Saiga SBS questions

MI is finally joining the ranks and hopefully allowing SBR/SBS's soon (maybe they have already, kind of been out of the loop lately).

I've always been interested in a Saiga based SBS but haven't ever taken the time to learn more about them, now that it's a possible option I'd really like to hear from other end users!

My use for this would be 0-50 with maybe occasionally taking it out to a 100 for grins. Loads will most likely be buckshot and slugs, I don't have any real desire to put a lot of birdshot through it. That said I'd still like it to be reliable.

What's the best barrel length in your opinion? Why?

Stock options? (I prefer simple and minimal, but it must fold)

Must have upgrades?

THANKS!

Stock options are the same as any other Saiga. 12" is generally said to be the shortest you can go without shortening the gas system - at 12" you can open up the ports to tune the gas system to run reliably. Anything shorter and the gas system need to be shortened, which is not easy for the average Joe. A shotgun with a 10-12" barrel doesn't have much if any ballistic disadvantage (with most loads) versus a 19" barrel - and for some loads may even be advantageous. Look up some velocity curves based on barrel length for a few of your favorite loads (sorry, not sure where to find them - but I've seen a few posted before). I have an S-12 with an 8" barrel. Fun, but definitely lose a bit of velocity due to length.

For simple and minimal, in my opinion an Ace folder can't be beat. Simple and robust. An AK-100 folder is far superior, but expensive, extremely difficult to install, and far from simple. If you're going to do it on a Form 1 and intend to do the work yourself - go with a 12" gun. If you have a big budget and want to have a professional do the work for you - 8-10".

• 2 weeks later...

A good folding stock is the Polish Beryl stock. It bolts right on to the standard AK/Saiga rear trunnion. I prefer the Warsaw Pact factory look for my Kalashnikovs so went with that. It was close to $200 on Gunbroker for a used mil take off in good shape but they are cheaper at robertrtg.com when he has them in stock. Bonesteel Arms makes a new similar looking stock with a few options.

I've tried AK 100 series folders and thought they were decent, but not in a whole other league from ace type systems. IMO, the AK100 series stock has a rather small footprint for 12 gauge anyway, and most people don't manage to get the fairly uncommon shotgun pad for the back. (My 1- off ak74 based folder has a similarly sized pad, and I kept it as big as I could without ruining the lines. Bigger would be better.) 

For that matter, the RPK folder style hinge on the V12 stocks is a much cleaner robust design. I'd rather have that than an AK100.

Then they pay $400 or so for the stock, and end up putting on a scabbed on grenade pad, which is mediocre, looks awful, and might interfere with the folding feature. I just don't see the appeal over more comfortable stocks. 

I think most people would be just as well served with a newer Ace type hinge block plus a DPH stock and a good kickeez or limbsaver pad, or one of bonesteel's products. It would be equally strong, possibly faster to deploy and more comfortable to shoot. Aesthetics value is pretty subjective, so you like what you like.

I don't own an SBS, but if I could, I'd go for the short gas and 8", with threads and a monster or molot comp on there most of the time. Personal taste and whatnot.

1. MI is finally joining the ranks and hopefully allowing SBR/SBS's soon (maybe they have already, kind of been out of the loop lately).

I've always been interested in a Saiga based SBS but haven't ever taken the time to learn more about them, now that it's a possible option I'd really like to hear from other end users!

2. My use for this would be 0-50 with maybe occasionally taking it out to a 100 for grins. Loads will most likely be buckshot and slugs, I don't have any real desire to put a lot of birdshot through it. That said I'd still like it to be reliable.

3. What's the best barrel length in your opinion? Why?

Stock options? (I prefer simple and minimal, but it must fold)

Must have upgrades?

THANKS!

1. Congrats on joining the ranks of the FREE STATES!! WELL DONE!

2. I wouldnt knock birdshot as this SBS, IMHO, should not be used for home defense or anything of the sort.  For "plinking" birdshot is fun and inexpensive.  Buck & slugs have their place but thats your choice. PLus they make for a HELL OF A MUZZLE BLAST.

3. Barrel length seems like it might be important to you because of the 25-50 yards I'm assuming? Or did you mean feet?  If your going 0-50 yards I would probably go for a 10-14" SBS.  If you meant 0-50 feet then I would go with a 8" SBS.  I have a Tromix S17, 8" and LOVE IT!!! Not only does it get EVERYONES attention but it cycles completely fine with the lightest bird loads to the 3" magnum buck & slugs.  AGAIN!!! WARNING!!! If you like your hand hair I would wear gloves while firing anything above birdshot.

Your opinions may vary from mine but I speak as a 8" SBS owner.

Respectfully,

Gunny NR

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the replies/suggestions! Looks like the governor signed the bill so we are GTG!

GySgt- I'd like to be able to take it 50 yards and push it further with slugs if possible. Sounds like 10" to 14" is the best option, I need to read more on barrel lengths advantage/disadvantage.

I'd like to be able to take it 50 yards and push it further with slugs if possible. Sounds like 10" to 14" is the best option,

I cut mine down to13 inches, I didn't have to mess with moving the  gas block back, or fiddle fart with gas ports.  at 50 yards I can put slug where I want them to go, for shooting clays, I shoot hi-brass target loads, cycles just fine.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins