Range Day With The New Vepr

OH, I think I get it now.  I did copious amounts of drugs during my misspent youth so sometimes it takes me a minute or two to catch on....you're saying the topic title should have read "Range Day with MY new Vepr"....right?  I'll throw a big DUH in too.

But she is beautiful, no?

• Like 1

Sent about 150 rounds down range.

attachicon.gifVepr.jpg

Got to decide on a side mount, leaning toward the K-Var SM-13.  Also considering trying a Shot Shock tube to help mitigate recoil for follow up shots.

I would definitely recommend the rs regulate ak300. Just got one in for a friend or mine as a Christmas gift from his wife. Excellent mount! Pricey but well worth it. I'm probably gonna get one myself first of the year.

Beautiful 54r by the way. I have been wanting one for awhile. I'll get one if I can stop building ARs long enough lol

attachicon.gifVepr.jpg

Got to decide on a side mount, leaning toward the K-Var SM-13.  Also considering trying a Shot Shock tube to help mitigate recoil for follow up shots.

I would definitely recommend the rs regulate ak300. Just got one in for a friend or mine as a Christmas gift from his wife. Excellent mount! Pricey but well worth it. I'm probably gonna get one myself first of the year.

I looked at the RS Regulate too but it seems it's strong suit is being able to mount various kinds of optics with a minimum of excess rail over the receiver.  This isn't a big deal to me, am I missing something (which is likely just as I missed the stuff above)?

attachicon.gifVepr.jpg

I looked at the RS Regulate too but it seems it's strong suit is being able to mount various kinds of optics with a minimum of excess rail over the receiver.  This isn't a big deal to me, am I missing something (which is likely just as I missed the stuff above)?

You can also adjust it so that it lines up properly with your sights. It's also mounts your optic extremely low while being able to still remove the dust cover and leaving the optic on. It's also very low profile where it attaches to the side rail. Very solid and I love the way it locks on.

attachicon.gifVepr.jpg

Usually a title like this one has some sort of range report ie; groupings at whatever distance using whatever ammo, pics of targets at said distance, overall function etc. etc. Hence my "anti climactic" response to your first post.

Like this topic....http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86791-saiga-308-21-100-yard-shoot/

The RS mount gives a super low profile all while being modular from 30mm mount, to 1913 rail, to micro dot type mount, as well as a new location of the latch so it doesn't interfere with the trigger guard/trigger finger. It is truly a nice mount and yea, it isn't the cheapest. But options seem to cost

Edited by Mullet Man

attachicon.gifVepr.jpg

Usually a title like this one has some sort of range report ie; groupings at whatever distance using whatever ammo, pics of targets at said distance, overall function etc. etc. Hence my "anti climactic" response to your first post.

Like this topic....http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/86791-saiga-308-21-100-yard-shoot/

The RS mount gives a super low profile all while being modular from 30mm mount, to 1913 rail, to micro dot type mount, as well as a new location of the latch so it doesn't interfere with the trigger guard/trigger finger. It is truly a nice mount and yea, it isn't the cheapest. But options seem to cost

I apologize for the misleading topic title, the post was never meant to be a report.

The fact of the matter is I have an eye condition called endothelial distrophy which causes the front sight (among other things) to be blurred regardless of lens correction.  The result is thoroughly unimpressive results with iron sights.  The goal was more about running the rifle, breaking it in.

I figure with the right optic I might be able to hit something at respectable distances.

I'll do a proper range report when I get it all sorted out.

SCOUTJOE,

AS PER SQUISHY, IT'S 14X1LH, AND I'M RUNNING A PRIMARY WEAPONS FSC47 ON MINE.

I SWEAR IT REDUCES THE RECOIL LEVEL TO THAT OF A X39 AK.

VERY LITTLE FLASH, MORE LIKE TWO OR THREE SPARKS, REALLY, AND THAT'S WITH BARNAUL, BOTH REGULAR AND MATCH AMMO.

AS IT WAS DESIGNED FOR THE X39 ROUND, I CONTACTED PW TO MAKE SURE I WASN'T "OVER-AMPING" THIS THING WITH ADDED PRESSURE AND GAS VOLUME AND THEY SAID IT'S GOOD TO GO.

TIGHTENED UP THE GROUPING TOO.

ALSO, TO MY MY UNDERSTANDING, ENIDINE DROPPED PRODUCTION OF THAT HYDRAULIC BUFFER JUST AFTER NEWTOWN; DIDN'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS HAVING ANY CONNECTION TO GUN STUFF.

MANAGED TO GET ONE JUST BEFORE THE CUTOFF, FROM MOUNTING SOLUTIONS PLUS, ($150) FOR MY S-12.

