RIP Mikhail.

94 is a damn good run. He did great things.

Sound like a good spot to make a "Harry Potter Voldemort" type comment,

"for he who must not be named did great things, horrible but great things"

You must wonder how many lives were taken at the hands of an AK, but how much fear of the loss of life was also instilled with is creation. We fear war for a reason, and I think weapons like the ak have been a big part of that standing fear

_71929193_71929192.jpg

The inventor of the Kalashnikov assault rifle, Mikhail Kalashnikov, has died aged 94, Russian officials say.The automatic rifle he designed became one of the world's most familiar and widely used weapons.Its comparative simplicity made it cheap to manufacture, as well as reliable and easy to maintain.Although honoured by the state, Kalashnikov made little money from his gun. He once said he would have been better off designing a lawn mower.

source

..probably THE most significant development in small arms since John Browning's 1911..  RIP, Mikhail!

a firearm is a tool..  if anything, small arms have done more to 'equalize' disparities between humans than anything.

Armed people are free. No state can control those who have the machinery and the will to resist, no mob can take their liberty and property. And no 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out … People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically right. Guns ended that, and a social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work. ~L. Neil Smith

• Like 1

RIP Mikhail.

94 is a damn good run. He did great things.

Sound like a good spot to make a "Harry Potter Voldemort" type comment,

"for he who must not be named did great things, horrible but great things"

You must wonder how many lives were taken at the hands of an AK, but how much fear of the loss of life was also instilled with is creation. We fear war for a reason, and I think weapons like the ak have been a big part of that standing fear

What horrible things did he do? Harry Potter is an asshat IMO.

Inventing a legendary weapon that sees widespread use is a great thing. I could care less about how many lives were lost at the hands of the AK. If we're going to start blaming a certain weapon for loss of life, then lets blame knives and guns and corruption in general.  I love the weapon and the many others it inspired.

• Like 2

I didn't say it WAS a horrible thing, as said this sounds like a place you could!!!

I swear people over react sometimes?

Celebrate his life, don't stress over his death!

Anyways at dinner with family, not worth stressing over. If my comments are going to stress people out, and be a big deal maybe a mod can delete my comments in both posts?

http://www.businessinsider.com/mikhail-kalashnikovs-death-and-his-greatest-regret-2013-12

“Whenever I look at TV and I see the weapon I invented to defend my motherland in the hands of these bin Ladens, I ask myself the same question: 'How did it get into their hands?' ” Kalashnikov said in 2006. “I didn't put it in the hands of bandits and terrorists, and it's not my fault that it has mushroomed uncontrollably across the globe. Can I be blamed that they consider it the most reliable weapon?”

"It is painful for me to see when criminal elements of all kinds fire from my weapon," he explained again in 2009

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/12/celebrate-2010-with-a-kalashnikov/

“What I’m doing now is promoting this vodka, to strengthen peace and friendship between peoples.”

He is in fact famous for something he never intended. Ask him if he could have built the gun to require good morals to fire the gun I'm sure he would have said absolutely. Would he have been happier inventing anything else? Probably. I respect any weapon as what it is, an invaluable tool first and foremost, but an extreme danger if ever in the wrong hands. Welding equipment, cooking equipment, automobiles, any pointy object, antifreeze, large breeds of dog, all very useful tools but all deadly in the wrong hands!

I personally am a Christian, I truly believe that Kalashnikov would have to be proud of the protection provided for many people, especially the motherland and yet remorseful of any death required to make that happen.

If I could kill a man who was truly abusing a child or in the act of saving someone being raped I wouldn't second guess it, but I would still not want to explain it to his mom dad brother sister wife child or other. I would still wonder how my maker would feel about it. I hunt for food, I also hunt for leather and fur, I hunt coyote for protection of others pets, the food I eat and for the fur, I love steak but somewhere I wonder if I could survive as a vegitarian who wears plant based and synthetic clothing. I think his design was more then justified, and will always remain that way.

I love to weapon to, I'm torn! I want a 308!

Vepr is $900 its a good gun!

Actual Kalashnikov (saiga) is $700

Zastava is $550

Which one? I like the idea of the actual Kalashnikov

Unless you're referring to the fact that Saigas are made in Izhmash, each of those is an "actual" Kalashnikov.

C'mon guys, let's not lose some damn perspective over this guy. He deserves respect for his accomplishments, but he was no hero. He was a communist, who designed a weapon to be to used on the Soviet Union's enemies: us, and the freedoms we stand for.

The testing grounds for his design were covered in the blood of the free, even the blood of some of our own family. Last time I checked communism is a shit wrapped in more shit. Despite the weapon being adapted to the the role of being the tool that helped some in oppression become free, don't lose perspective...

