Duplicating new style barrel hood on old barrel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Don't overthink it. Extend what you have. Maintain that angle at the rear, then file the notch. The only part of it that is very critical is the original angle as it initiates and times bolt rotation at lockup. Exact notch dimensions are not critical. Eyeball it reasonable close will work just fine. Good luck with your project, and yes, it is a mod worth doing. I include it standard on Evl Grade builds.

On 1/14/2021 at 11:05 AM, evlblkwpnz said:

Don't overthink it. Extend what you have. Maintain that angle at the rear, then file the notch. The only part of it that is very critical is the original angle as it initiates and times bolt rotation at lockup. Exact notch dimensions are not critical. Eyeball it reasonable close will work just fine. Good luck with your project, and yes, it is a mod worth doing. I include it standard on Evl Grade builds.

Thanks bro.  So TIG welding is strong enough in this application?

• Like 1
Just now, pedal2alloy said:

Thanks bro.  So TIG welding is strong enough in this application?

I'm not a TIG expert, by far, but if you get good penetration I don't see why it wouldn't be adequate since it is not subject to much stress in normal operation. Don't get it too hot. I had a meltdown on the first one I did and had to rebuild it. Wasted a lot of time, but it looked like nothing happened and never failed. You will learn something whether it goes good or bad.