I'm contemplating buying this rifle just because I've never seen one but I don't know anything about them.  The only markings on it are on the left hand side above the pistol grip "GSAD MANH. BEA..CA" and I can faintly see what I believe to be the words "Norinco and China" but I can't make out what is in between them.  There are no other markings on this rifle including caliber other than its four digit serial number.  It appears to have an after market brake on it as someone had to grind it down on the bottom so that the spike would lock in place.  I'm also not sure about the upper hand guard, the ones I've seen in pictures have the same style of "bakelite" upper hand guard as the rest of the furniture.  Is there a way to identify the import year and is this rifle worth purchasing or is it junk compared to my Russian AK's?  The condition of the rifle is 7 out of 10 cosmetically.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

post-37529-0-18735800-1387587816_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-11697000-1387587845_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-00543600-1387588173_thumb.jpg

The red rectangle is around the words "NORINCO XXXX CHINA".  

post-37529-0-59068100-1387587876_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-24696500-1387587891_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-88121800-1387587911_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-36527400-1387587937_thumb.jpg

I have a Norinco AK I bought in 1991 and its still going strong, believe it or not the Chinese do make a pretty good AK. I have only seen a few of the ones like you pictured so it is fairly rare if you can get it for a good price snatch it up! Maybe pull the gas piston out to make sure there is not bad rust damage in the tube or gas block, the barrels are chrome lined so you cant hardley hurt them unles it has had 20,000 rounds put through it. The upper hand guard is an after market piece that is fairly cheap I bought like it for $10 on Ebay too bad it doesn't have the original upper with it. You might keep an eye on Ebay though I have seen the bakealite ones on there from time to time fairly cheap.

Edited by misterT

Type 56S-2. I'd buy it. MAK-90's and NHM's are selling for good prices, Pre-ban Chinese guns are growing smaller in number. 

As Nemo said, it looks like it was a parts build. Based off receiver color not matching/rivets. I'd still pick it up

Edited by VR6Shooter

Well here's the markings for a Type 56S.

attachicon.gifIMG_2512.JPG

Strange that yours are so small.  Wonder if it was built up from parts?

There are absolutely no markings whatsoever like what you have on yours.

I have a Norinco AK I bought in 1991 and its still going strong, believe it or not the Chinese do make a pretty good AK. I have only seen a few of the ones like you pictured so it is fairly rare if you can get it for a good price snatch it up! Maybe pull the gas piston out to make sure there is not bad rust damage in the tube or gas block, the barrels are chrome lined so you cant hardley hurt them unles it has had 20,000 rounds put through it. The upper hand guard is an after market piece that is fairly cheap I bought like it for $10 on Ebay too bad it doesn't have the original upper with it. You might keep an eye on Ebay though I have seen the bakealite ones on there from time to time fairly cheap.

If the price is right I may buy it but I really wish it had its original upper hand guard.  Thanks for the info on where to find the upper hand guard.

The folding stock itself is worth hundreds of dollars $300-$500 and the FSB and bayo is easily worth $250 or more, then you have the value of the other parts.  If that guy will sell it to you for $500 go buy it tonight, right now.  It would be a great deal at $800 and a good deal at $1000.  I beleive this to be a pre-ban AK as I think GSAD were very early imports, I think people called them "movie" guns as they were imported in the early 80's and many were used in movies.  

ETA - replace that gas tube cover with a real CHinese one and remove the muzzle brake and it might be a $1400 rifle, check Gun Broker for them.   Bottom line worth wat more than $500!

It's probably not going to sell at this price, but look at what it is listed for, http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=383295788

Here is one that sold and the one you might buy would be worth more if it was all original in excellent shape because of the rare folder,

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=371728919

Edited by HOG76
  • Like 1

The two rear rivets that hold the stock on do look different than the others on the rifle.  They don't look to bad on the right hand side of the rifle but on the left hand side they don't have the same round shape as the others.  I don't see any signs on the butt stock that it was removed and there is zero play on it.  It locks tight both extended and when folded.  The cleaning kit is inside the butt stock. I wonder if I could find the correct rivets for the butt stock and have them redone.

