There is a lot of .223 and 7.62 x 39 ammo available at Sportsman Guide right now if you are in need.  Prices aren't too bad for current market.  Some on sale too.  Check it out if you need to stock up.

Compare sportsman's guide to other places + shipping.

Ok, apples to apples;

1,000 rounds Tulammo® 7.62x39 122 Grain FMJ

Sportsmansguide $283.09 (Buyer's Club - Regular Price $297.99) Out of stock

SGammo.com $241.50 Shipped - In Stock

1,000 rounds TulAmmo™ 7.62x39mm 124 - grain FMJ

Sportsmasguide $287.75 (Buyer's Club - Regular Price $302.89)

SGammo.com $241.50 Shipped

I could go on but the results would be similar.

Also, if you see it on SGammo it's there to be had, no "Sorry it's on back order" emails after you've paid.  They ship the next business day.

I quit wasting time shopping around long ago, SG consistently has the best prices.

I was in Dunham's in Grand Rapids, MI yesterday to buy some green gas for my son's gaas operated airsoft rifles and noted they had a lot of .223 and 7.62 x 39 ammo.  They had many brands and varieties of the .223 and Wolf and Classic Military in the 7.62 plus some PMC.  It appears the drought is over for those calibers although prices are not likely to fall back to what they once were.  At least it can be had for storage and shooting alike.

And thanks for the tip on SGammo.com.

You should always take deals where you find them I guess but I use SG as the yardstick by which I measure any other "deal", "sale" or "special" that comes along.  It also depends on what you are looking for though.  For instance SG hasn't had any decent (stuff that will cycle in semi auto pistols and rifles) 22LR for a long time.  Before last December they regularly had Mini-Mags etc.

But for x39, 54r and shotgun shells they're the only place I look.  Also they don't gouge on shipping.  From me they're halfway across the country (1,200 miles) and they only charge $22 to ship a wooden crate of 54r.  Classic Firearms which is one state away (225 miles) charges $34.20 to ship the same 880 rounds and $175 purchase price vs $160 at SG.  SG is out of 54r 880 round crates right now but they have a "notify" function and it works but they have 20 round boxes.

And it doesn't hurt that Sam Gabbert (the "SG" in SGammo I assume) is a Saiga-12 shooter.

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 1

I found SGammo about 5 or 6 years ago on GBroker.  Picked up a few cases of Golden Tiger for 169/179.  To the door for under .20 a round.  They have always been great to deal with and very competitive on prices.

I go with SG 9/10 times for rifle and handgun ammo, but I do get a lot of 12ga from Sportsman's Guide since their prices on that tend to be comparable and they have a much broader selection. The no minimum free shipping is really nice if I only want to get a box or two of something too.

SG does currently have a sweet deal on Melior 00-buck though. $85/200rd shipped. 

• Like 1
SG does currently have a sweet deal on Melior 00-buck though. $85/200rd shipped. 

Been watching that deal last couple days.  Quantity is in the single digit now so I went ahead and ordered 200rds of Melior 00 buck, and 250rds of the Sellier Bellot 00 buck for a total of .43 a round to the door.