changing the volume of your thoughts

I can control the volume of the thoughts in my head. sometimes you really need to listen to the backround music anyways, it can tell you a lot more then you think. 

even deeper? listen to the sounds that you don't think of. listen to the hums, whistles, rattles and the such, sometimes they contain more info then you know, and the volume of what you WERE thinking has dropped to an all time low.

Fair warning, this may cause headaches, be careful of the headaches, they may in fact be louder thoughts then you could have ever imagined, the choice is weather you embrace them or not!

Ok, so maybe I should stop hearing the thoughts in my head?

I can control the volume of the thoughts in my head. sometimes you really need to listen to the backround music anyways, it can tell you a lot more then you think. 

even deeper? listen to the sounds that you don't think of. listen to the hums, whistles, rattles and the such, sometimes they contain more info then you know, and the volume of what you WERE thinking has dropped to an all time low.

Fair warning, this may cause headaches, be careful of the headaches, they may in fact be louder thoughts then you could have ever imagined, the choice is weather you embrace them or not!

Ok, so maybe I should stop hearing the thoughts in my head?

I guess it depends on whether our inner voices are telling us the truth.  if I felt my inner voice was deceiving me, I would go completely insane.  Since my thoughts are based upon the reality I feel my minds experience represents, Im just fine to let the voices go wild.   

The trick is to completely turn your thoughts off. By thoughts I mean the inner voice you hear that vocalizes your thoughts. I have read there is a trick to it, and it really heightens your awareness.

You do this by letting your mind go blank, and then focus on a object, and only that object. You observe that object intensely, letting nothing other than it's details into your mind. Say in the woods for instance, you focus on a tree or other object, intently gazing at it.

Not only will your mind gather in previously unnoticed details about that object, but your other senses are heightened too. Your hearing will be more acute, your sense of smell at times actually will get sharper, etc. But it only works as long as you hold your study of the object, if you start letting the thoughts flood back into your mind your ultra awareness will disappear....

• Like 1

The trick is to completely turn your thoughts off....

My problem sometimes is trying to fall asleep at night.  In the darkness and quiet there's nothing to do but think and not being able to turn it off I stay wide awake.  It's not necessarily worry or angst, it could be thinking about what I'm going to do tomorrow, or some sort of project I'm working on or a problem I'm trying to solve.  I've tried visualizing a blank TV screen like when it's not on a channel, static...or water breaking on the shore at the beach.

It's not easy...for me at least.

Squishy, I've got the same problem, unless it's happy thoughts. If something good is coming tomorrow that I know about, I focus on that and fall asleep quick. If there's bad thoughts (banners, govt spying): no sleep. If you find a good way overcome it, let me know.

Squishy, I've got the same problem, unless it's happy thoughts. If something good is coming tomorrow that I know about, I focus on that and fall asleep quick. If there's bad thoughts (banners, govt spying): no sleep. If you find a good way overcome it, let me know.

I tend not to stay awake over things I cannot affect or change.  I guess it's years of keeping the Serenity Prayer in mind.  Something good is just as likely to keep me awake, the anticipation I guess.  If I have the luxury of not having to get up early or if it's a day off tomorrow it's not a problem.

But all things considered it's not really that bad.  I would still like to find a way to turn off my brain though. 

I do find that "white noise" helps.  I turn on a fan or something so it's not dead quiet.  And I guess a prescription sleep aid is always an option.

But all things considered it's not really that bad.  I would still like to find a way to turn off my brain though. 

I do find that "white noise" helps.  I turn on a fan or something so it's not dead quiet.  And I guess a prescription sleep aid is always an option.

In the warm months a small fan works great for that. Dunno about the winter though...

If ive had a shit day a couple beers and then turning on the master bathroom fan does it for me. Total silence=no sleep, brain keeps racing. Tv on=no sleep, brain focuses on subject matter and refuses to shut down. Its a balancing act it seems

The trick is to completely turn your thoughts off. By thoughts I mean the inner voice you hear that vocalizes your thoughts. I have read there is a trick to it, and it really heightens your awareness.

You do this by letting your mind go blank, and then focus on a object, and only that object. You observe that object intensely, letting nothing other than it's details into your mind. Say in the woods for instance, you focus on a tree or other object, intently gazing at it.

Not only will your mind gather in previously unnoticed details about that object, but your other senses are heightened too. Your hearing will be more acute, your sense of smell at times actually will get sharper, etc. But it only works as long as you hold your study of the object, if you start letting the thoughts flood back into your mind your ultra awareness will disappear....

Reminds me of meditation techniques, seriously the same thing.

Works too, but its not so good for sleeping.

Sex works for that so hard to improve on it.

As for OP, isnt that kind of like changing the color of a sound?