WITH IT, I CAN PECK OUT 3RNDS OF 3" MAG OO, PER SECOND, ACCURATELY.

THE VENTILATED POLY CHOKE HELPS A BIT TOO.

WILL ENIDINE PULL THEIR NUTS BACK DOWN FROM BEHIND THEIR BELLY-BUTTON, AND RESTART PRODUCTION, NOW THAT THINGS HAVE COOLED OFF A BIT.........WHO KNOWS.

MIGHT BE WORTH A PHONE CALL.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

Also considering trying a Shot Shock tube to help mitigate recoil for follow up shots.

Why not a compensator? the flash hider doesn't do much, and a decent comp can be had for $65, which is less than the shot shock tube, I think.

Also considering trying a Shot Shock tube to help mitigate recoil for follow up shots.

Why not a compensator? the flash hider doesn't do much, and a decent comp can be had for $65, which is less than the shot shock tube, I think.

Well actually I have this on the way (somewhere between here and Salt Lake City);

post-41803-0-51985800-1387080042_thumb.jpg

The hider I have on it now was $9.95 from CSS til the other comes.

"ALSO, TO MY MY UNDERSTANDING, ENIDINE DROPPED PRODUCTION OF THAT HYDRAULIC BUFFER JUST AFTER NEWTOWN; DIDN'T WANT TO BE SEEN AS HAVING ANY CONNECTION TO GUN STUFF."

This is true, I just happen to have an extra.

Edited by Squishy

I apologize for the misleading topic title, the post was never meant to be a report.

The fact of the matter is I have an eye condition called endothelial distrophy which causes the front sight (among other things) to be blurred regardless of lens correction.  The result is thoroughly unimpressive results with iron sights.  The goal was more about running the rifle, breaking it in.

I figure with the right optic I might be able to hit something at respectable distances.

No apology necessary, I was breaking balls a little.

I hope you get some glass on it, so you can stretch those x54r legs.

Edited by Mullet Man

No apology necessary, I was breaking balls a little.

I hope you get some glass on it, so you can stretch those x54r legs.

My eye doc seems to think if I get a prescription zeroed in on the distance from my eyes to the front sights on my pistols (an average of sight radii) and possibly this rifle it might help, he's willing to do this.  I'd like to get good to go at 2-300 yards w/optic but I don't have a place to shoot beyond 100 yards.

Optics are nice up close once you get them fitted for a consisten cheek weld. I'm convinced most of the people who think scopes aren't good up close, have had misalignment and eye relief set wrong/ too high starting magnification.

But, it's your gun so if you like irons, more power to you. Cool looking comp. Why that one over any of the other choices? I keep half an eye on those, so I'd like to know what you think of it, and why you chose that one.

But, it's your gun so if you like irons, more power to you. Cool looking comp. Why that one over any of the other choices? I keep half an eye on those, so I'd like to know what you think of it, and why you chose that one.

Well there's the old thing about getting proficient with the irons before going to an optic but actually it's a necessity, buying the rifle and upgrades, replacing the "throw away" stock etc. tapped me out. 

I got the Primary Arms piece after doing due diligence and reading many positive comments about it at places other than the PA site.  It was between the FSC30 and the SJC Titan;

post-41803-0-01738000-1387117056.jpg

They are exactly the same price and I just finally made a decision to go with PA. 

I'm not certain I'll be able to find a rail setup that will still allow use of the irons though, the V2 sights are very low which would be a good thing for irons alone.  I would have gone with V1 sights but they were all slant cut receivers so I opted to go with a square back.

I'd kinda like an idea before I cut off the protector so I can shop for a flash hider.

Here's how the removal went for me.  I used a cylindrical stone type deal on a Dremel and as best I could locate the head of the pin I cut it out.

post-41803-0-05367800-1387248118_thumb.jpg

I never did see the pin shaft so in my typical impatient fashion I just put some Vise-Grips on the collar and turned clock-wise.  I felt it loosen up so I kept turning and it came off.  Turns out the pin just laid down.  The collar isn't threaded from one end to the other, the end where the pin is is a bigger I.D. and not threaded.

post-41803-0-07451500-1387248268_thumb.jpg

The pin did scratch the rounded "shoulder" that leads down to the threads on end of the barrel but the it's not bad and the threads were untouched.

The Alfa mount sits low as hell but costs a bit. I'm going to get one eventually.

Won't work with V2 sights.

That's a nice looking gun Squishy, very nice.

Now I want a semi-auto in 54r but, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

I might have to cull the gun safe, for the first time (in 15 years of collecting).. I have a Cetme .308 and an SKS-D that I could part with.

Edited by Sim_Player