Zastava/Yugo M77 magazine. In progress

I don't think its been brought up here but I have had MANY requests to make magazines for the Yugo M77.

I have in the past felt that it was out of our reach to make magazines of this type due to our past designs requiring weld on feedlips. Thanks in part to the Saiga 12 magazine project, and all the totally annoying parts we have had to make for it. We are at the point that we can probably tackle this.

Our current goal is to make the M77 magazine in a one piece body, much like the original magazines are made. We are using a few magazines to base parts off of, I don't like the factory 20rd M77 magazines for a few reasons.. They have a hurried feel to them, like the maker got mostly done with a good design and threw in the towel.. Interestingly the magazine is almost exactly the size of a Galil .308 mag, however due to the design of the Galil front catch it won't fit in the M77. So we are thinking its possible to get both rifles with the same magazine design with only a small alteration.

Some may ask why the M77 and not a PSL or .223. The main reason for this choice is that we have data on the .308 and want to try making a more economical magazine, which will allow for us to take the data and transfer it to the next design. 

We hope this is going to be a good step up in quality, while reducing costs a fair amount.

We are still working on the Saiga-12... And I am still making updates to other projects, we hope that 2014 will have four or five new product releases.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ok, little update.   Follower tooling came back Friday late.. We had to run and get it right at closing time to have it over the weekend.   We have them rolling through right now, about halfway th

Saiga-12   Done Vepr-12 (design done) M77 - designing mostly complete Galil .308 (m77 based, likely to shuffle downward) Saiga .223 Catamout Fury-12 (saiga 12 based) Valmet .308 mags (low produc

We are making great progress on this project..   Metal for the body stamp plates is due in around a week. Testing has been very useful and productive, we had about 8 corrections to make and they al

I'm sure you've considered this but it might be worth talking with Century or Zastava to find out how many have been, or will be imported.

I would hate to see you tool up for this only to find that it was a limited run.

• 1 month later...

whats the new order of things?

saiga-12

saiga .223

m77

psl

vepr 54

Saiga-12   Done

Vepr-12 (design done)

M77 - designing mostly complete

Galil .308 (m77 based, likely to shuffle downward)

Saiga .223

Catamout Fury-12 (saiga 12 based)

Valmet .308 mags (low production)

M14 mag (M77 based)

NDM 86 .308 (low production)

Vepr .223 (saiga .223 based)

The x54r magazines are open to move into the production schedule.

Airsoft/paintball Items:

Light up reactive target, for quick field sight in.

Push button objective flags with timed delays.

Ticket based spawn points with displays

Quick change team identifier patches (red/blue).

Busy year ahead.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm waiting to get some of this "super alloy" sheet metal in to test bend take up and a few other things.

Also need to get my giant press ordered. Since the M77 magazines take three times the stamping pressure of a Saiga-12 mag.. I have a small frame testing press that I can make a few on, but its not a production machine.

Adapting for the fury and vepr is the same project. They use similar alterations.

Part of the low sales is a lack of aftermarket.

The M-14 is likely to shuffle down the list farther. Mostly because the follower will need to be changed.

• 1 month later...

Hey man, curious on how your M77 experimentation is going, and if you have an estimated price point yet?

We are waiting on Steel samples.. Should be a week or two until I get them. From there its just a lot of waiting, CNC shop, first, then testing, then laser cutting wait time, then finally production.

Estimated price is $30-$35 per mag for 20s

We are working on the Vepr-12 while we are waiting on the steel.

• Like 2

I hope the M77 becomes a consistent item in the next couple years, CSSpecs could sell a whole lot of them. Zastava seems to be way more reliable than Cugir or even Izhmash/Molot, and actually make changes to the gun when American buyers have complained about certain things, e.g. serial number location.

Will there be some sort of group buy at all to get things moving?

We should be fine to get through the first batch without locking up peoples funds.. I'm already throwing enough money at the problems to have them solved. There is no fast lane on industrial orders, so its going to be as long as its going to be, and there is not much I can do to change that.

I hope the M77 becomes a consistent item in the next couple years, CSSpecs could sell a whole lot of them. Zastava seems to be way more reliable than Cugir or even Izhmash/Molot, and actually make changes to the gun when American buyers have complained about certain things, e.g. serial number location.

Yeah, I hope the addition of magazines of quality and low price will catapult the rifle into a more popular market.

I'm kinda curious if the adjustable gas block would be useful with a suppressor. I'd imagine that is what its for.

It might be interesting to ask Zastava. I have seen them directly answer customer questions from users on other forums.

I think it's odd that the full-length barreled 5.56 and 7.62x51 Serbian designs have adjustable gas ports, while none of their other models/calibers do. This leads me to think the feature is how Zastava decided to make a tradeoff to get better overall accuracy with their newer service rifle designs, versus being severely overgassed like every other major AK design is.

These rifles (and their 5.56 variant) are known for being very accurate for an AK base design, and I think this is how it's done.

Since long-range accuracy is not really a top priority in the smaller short carbine versions, this feature is just left out, and the gun is given maximum gas by default.

Being able to adjust for heavy ball ammo is also nice, and avoids the issues the PSL has about switching ammo types around without tuning.

...all speculation

• 1 month later...

You can send a note through customer service that you want to be on the contact list.

We are working on them as of Monday of this week. We had a lot of work done and are just correcting the plans by making sample strips of the magazines.. The Vepr-12 is what had us delayed. Now its completed and waiting for steel blanks.

We are making great progress on this project..

Metal for the body stamp plates is due in around a week.

Testing has been very useful and productive, we had about 8 corrections to make and they all checked out once done.

We are at a cross roads with the follower design. We have two methods to make it, one is faster and the other is cheaper.. We may just make both tool sets, since sometimes you need to go fast, and others you want to maximize profits per unit made.

Floor plate will be the same type as used on the Saiga-12, with a skirt around the front, and two up raised stampings like the AK.

Calculated weight is around 9 ounces.. 20 rd length will be very close to a M-14 or G3 mag, so they should fit in those pouches.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...