vepr .308 chambering 7.62 NATO

My apologies if this topic has been brought up before (or if it is considered a stupid question) but I was curious as to whether or not the vepr .308 is able to chamber and cycle (safely of course) 7.62 NATO (7.62x51).  It was my understanding, after a small amount of research, that nearly any rifle chambered for .308 would be able to safely handle 7.62 NATO.  However, I have received two different answers from two different importer/manufacturers regarding the vepr .308 and I wanted to inquire from those who actually own and/or have shot both types of ammunition through the vepr .308  Thank you for your time.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

Although very similar to the military 7.62×51mm NATO specifications, the .308 cartridge is not identical, and there are special considerations that may apply when mixing these cartridges with 7.62×51mm NATO, and .308 Winchester chambered arms.[5] Their interchange is, however, considered safe by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI).[6]

• 1 month later...