GSAD are early imports. I think the only thing earlier were Claycos. Anyway. Chinese AKs are top notch. This isnt Walmart. This is of the same assembly line as the Military rifles, same rifle minus the FA. Infact Chinese firearms got banned because a bunch of Norinco execs decided to import full auto military AKs. They are just as good as Russian AKs. If that is the original folder and not a aftermarket airsoft then its worth about $500. All in all without seing that rifle up close in my hands its $1500.

The only Chinese AKs that had problems were the B-West MADE. They imported some fully functioning rifles and they also imported parts kits which they built on their own receivers, which were not heat treated.

GSAD MANH. BEA. CA  = Golden State Arms Manhattan Beach California. Early through mid 80's importer of military arms. The plastic Norinco's were imported through them so it might a legit RED spiker. They did a lot of AK's and were known for sportsterizing  the French Mas 36 rifles and early HK imports.  Clayco was still before them.   From the pics someone swapped the upper handguard if is legit and the going rate on a RED is Between $1100 - $1700. I've seen clean in the box one's go for more.... With out the spike bayonet.

That is a sweet rifle. I'd snatch it up in a skinny minute and redo the rear rivets. Then find a bakelite upper HG & put a slant brake or a Chinese birdcage FH on it. My 84-S came with the birdcage from the factory. There should be something stamped on the left side of the front trunnion. What does it look like can you post a pic?

That is a sweet rifle. I'd snatch it up in a skinny minute and redo the rear rivets. Then find a bakelite upper HG & put a slant brake or a Chinese birdcage FH on it. My 84-S came with the birdcage from the factory. There should be something stamped on the left side of the front trunnion. What does it look like can you post a pic?

The only thing on the front trunnion is the four serial number on the left hand side. The trunnion, bolt carrier and bolt have the same serial numbers. Any idea of where I would find the correct rivets for the rear trunnion?

post-37529-0-73688700-1387685153_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-91837700-1387685189_thumb.jpg

post-37529-0-61970600-1387685216_thumb.jpg

One other thing, is it safe to say this rifle is a pre-ban and if so does that mean it isn't subject the the 922r? Is there a way to date this rifle, there are no other markings visible other than the serial number and importers name?

AKBuilder has them.

I'm assuming you'll need two long rivets, yes?

Yes, I would need the two long rivets. I didn't see any rivets on the AKBuilder site specific to a Chinese AK but I did read something that the rivers for a PSL would work.

Yes, the rifle is almost guaranteed to be preban based of the lack of markings and the import name. It was probably imported super early (just a guess).

I would think that any AKM rivets would work fine.

Found this info yet?

http://chicom47.com/Importers/ImportCompanies.htm

Edited by Sim_Player

Yes, the rifle is almost guaranteed to be preban based of the lack of markings and the import name. It was probably imported super early (just a guess).

I would think that any AKM rivets would work fine.

Cool, thanks for your input. I'm going to take it to the range tomorrow to make sure it functions properly and then I'll make an offer to the owner.

Check my previous post.

This rifle, if it was a movie gun, could have been in any of the popular 80's Vietnam Movies.

How low is the serial number? You mentioned it was 4 digits..

That article also made no mention of side-folding stocks, thus reinforcing my suspiction that the furniture was changed and isn't original (not that I would care).

Edited by Sim_Player

Check my previous post.

Bay of Pigs, clandestined CIA operations, damn...now I want it..

How low is the serial number? You mentioned it was 4 digits..

That article also made no mention of side-folding stocks, thus reinforcing my suspiction that the furniture was changed and isn't original (not that I would care).

Wow. That's pretty darn low.

It's lower that the S/N's mentioned in my link.

I found a link to another gun forum. It talked about a GSAD gun being sold with a 3 digit S/N.

I would still buy yours in a heartbeat. That folder is sweet. Noone else makes them.

Edited by Sim_Player

I took the rifle out to the range this morning and fired 100 rounds through it. Surprisingly the trigger was crisp and felt as good as all of my G2's. I may have to make an offer on this rifle and then work on getting the correct upper hand guard and muzzle device.

Infact Chinese firearms got banned because a bunch of Norinco execs decided to import full auto military AKs.

And a bunch of those weapons made it to the Oriental street gangs.  A friend of a friend is a banger out there, and brought one up here.  Beautiful gun!  Was still half packed in cosmo and no scratch from the safety yet!  Told him to take it back home and turn it in, and tell them where you got it.  It wasn't worth the prison time.  Norinco got busted 6 weeks later.