Zastava/Yugo M77 magazine. In progress

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, little update.   Follower tooling came back Friday late.. We had to run and get it right at closing time to have it over the weekend.   We have them rolling through right now, about halfway th

Saiga-12   Done Vepr-12 (design done) M77 - designing mostly complete Galil .308 (m77 based, likely to shuffle downward) Saiga .223 Catamout Fury-12 (saiga 12 based) Valmet .308 mags (low produc

We are making great progress on this project..   Metal for the body stamp plates is due in around a week. Testing has been very useful and productive, we had about 8 corrections to make and they al

• 2 weeks later...

Yep.. Had a couple of little hiccups like one tool being delayed at wire EDM.. I'll have that tomorrow.

And as usual with a first run we needed to change a few steps around.. Not really a big deal but it did mean a few late nights cutting corrections dies.. Just finished one of the most complex tools we have ever made around 11:30 PM...

I have 300 mags through the first stage of welding. I should have all 1000 through the first welding stage by about 4 pm tomorrow. I'm not liking the really high carbon alloy steel, even with the ramping program its throwing off a lot of dust.. I have the full respirator gear, so its not a huge problem.. But I can't drink coffee while I weld, which is bothersome. Normally I can get the ramping programmed right and the welding fumes are pretty much nonexistent, this stuff is just not working with our current setup.

A lot of the dust is expulsion or flash. It sprays out from the seam a pretty good distance. So there is a limit to how much just a hood can do... Its also six welder units, so the extractor has to be fairly large

Currently we are just running full face 3M 6800 masks with p100 filters as a precaution. I want to make a box that will go around the unit to get all the expulsion vapor directed into an extractor. I just need to think about how to build it for a little longer so that its easy to use.

According to the safety book the fumes are not very harmful.. But I'm going to just be a little more cautious and wear the gear.

I'm adding a few dust collectors to clean the air, as venting the building always comes at the cost of bringing in a bunch of humidity, which causes rust on tooling.

• Like 1

Respirators are miserable. Sounds like the box is well needed. It will cut down on shop noise and make it easier not to look at welding arcs as a bonus.

Welding is going on. Mark is still working on making the last of the rear lugs, I'm figuring we will be done welding mid Wednesday.

I had a little volunteer project I had to work on this morning that I forgot about.

Springs came in yesterday. Checked them out, and they fit and function. So that is good to go for awhile, we have 5,000 of them.

Ok, little update.

Follower tooling came back Friday late.. We had to run and get it right at closing time to have it over the weekend.

We have them rolling through right now, about halfway through the blanking stage that had me worried.. Had major issues getting the blanking die to eject, hateful. Finally cobbled up some polyurethane ejector springs which make about half a ton of force to eject it... At least its working now.

We are running it in the biggest press we have to keep the break through unloading to something tolerable, in the smaller press it sounded like a shotgun going off every time it sliced through.. With the big press it makes a barely audible clunk, but its really slow. My father worked out a tool that is basically a couple thin sticks to swap the part out, cut cycle time by about 30%, so back on track.. 

We hope to have the followers done late tomorrow with the entire batch of parts going to Heat treatment on Tuesday.

• Like 4
  • 2 weeks later...

$41.50 is correct. $4 increase over estimate.

We had about $10K+ in extra time and costs.. I figured $10 extra was not going to go over well, so we are going to absorb some costs and spread it out over a longer time.

• Like 1

$41.50 is correct. $4 increase over estimate.

We had about $10K+ in extra time and costs.. I figured $10 extra was not going to go over well, so we are going to absorb some costs and spread it out over a longer time.

That's a good price for a much needed magazine. The OEM mags for the M77 suck. Thanks for bringing them to market! 

• Like 1

We are getting better at high volume events.

More than 90% of the orders from Thursday and Friday have been delivered as of Monday (today) and the rest should be delivered by tomorrow... Post office did a great job on getting our stuff moved timely.

Our crew did an exceptional job. Almost 400 boxes, all packed to my semi crazy standards.. I have not received any damaged in shipping reports, so looks like we did our job.

Took three rolls of paper, 50 industrial hot melt glue sticks, and nine rolls of tape.

• Like 1

Got the magsbig_smile.gif .  All I can say is wow. Smooth polished awesomeness in a box. Seeing your first gen Saiga mags, and then through VEPR, and Saiga 12, and now to the M77, it's like evolution in progress. Are you sure you made these and didn't import themsmile.png -- they look mil spec factory awesome to me!!! How long to the 10 rounders and maybe 5's? And maybe some BHO followers and of course NDM 86 308 mags. 2015 is finally a good yearhaha.gif .

I received mine yesterday.  Wow, what quality.   I live on the West Coast and expected them by Friday, especially with the volume of orders.  To my surprise, they arrived in 2 business days.  I am not accustomed to such outstanding customer service.  I am rather a newbie to high capacity magazines for any rifle, but these appear to be of sturdy construction and they fit the rifle perfectly.  I can't wait to try them this weekend.  Thank you for offering a much desired product with excellent customer service and high quality;  attributes that are all too rare for businesses these days.  I impatiently await a 10 round and hope you consider building a 5 as well, as this rifle will also be my hunting rifle. 

We will be building 10s shortly. The 5 round will be a block kit for the 10 round, it would be far to short on its own to make using the current method. The block kit will be available both separately and pre-installed. 

• Like 1

We will be building 10s shortly. The 5 round will be a block kit for the 10 round, it would be far to short on its own to make using the current method. The block kit will be available both separately and pre-installed. 

Great.  I can't wait.  Any chance you might share a prediction of when they will be available?