3" shells?

i had some 3" turkey loads, so tried them out.  yes, they kick a bit more, but not too bad.  Once i get a brake on, it should be better yet.  

But i tend to agree.. the 2.75" have plenty of firepower, & are cheaper.

Yes, you can. But from my experience they beat the hell out of you. With advances in powders and ammunitions 2 3/4 do the dop just fine. 

Yep, but it sorta depends on the job. People wanting to shoot at geese from far away have a pretty good reason for wanting a big payload. Ditto, for people who want the ability to perforate bears or large hogs. Long pork is 2.75" territory.

• Like 1

I used to underestimate the power of a 12ga 2 3/4" rifled slug until the year I shot a deer at about 25 yds. head on.... the slug went in the neck, down the right side of the spine (ruining a perfectly good loin), and if not for hitting the hip socket, would have easily exited and kept on going! The 3" round has it's place (as does the 3 1/2"), but I question the "bigger is better" mentality that some people use when they select it.

Well Im going to stick with the Brenneke 2-3/4" Max barrier penetration rounds. They clear 30" of ballistics gel, give 3500 ft/lbs of energy, and offer great accuracy for my V12. I cant bitch about that. I havent found any  3" slugs that bring the same performance.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes. Just not 3.5"

i did a 3.5 out of a saiga . shell would not fit in the mag but it chambered. so me being the moron that i am decided to fire it. it fired and ejected fine pretty stout round. no problems to rifle. would not recomend anyone ever try this ever.

Yes. Just not 3.5"

i did a 3.5 out of a saiga . shell would not fit in the mag but it chambered. so me being the moron that i am decided to fire it. it fired and ejected fine pretty stout round. no problems to rifle. would not recomend anyone ever try this ever.

015.gif  I assume it was not a slug...

• Like 1

Yes. Just not 3.5"

why would you assume that?........no it was magnum birdshot. still more than id ever want to try again.

Well Im going to stick with the Brenneke 2-3/4" Max barrier penetration rounds. They clear 30" of ballistics gel, give 3500 ft/lbs of energy, and offer great accuracy for my V12. I cant bitch about that. I havent found any  3" slugs that bring the same performance.

Cool deal. Have to look them up. 

why would you assume that?........no it was magnum birdshot. still more than id ever want to try again.

Because if it WAS a slug, you would have probably posted about the bulge it caused in your barrel! The cup and shot have a little " give" when they are forced to pass over the mouth of the hull where as the slug does not. Sometimes you hear about someone shooting grandpa's old side by side that "kicked like a mule" - usually those guns were made before the 2 3/4" shell became "standard", and the increase in recoil was for the shot being compressed at the mouth when fired in a 2 9/16" chamber!

Because if it WAS a slug, you would have probably posted about the bulge it caused in your barrel! The cup and shot have a little " give" when they are forced to pass over the mouth of the hull where as the slug does not. Sometimes you hear about someone shooting grandpa's old side by side that "kicked like a mule" - usually those guns were made before the 2 3/4" shell became "standard", and the increase in recoil was for the shot being compressed at the mouth when fired in a 2 9/16" chamber!

well im by no means an expert. but if you look down the saiga barrel its pretty much a straight tube. but again i say PLEASE DONT TRY THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.  it was very stupid and is in general a very bad idea.

i should have mentioned at the time i had the md arms v plug and the gas was pretty much turned to the lowest setting.

i only brought it up because the saiga 12 will in fact chamber the round, its not like some other shotguns where its impossible to fit.

again dont try it.

Cool deal. Have to look them up. 

They fetch a high price, but the trade off is worth it IMO. They are similar to the Special Forces Short Magnums they make. I think you'll like them. 032.gif