My mag catch works without be modded

I bought my first Saiga 7.62x39 and just finished converting it. I installed my bullet guide and was about to mod the mag catch but when I went to try the circle 10 mag I have it fit perfect. Is this normal that the magazine catch does not need to be fitted for ak47 mags or did I just luck out? Anyways can't wait to run this at my local uspsa match! I should be getting my handguards this week and will install with the saiga-ak handguard retainer that I bought.

I bought one of the original European American Armory Saigas with a 20" barrel back in the 90's and I never had to file down the mag catch.  Regular AK mags would always fit, they just wouldn't feed without the bullet guide.  In fact, I remember seeing a bunch of Saigas at a gun show back then and trying this out (with the vendor's permission of course) and the AK mags fit.  I think it's later tha they started making them slightly longer so the regular AK mags would no longer fit.  Maybe you just got lucky though.

I found "shaping" the mag catch a little stressful, on my 7.62x39 Saiga. My Dremel cutting wheel worked best but, the other side of the wheel was extremely close to the receiver bottom, at times. It could have got ugly but, I wasn't in a hurry.

(Warning! Anyone not comfortable with hand-tools should not work on guns.)

Not having to mess with it saved you at least an hour. I checked the fit against 6 irregular Chinese mags that I happened to have.

I don't remember having to do anything to my 5.45 Saiga mag catch.

• 2 weeks later...

Completed my conversion and got a second waffle mag to confirm if my mag catch good to go. I lucked out and now it is time to put several thousand rounds through this saiga ak47!

Somebody put a chastity belt on your pistol grip...

Ya unfortunately I live in California so I had to put that damn fish fin on my pistol grip or else I need to get a bullet button.

I hate bullet buttons! I have one on my Ar and I can not stand not being able to do quick magazine changes. So I will probably being going featureless on that rifle also. The nice thing is I can take off the kydex wrap a lot easier than the lame ass bullet button.

• 2 weeks later...