M77 PAP .308 AK pictures

Well we just picked this rifle up, not bad for the money. These have been out around a year however there is little being said about them.. They run in and around $600 at present with a few deals as low as $500 from time to time.

Rifle appears to be all new parts, at least as far as I see.

Thumb hole is not lefty friendly. Receiver is angle cut, uses the Yugo pattern buttstock that bolts to the trunnion rather than using screws.. Ace does make a adapter block, which I'll probably use.

post-2952-0-81529800-1387686884_thumb.jpg

Rail appears to be different from normal AK pattern.

post-2952-0-73853100-1387688044_thumb.jpg

Muzzle is threaded 14x1 reverse threads with a mig welded cap.

post-2952-0-63030000-1387686976_thumb.jpg

Bolt has two lugs rather then three as found on the vepr .308 and saiga .308.. The brownish yellow crap is packing grease.

post-2952-0-47569700-1387687489_thumb.jpg

Gas block is adjustable

post-2952-0-59160600-1387687611_thumb.jpg

Trigger set looks like a fairly standard double hook arrangement.. You can also see the mounting screw for the buttstock, and the slotted screw for the pistol grip. The rifle has a pistol nut riveted to the outside of the receiver, and it is threaded.

post-2952-0-93642400-1387687702_thumb.jpg

Stock magazines are less then thrilling, they can bind... I'll try to fix this situation soon.

post-2952-0-35913900-1387687249_thumb.jpg

Bolt carrier machine work looks kinda sloppy. But it is fairly smooth for an AK.

post-2952-0-79373800-1387687843_thumb.jpg

Anyway I won't be hitting the range for a few weeks.. But happy to answer any questions or take a picture.

• Like 1

Well I'm sure some you won't be able to answer but just the same I will ask them in hopes of maybe generating some attention for aftermarket parts.

1.  Any compatibility to any existing 20, 25, 30 round .308 mags available?

2.  How many settings are there on the gas regulator?

3.  Who is working on a fixed stock adapter for this sucker?  Because I know I'd want to stick a US made set of foregrips, pistol grip and stock on it.

• 1 month later...

1. Some people are chopping M14 mags to fit.. Most have a sort of 'post apocalyptic gunsmith' look to them. It weakens the M-14 mag plus good M-14 mags are not all that cheap anyway.

I have something cooking for them.. Its not just an M77 magazine which is why its getting bumped up my list.

By combining several gun designs we came up with a  base mag that will do a few different guns by changing a couple parts.

That way I can spend more on the plates and have them do a little more..... You'll understand more what I mean once it comes out

2. I finally found it on the mess of a design desk. It has 3 settings.

3. Ace makes an adapter. Desert fox outfitters has it for $60

• Like 1

regarding the binding issue with the stock mags: just an observation that the mag wall stamping looks to be very close to the stamping on a 7.62 NATO AR-10 mag. I wonder if you could use US-made AR-10 followers with the stock magazines?

regarding the binding issue with the stock mags: just an observation that the mag wall stamping looks to be very close to the stamping on a 7.62 NATO AR-10 mag. I wonder if you could use US-made AR-10 followers with the stock magazines?

Makes you wonder how hard an adapter would be, given that Mossberg's MVP Patrol rifle takes both M14 and SR25-style mags.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

thinking about buying one in a few months. I want a big-cal AK for hunting and longer ranges than 5.56/7.62x39 can do, but missed out on the various Saiga .308 and Vepr .308 deals. the M77 may not have a CL bore, but the adjustable gas system is a huge plus, as I would like to shoot all ranges of .308/7.62x51.

I thought Ironwood Designs were going to make a slant-cut PAP buttstock, but I'm not seeing it on their page. I would like it to have wood.

some people have been cutting/bending sheet steel and getting it welded to the end of the receiver to make it capped off square.

yugom90rightview.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

I thought Ironwood Designs were going to make a slant-cut PAP buttstock, but I'm not seeing it on their page. I would like it to have wood.

At the bottom of their Yugo page it says they will not be making a slant cut stock for the Yugo's and explains their reasoning.

Wish they would but he doesn't believe it'd be sturdy and thinks they are pretty much done importing slants

• Like 1

I guess I'll hold off for a few months and see if squareback M77s start coming in. I'll jump on one immediately if they do.

Could always try contacting Zastava directly.. I think I will.

Edited by mancat

That's weird, the vepr is a slant back as well

Not all, some have come in with standard receivers. The VEPR also uses the standard tang-style buttstock attachment. Yugo rifles use the old milled receiver style mount, even on their stamped rifles.

• 1 month later...

OK guys Give me one reason why I shouldn't order one this week. Seriously.

I missed out on the good Saiga .308 and VEPR .308 deals, and I've always wanted a .308 AK for hunting and longer range shooting. The M77 deal is outstanding right now.

- RPK receiver

- Muzzle threaded and ready for device

- Non-chromed bore, usually something I don't care for, but accuracy reports are putting the M77 in the 1-2MOA range with the Zastava hammer-forged barrel

- Can use Galil .308 mags, and M14/M1A mags with light modding - easy & cheap 20-rounders versus the Saiga/VEPR mags.

Only big downside is the slant-cut receiver, but not difficult to resolve really.

I ordered one today.

I haven't heard anything bad about the M14 or Galil modded mags, other than that the idea of having to mod mags doesn't appeal to some people.

Just more reason for you to make some Csspecs?

• Like 1

Its just that you thin the front of the M-14 magazines and also relieve the back corners. I tested a modded magazines and had the feedlips deform on a 36 inch drop test empty.

Its not something I would feel good putting my name on.

