Installing 14mmx1 adapter then 5/8x24 FSC30

I have a 14mmx1 adapter from CNC Warrior and a FSC30 comp from Primary Arms to install.  This is probably a no brainer for the majority here who have more experience than myself.

I understand that once I install the left hand threaded adapter and then the right hand threaded comp it will be turning against the adapter.  The adapter has no flat sides, if it did it would be a matter of holding it with a standard wrench while tightening/indexing the comp.

A friend mentioned using a "strap wrench" to tighten and hold the adapter.  I prefer not to scratch anything up using my Bubba skills.

How would you do this?  Any Loctite called for?

TO ASK WHAT MAY BE AN IGNUNT QUESTION, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUST GO WITH THE FSC47, IT'S ALREADY 14X1LH?

Mainly because the FSC47 is billed as being for the AK47, or 7.62x39.  The FSC30 is roughly an inch longer and weighs 1 ounce more.  I figured it would be better for the 54r round.

• 2 weeks later...

The FSC30 does come with a set of shims but I'm not getting how what you're talking about will work.  The FSC30 is right handed, the adapter is left handed so one will not tighten the other right?

What am I missing? (and it's entirely possible I'm missing something)

Sorry I forgot the LH and RH issue..

I would say LEATHER on the adapter maybe with gentle turns till snug.. if you don't intend on removing then RED loctite on the adapter may due the trick..

If your FSB had index pins they would lock in the adapter (like the std AK has on most FSB's)..

I would have emailed Dinzag and asked him before ordering the comp.. he may have been able to turn a smaller ID brake/comp to be 14LH  and then no adapter would have been needed.. he did it for me and my Saiga 308.. I sent him the brake/comp and he reworked it to thread on for me..

Sorry.. not to many adapting on these.. my 54R wasn't factory threaded so I just threaded mine to 5/8-24R from the gate myself.

No problem, thanks for the input.  I have a jam nut on the way from CNC Warrior to put behind the adapter.  So I'll red Loctite it as you've suggested and then tighten the nut and hopefully that will hold it when the FSC30 goes on.  The thought did cross my mind to have the barrel cut just enough to rethread as 5/8x24.

Thing is, if it doesn't work out, no harm.  If I can't get everything to stay put I can do the rethread thing on the barrel.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote the red loctite. If you ever need to take it off just warm it up with a heat gun, or mag dumps biggrin.png

I've meant to check to see just how hot barrels get but I always forget my infrared thermometer.  Anybody every measure the temps?