http://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-laar-lightweight-combat-aircraft-is-coming-to-the-air-force/

changing to prop planes? Cost much less would be able to reach target loft for hours and return on the same amount of gas it takes a hog to take off.

The prop planes run cooler than jets and aren't targetable by MANPADS.  The guy who flew the plane into the White House wasn't engaged by Stingers as they couldn't lock on to the engine as it was too cold.

I've thought that a revival of the B-24 is in order for ground attack use.  New all composite airframe, new radial engines, 20mm Vulcans in nose and tail, 32 Hellfires in the 2 bomb bays, and 2 HARM missiles on wing hardpoints.  Get those 4 engines in proper sync and they can be within striking distance before you could hear them.  If you get to EAA and watch em fly, you'd know what I mean about this plane.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My buddy krisfox bought a retired (for whatever reason...) barrel from one while he was still in Iraq in '09. You should have seen the look on the UPS man's face the day I watched him struggle to carr

Calm down guys, I'm making warthogs.........lol

It's possible.. The production numbers on the A-10 and B-52 are about the same, and the B-52 is still not going anywhere despite multiple attempts to replace it.   I was obsessed with the B-52 for a

Posted Images

OMG, the things you could do with a modern B-24!  :drool:

How about Hellfires on the wing hard-points, and 2 MOAB's in the bomb bays, plus .30 cal. mini-guns where all the .50's used to be? super_man.gif

Edited by Ronin38

The Hawg isn't going anywhere. It is still being used as a test platform here for weapons testing. The Test Wing here has 16s and 15s as well. If it were going away, they wouldn't still be testing new munitions on it. We had them in Afghanistan for a quick response to rockets and mortars. Everytime we had incoming, A-10s were scrambled to the exact grid coordinate they originated from. Technology was a bitch to those fucktards who fired the rounds.

• Like 3

How about Hellfires on the wing hard-points, and 2 MOAB's in the bomb bays, plus .30 cal. mini-guns where all the .50's used to be? super_man.gif

Nah!  Never carry them.  But with dual tracking lasers/sights where the nose 50's were, she could damn near ripple fire 16 of the 32 Hellfires in one pass.  Maybe do the miniguns on the lower ball turret and side windows for the soft targets the Vulcans aren't needed for.  It'd be a hell of a day for the for the folks below that thing!

Yup!  Sure looks like it sucks down there!

• Like 1

How many other countries build/maintain the C-130? Even if WE "end" the program, there's only about a bazillion of them in-service globally. I don't think they'll vanish during my lifetime.  biggrin.png

I was just watching one doing maneuvers overhead yesterday, in fact.

Dude; they've been absolutely essential in saving my countrymen's lives (Typhoon-Hit Philippines)...it would be INSANE to phase them out...

• Like 1

I hope things are improving on the islands for you guys, however slowly. It was nice to see on our news that the V-22 Osprey is finally doing well for relief efforts too.

I have some friends that are/were living in the Philippines, so I do try to stay up with the news over there.

The museum at Wright-Patt AFB just had an Osprey fly in a couple days ago, it should be ready for display in about a month.  :)

Probably the only one they're going to get.

That was pretty much what was done with the old B/A-26 in Vietnam. Lots of bombs, rockets, and a shitload of .50s in the nose. It even was equipped with early FLIR setups.

4658309846_21b173573f_b.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 2

That was pretty much what was done with the old B/A-26 in Vietnam. Lots of bombs, rockets, and a shitload of .50s in the nose. It even was equipped with early FLIR setups.

I loved the sound of that plane the woop ass humm

4658309846_21b173573f_b.jpg

http://investor.northropgrumman.com/mobile.view?c=112386&v=203&d=1&id=1878270

The A-10, like the B-52, isn't going anywhere for a long time (with much rejoicing from the ground troops, no doubt).  It's the best at what it does, and does so for pennies on the dollar, it can't be beat.  When you need serious hurt brought in up close and with maximum precision (A-10 pilots are famous for their excellent low-level flying and gunnery skills), and the ability to do so while getting back alive with your plane, there's nothing else like it.  Fast is meaningless, it's a close support ground attack and interdiction plane with superb loiter time, not a fighter jet, or an SR-71.

