Glad you posted.

Edited by Sim_Player

Get a can of Duplicolor DE1634, just hit the unfinished area with a brass brush, blow it off, and spray the general area underneath the receiver until it matches the rest of the receiver. You're done in ten minutes. Why even bother worrying - just finish the job.

To be honest here the main reason I have not painted mine is laziness, and due to completely forgetting about it until I saw this thread. Am I gonna paint it some day soon, probably not. My advice, just paint it when you do the conversion.

• 3 months later...