They could shoot well, but you can't avoid some of the weakening that happens due to the stamping pattern of the M-14 mag.

I'm trying to extract a 3d model from the stamp plate designs, just so everyone can see what we are working at..

• Like 1

I went with the Tabuk style FH also. My parts are sitting in a box until I have time to install them.

What FH retaining pin did you use?

I'm probably going to leave my hand guards alone, I kinda like the look of them. I was going to reweld a bayonet lug on, but I don't know what I'd use it for.

.......I was going to reweld a bayonet lug on, but I don't know what I'd use it for.

Ummmmmmm...........attaching a bayonet for CQC?

Haha j/k.....I know what you meant but it is funny the many ways plain text can be interpreted.

And SOB you guys are going to make me order one of these aren't you?

I really would like to hear what YOU guys are getting MOA wise before I do though.

-bp

Edited by burntpowder

Haven't put any glass on it yet and furthest I've yet to shoot is 50yds. Got a best group of 2.5" with $10 a box TulAmmo . My best grouping with 150g Remington CoreLock was about 2" but that ammo was much more consistent. Have only put 100 rounds through her. Will be picking up an RS 310 mount for it soon and throwing on a compact 2x7 or fixed 4 power soon.

My eyes are horrible indoors with irons. I'm sure the gun shoots better than I do at this point.

What FH retaining pin did you use?

I have a crush washer on there now.

Have the .625" length pin/spring on the way. Hopefully it fits, this is my 1st Yugo AK variant.

Edited by WhiskeyMinion
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up my M77 from the FFL today and very pleased with it.

I wasn't expecting my BP-02 to slide right on, but it did, so it looks like I'll be using the BP-02 with it, rather than some weird SVD mount. It stopped correctly at the center cut, and locked down securely.

Either there is a lot of misinformation on the Yugo M77 rail out there. I was reading all sorts of things, from people saying it was a standard AKM compatible rail, or an SVD rail, or a proprietary ZRAK rail.  Who knows :? It seems to work fine with the AKM clamp.

Typical super-tight Zastava build quality & excellent finish. The factory buttstock comb is definitely set up for the rifle to be shot scoped - I have a hard time getting my face down far enough to get a sight picture on the irons. The thumbhole stock is also surprisingly well-made and solid, with a good feel for benchrest/target shooting. It doesn't matter much because it will be getting an ACE folding stock on it with the slant-cut receiver block.

Have about 60rds XM80 on hand to test it out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully it will show the 1-2MOA that most people are reporting, but XM80 is probably not the best ammo to test for that with, since as far as I know it's QC-failed MG food.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

I picked up my M77 from the FFL today and very pleased with it.

I wasn't expecting my BP-02 to slide right on, but it did, so it looks like I'll be using the BP-02 with it, rather than some weird SVD mount. It stopped correctly at the center cut, and locked down securely.

Either there is a lot of misinformation on the Yugo M77 rail out there. I was reading all sorts of things, from people saying it was a standard AKM compatible rail, or an SVD rail, or a proprietary ZRAK rail.  Who knows :? It seems to work fine with the AKM clamp.

Typical super-tight Zastava build quality & excellent finish. The factory buttstock comb is definitely set up for the rifle to be shot scoped - I have a hard time getting my face down far enough to get a sight picture on the irons. The thumbhole stock is also surprisingly well-made and solid, with a good feel for benchrest/target shooting. It doesn't matter much because it will be getting an ACE folding stock on it with the slant-cut receiver block.

Have about 60rds XM80 on hand to test it out in the next couple weeks. Hopefully it will show the 1-2MOA that most people are reporting, but XM80 is probably not the best ammo to test for that with, since as far as I know it's QC-failed MG food.

Good to know. What I had seen was mostly people modding the UTG rails and similar, removing the positive stop. That would compromize return to zero. 

Although, I doubt I would ever want to take the scope off.

I am surprised you didn't list the biggest perk of the model to me: adjustible gas block. If I had cash, I would have one. It means I could reload 308 and 308 to 7.62x39 ish specs for playing around and have a very versatile economical rifle.

I mentioned it in another thread.. Personally that is one reason why I am waiting to see if the M21/M90 5.56 rifle becomes available. It has the same 3-position gas block as the M77, so ammo selection/handload tolerance should be very wide. Also the machining work on the block puck is very simple, so theoretically you could add several more positions if you need to get more gas pressure with a mild load.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/94580-m77-pap-or-vepr-308-type-01-sights/

I also have a current pic of my M77 there. The only real things left to do is do a finish job on the wood M70 handguards, and install the ACE block and folder - I haven't actually purchased the folder yet, so no point in having a stockless rifle until I do.

The BP-02 and scope is just there for show, I have not shot with it, but actually it fits very well, and the 4x PSO has a good sight picture and relief - but a little on the close side.

There's no way I would mod the rail on the rifle. I've also seen a couple people basically ruin it by removing the stop. I would rather just take the time to find mounts that properly secure on the somewhat odd Zastava rail.

x7q5RCy.jpg

Edited by mancat
  • 2 months later...

The BP-02 is available online from Kalinka Optics, and probably a few other places.. However the Midwest Industries (or its clone) mount is preferable for the M77.. It requires a small cutout be made to allow it to slide fully forward on the integrated mount, but it will give you a rail the full length of the dust cover, and is lower than the BP-02.

Cannot comment on whether or not Vepr .308 mags will work. They look close, but if they were a direct fit, I think the word would already be out about it. I have seen a couple posts on other forums that states that they do NOT fit, but some people don't try very hard to make things work.

Edited by mancat