• 1 month later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My buddy krisfox bought a retired (for whatever reason...) barrel from one while he was still in Iraq in '09. You should have seen the look on the UPS man's face the day I watched him struggle to carr

Calm down guys, I'm making warthogs.........lol

It's possible.. The production numbers on the A-10 and B-52 are about the same, and the B-52 is still not going anywhere despite multiple attempts to replace it.   I was obsessed with the B-52 for a

Posted Images

The Wonderful Magical Mystical Eff Fuckin Thirty Five (blessed be it's name!) has turned out to be a flying turd that costs 5x more than it should and doesn't do any of the things we were promised nearly as well as the planes it replaces.

We have flushed trillions down that toilet and it's only going to get worse. 

If we scrap the F16 and the F18  and the F15 and the A10 and all we have left is the F35 we'll be in deep shit. 

Whatever it costs to keep those reliable platforms flying is nothing compared to the cost of converting everything to the useless F35.

• Like 2

Darth, I agree with your observations. Small consolation, but with as much time as it spends on the ground at least the pilots don't have to worry about getting shot down. The A-10 has been one of my favorites next to the untimely departed Tomcat. It's old, slow and husky, kind of like me without the weaponry. Still hoping they'll develop an update program to keep it flying like the BUFF.

Why the camel fuckers fear the Warthog more than any other plane.  And why a Warthog driver will never buy a drink in a bar with soldiers or Marines.

For those that don't know the first ripping sound is the rounds hitting the target, the second ripping sound is the sound of the gun firing.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

More great news about the wonderful F35. Now $170,000,000,000 over budget, and still doesn't fly. Total cost now expected to top $1,500,000,000,000 over 10 years.

And did I mention, it still doesn't fly.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/build-400-billion-f-35-103000651.html

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/2014/07/31/How-DOD-s-15-Trillion-F-35-Broke-Air-Force

• Like 1

HOW in the wide, wide world of sports does ANY project get umpteen-freakin-TRILLION *OVER* the allotted budget?!?!  That's just beyond any comprehension.  :wacko:

Pull the plug on the project, the LACK of results and every single, solitary person even remotely involved with this dismally-colossal failure.

Aww, sad to see it go. It's sexy in an ugly, dangerous and unique sort of way. Plus the fantastic weaponry. RIP. We need more aircraft like this that you see and immediately go "that's an American plane". We have a penchant for making strange and ugly but functional aircraft (Apache, AWACS, P38 Lightning, V22 Osprey, B2 spirit, etc.).

The F-ed up 35 is ugly without the charm and the cost is insanity squared times itself.

• Like 1

Read some article the other day (will try to find online link) that the Textron Scorpion is getting some interest as a potential A10 replacement if the F35 gets killed.

Interesting plane.. Designed for CAS unlike the A10, which was really a tank killer pushed into the CAS role.

Figures show the A10 costs 5x more per hour to operate than this guy.. I was amazed the hourly cost is around $15k on the A10

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Textron_AirLand_Scorpion

Edited by mancat

While it's a nice, light, cheap plane, I don't see the Scorpion as survivable in a CAS environment as the A10, or having NEAR the armament. ex: the "instant LZ" the A10 is capable of.

• Like 1

The article I read on the Scorpion states that it would rely more on guided-rocket pods and A-G missles, plus would have gun-pods available if needed. 6 hard points on the wings plus some inboard spots. Top speed around 550 kts, but also a long "loiter" time. I think it has potential in the role, but only some real-world testing would show if it can actually do the job. I doubt the military would do something so sensible as to approve a dozen of them and put them in action, and see what it can really do.

Lasers are only an improvement on fast targets, missiles, aircraft, and the like.

For most things and really all of potential targets in a CS role, kinetic is just fine and really superior to beam weapons theoretical though they may be in that application.

...can you imagine a 500 lb iron egg traveling at 0.9C hitting a planet? ( This is doable with current tech, but it'd be EXPENSIVE. Bankrupt a nation expensive.)

eta: an ion drive could get the egg up to speed and aim it. Or, slingshot around a large orbital body to steal some momentum. Or a combo of both. 

...or a rail gun in a vacuum (space)

That's   6.0888e+18 ft/lbs of energy or 1.9731e+3 MEGAtons TNT in just ONE egg. Planet buster.

Just like a really cheap NUKE from orbit.

Thanks to R.A.H. for the idea.

/Hjack off

OMG! Ban calculators! We can destroy PLANETS with them!

Edited by patriot