• Like 1

A very sad day.

I will think of him every time I handle my rifles.

He had an exceptional life, considering the political system that he lived under.

@ Socom688

I don't think it's a matter of losing perspective.

I saw him as someone who was happy to be done with war and didn't show any hatred of the West.

The Russian Govt. portrayed him as a Hero but, we all know better.

In the end, he seemed to be a very decent human being. He cared about his family and his country.

My brother married a Russian girl. Christmas is always interesting.

Edited by Sim_Player

C'mon guys, let's not lose some damn perspective over this guy. He deserves respect for his accomplishments, but he was no hero. He was a communist, who designed a weapon to be to used on the Soviet Union's enemies: us, and the freedoms we stand for.

The testing grounds for his design were covered in the blood of the free, even the blood of some of our own family. Last time I checked communism is a shit wrapped in more shit. Despite the weapon being adapted to the the role of being the tool that helped some in oppression become free, don't lose perspective...

Russia isnt my enemy. My enemies consist of asshats in washington, and those that wear hoodies and carry skittles and get handouts on the welfare line while coasting on others' accomplishments.

Im not the sort who jumps ship and claims people to be an "enemy" when in fact they are some of the more patriotic people Ive ran across. I wish more people here would take a lesson from the Russians and learn how to be a bit more patriotic, other than waving a flag around while chanting go USA.

The fact is, great men stem from all forms of governments. I guess Einstein was a nazi since he came from Germany just prior to Hitlers reign. rolleyes.gif See where this can get odd.

Edited by Captain Hero
  • Like 1

RIP old soldier. It is a rest well deserved.

Actually, the weapon was designed to be used against our mutual(as the Soviets were our allies at the time) enemy, the Nazis. We would have done better to emulate it sooner than just recently. More of our troops may have survived against the AK, if that(survival/mission accomplishment) had been given more consideration than lining pockets and redesigning the wheel.

Russia isnt my enemy. My enemies consist of asshats in washington, and those that wear hoodies and carry skittles and get handouts on the welfare line while coasting on others' accomplishments.

Im not the sort who jumps ship and claims people to be an "enemy" when in fact they are some of the more patriotic people Ive ran across. I wish more people here would take a lesson from the Russians and learn how to be a bit more patriotic, other than waving a flag around while chanting go USA.

The fact is, great men stem from all forms of governments. I guess Einstein was a nazi since he came from Germany just prior to Hitlers reign. rolleyes.gif See where this can get odd.

I just don't see where this romanticism of the man behind the rifle has come from. Einstein wasn't a Nazi, but Mikhail was a communist. He was a part of the communist party until the day he died. It seems this is lost in history. The current Russia isn't the enemy, I never said it was. But the Soviet union is/was a different story, and most certainly was our enemy. The Cold War was hot at times throughout it's history. My grandfather fought them in Korea; it wasn't just the Chinese and Koreans over there... I was pointing out the rifle was designed by a man motivated to end the lives of the Soviet Union's enemies, which happened to be us and our allies. 

He was very patriotic for his country. I respect that, and I respect his craftsmanship. He really pushed for what he believed in, which I also respect. But that's about where it ends.

RIP old soldier. It is a rest well deserved.

Actually, the weapon was designed to be used against our mutual(as the Soviets were our allies at the time) enemy, the Nazis. We would have done better to emulate it sooner than just recently. More of our troops may have survived against the AK, if that(survival/mission accomplishment) had been given more consideration than lining pockets and redesigning the wheel.

The weapon was not intended for the Nazis. He had input on other weapon systems during WW2, and designed some prior to the end of WW2, but the AK was part of a 1946 competition for a new weapon. He used components from other weapons to design the AK platform after WW2. It was for the Soviet Union's post WW2 enemies.

I just do not understand where this affinity for him as a person is coming from. I respect his works and could toast to that, but when it boils down to it, simply put: he was a communist who designed weapons during the Cold War to be used against the Soviet's enemies, which were us.

• Like 1

The weapon was not intended for the Nazis. He had input on other weapon systems during WW2, and designed some prior to the end of WW2, but the AK was part of a 1946 competition for a new weapon. He used components from other weapons to design the AK platform after WW2. It was for the Soviet Union's post WW2 enemies.

I just do not understand where this affinity for him as a person is coming from. I respect his works and could toast to that, but when it boils down to it, simply put: he was a communist who designed weapons during the Cold War to be used against the Soviet's enemies, which were us.

Well said, someone knows his history.  I'd also point out that contrary to what cold war soviet propaganda wants you to think, the AK-47 was developed by other individuals as well.