• Like 2

One of the most terrifying aspects of this plane is its ability to glide in on a target without its twin engines being engaged. An earlier post mentione the psychological impact made just by the A-10's presence. Imagine the psychological trauma instilled when one of these ugly ducks pops over a hillside on one of these silent gun runs. That is, if you even survived at all.

I never believed it could do that until I saw it with my own eyes at an air show in Milwaukee, back in 2005. It was spellbinding.

Edited by Photoguy
  • 9 months later...

And back from the dead, it's the A-10.  Again.

Breitbart is a pain in the ass due to many popups, so I'll post the text here.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Peace/2014/09/23/Pentagon-To-Deploy-A-10-Fighter-Jets-Into-Battle-Against-Islamic-State?utm_source=e_breitbart_com&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Breitbart+News+Roundup%2C+September+23%2C+2014&utm_campaign=20140923_m122276474_Breitbart+News+Roundup%2C+September+23%2C+2014&utm_term=warthog-reuters_jpg_3Fw_3D145

The Pentagon is set to soon deploy the 122nd Fighter Wing of the Indiana Air National Guard, nicknamed the Blacksnakes, over to the Middle East in support of the US-led mission against the Islamic State, according to the Huntington County TAB. The deployment reportedly consists of 300 personel along with twelve A-10 Warthog Fighter Jets.

Nothing specific about the Air Guard’s deployment was made public until the Indiana branch recently announced it had been called into service.

Once officially activated, the 122nd will take orders from the USAF Combat Command.

Col. Patrick R. Renwick, the commander of the 122nd Fighter Wing, said in a statement: “I don’t know of a time in Blacksnake history we have taken this kind of aviation footprint forward. The A-10 Warthog is uniquely suited for the Combatant Commander’s needs, and the Blacksnakes are the right team to bring that capability to combat… The Airmen of the 122nd Fighter Wing are trained and ready to answer our nation’s call to duty. The Air National Guard and the Blacksnakes are a proven choice in combat, I have no doubt we can accomplish the mission assigned.

The report stated that the Airmen have been preparing for some time for the possibility that they would be deployed to the Middle East. They are said to have undergone training ranging from cultural programs to weapons mastery to emergency medical assistance training.

Col. Craig E. Ash, the 122nd’s Wing Maintenance Group Commander, said: “I’m excited for our maintainers. We have the best training equipment and aircraft in the world; we’ve been preparing and training for this deployment for the past few months; and I am fully confident in our ability to deploy one of the country’s most lethal fighting forces to support and defend U.S. efforts abroad.

The A-10 Thunderbolt II, which is more commonly known as “Warthog” or “Hog," is a Fighter Jet that specializes in close air support for ground units. It sports a massive rotary cannon designed to successfully attack tanks and other ground targets.

Edited by Darth Saigus

The do-everything wonder-plane, the "Amazing" F-35, has turned into the worst boondoggle in history.

It's waaaaaay over budget and it doesn't do any of the things it was claimed to do very well, if at all.

It's just a steaming pile of gold-plated shit.

The warthog is deadly but dated. Old planes are expen$ive to keep flying. I expect to see a replacement in 4 or 5 years. Our troops should have one NOW, but I would venture to guess that when the Senate changes hands one will be funded.

And Cameron, those ARE wartyhog ugly! But functional as hell if you need them.

Not so fuken fast.........

After making its absurd case for retiring the most capable counter-insurgency and close air support platform in existence, the USAF is deploying the Warthog back to Iraq. The Indiana Air National Guard's 122nd FS will be taking the 'Hog on an unprecedentedly large and long deployment to CENTCOM's area of operations this October where it will likely take on ISIS like only the 'Hog can.

You just can't make this shit up boys and girls nonono.gif 

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-usafs-much-maligned-a-10-warthogs-are-deploying-to-1640395280

• Like 2