Thats a great pic man! Out of em all i could definitely see me runnin w the m1 carbine, tho theres a lot of love for the garand.

I have the M1 Carbine, it is a lot of fun to shoot.

Lot of bang!, bang!, bang! and no recoil worth mentioning.

And those were just some of the primaries! No SMGs, not a lot of variants. I was looking for the Johnson and it wasn't there. Neither was that Russian Semiauto 7.62x 54R.

You meaning the SVT-40?

There are guns longer than an M91?

LOL...  I thought the same thing...  Stick the bayonet on it.

And those were just some of the primaries! No SMGs, not a lot of variants. I was looking for the Johnson and it wasn't there. Neither was that Russian Semiauto 7.62x 54R.

You meaning the SVT-40?

SVT 40 Nailed it. I was blanking on that one. I got pretty excited when I first found out about them thinking they would make a nice rifle. Then I discovered that not many were imported and they aren't cheap. Sad.

There's another one that I can't think of the name of. Northern European country, I think the gun was made by FN, basically a similar gun to the Hakim, but some of them were made in 30-06. That would be a fun gun to own.

We all get told  this narrative that the rest of the world used bolt guns and we dominated because we had the only semi- out there, the Garand, but a little bit of looking around shows that a lot of the countries had semi guns at the begining and then ditched them for logistical reasons, reliability, or manufacturing complexity.  Apparently some of our guys even got stuck with M1903 Spring fields, but you never see that in any of the old movies or B&W TV. It would be interesting to see what some of those other Semi Autos would have grown into if they had been developed.

I'm not a huge bolt gun guy, but a few on that list are on my wishlist. I'd like some SMLE variant, a Krag-Jorg, and everyone makes the M9130 sound pretty nice. Obviously the US guns on that list would be nice to have too. About the time I learn about appealing C&R guns, everone else has already known about them for years and the killer deals are gone. 

• Like 1

You meaning the SVT-40?

SVT 40 Nailed it. I was blanking on that one. I got pretty excited when I first found out about them thinking they would make a nice rifle. Then I discovered that not many were imported and they aren't cheap. Sad.

I love my MilSurps.

With the Russian SKS I picked up awhile back, I now have four generations of Russian rifles.

The 91/30 in my hands, SVT on the table, SKS and AK47...  Now I need a 74.

100_7115.jpg

Any of you guys own an Arisaka?

I do not, but wouldn't mind having a Arisaka model 99, if I could find a collectors grade with an intact chrysanthemum...  For the right price.

Edited by ChileRelleno

I think "Salt" has an Arisaka. It's his dad's, that his grandfather took back after someone tried to use it on him. You might hit Salt up for pics, but he will take a few weeks to answer them.

My dad's got a long barreled Arisaka. 7mm iirc. Was my Grandfathers. He has taken several deer with it.

I used to have a carbine model. 6.5mm. Nice to shoot but Norma had the only ammo I could find.

I also had a M1 for awhile. Accurate as hel out to 100yrds. Silver dollar sized groups.

You meaning the SVT-40?

There's another one that I can't think of the name of. Northern European country, I think the gun was made by FN, basically a similar gun to the Hakim, but some of them were made in 30-06. That would be a fun gun to own.

We all get told  this narrative that the rest of the world used bolt guns and we dominated because we had the only semi- out there, the Garand, but a little bit of looking around shows that a lot of the countries had semi guns at the begining and then ditched them for logistical reasons, reliability, or manufacturing complexity.  Apparently some of our guys even got stuck with M1903 Spring fields, but you never see that in any of the old movies or B&W TV. It would be interesting to see what some of those other Semi Autos would have grown into if they had been developed.

I'm not a huge bolt gun guy, but a few on that list are on my wishlist. I'd like some SMLE variant, a Krag-Jorg, and everyone makes the M9130 sound pretty nice. Obviously the US guns on that list would be nice to have too. About the time I learn about appealing C&R guns, everone else has already known about them for years and the killer deals are gone. 

The Marines got most of the 1903s, the Army in ETO and Mediterranean pulled the Garands for the first phase of the war. Gradually that changed to all front line troops used semis for the final pushes into Europe and Pacific. 

I really think a lot of honchos were shocked at how much difference firepower made in the hands of good troops. 

I have a '03A3, M1 Carbine, and an M1 Garand. Love 'em all.  :D

I also have a bayonet (with scabbard) from an Arisaka that came from one of my uncles. I don't know how/when he got it, or any details about it other than it's for an Arisaka.

Swedish Ljungman AG-42. The Hakim is an Egyptian copy made on the same tooling. I don't recall any being chambered for .30-06 though. Originally 7.92 Mauser then 6.5 Swede. The Hakim was later converted into the Rasheed Carbine chambered in 7.62x39.

I hear they can give you a pretty serious Swedish version of "Garand Thumb".

Maybe being a bit picky, but no belgian m1889 carbine. It was also used in WW1. And of course a few SMG's.

It wouldn't be on there, for the same reason the 1903 isn't on there.

It rightly belongs on a similar pic portraying 'The Rifles of WWI'.

Same goes for many other rifles in common use during the war, and many other rifles were developed and used, but not in common use, during the war.

Obviously, it's a incomplete representation. Anyone is welcome to collect rifles for a more historically accurate photo.

I have a 8x56r Mannlicher in the back of my safe, still haven't shot it.

Funny that the M1 Carbine appears to be the only semi-auto in the line-up.

I'd rather have a semi-auto, IMHO. Maybe that's the point that the photographer was trying to make.

I know that the other nations had semi-autos, as referenced earlier.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 1

Funny that the M1 Carbine appears to be the only semi-auto in the line-up.

There's also an M1 rifle (Garand).

I think you have the FN-49 in mind - a little after WWII, great rifles.

As for the SVT-40 - yeah, they're pricey, and there aren't a ton out there, but sometimes you can find a steal on a rifle with no magazine, and there is now a company producing quality reproduction mags. I managed to get my SVT-40 for $600 several years ago. I still want an AVT-40 to add to the collection...

Click to Enlarge

yxhfF.jpg

Did anyone else notice that many of the flags are blatantly incorrect? Like the Brazilian flag for the M1 Carbine, or the non-Japanese flag for the Arisaka rifles?

Distal was right, I was thinking of the AG-42  Ljungman, but the FN-49 sounds nice too. I'd be willing to risk the " Ljungman thumb" if you sent me one. They looked soft shooting and fast. Mag fed, but only issued with one mag and stripper clips. (it sure takes military leadership a long time to recognize when they've got a good thing going.) It had adjustible DI, a fast manual of arms, and even a pretty mondern looking comp on the end.

I swear though that i read somewhere or maybe saw a video that mentioned some made in several other calibers that were more accessible. Even the hakim in 7.62 x39 sounds more convenient.

I guess I am just a gun hipster. Everyone goes nuts over mosin nagants and SKS,  etc, and I look at weird stuff like the krag, k31 Swiss, and ljungman and want that instead.