I have heard many stories arguing whether is should be:

Semi auto

Revolver (single or double action)

.44Mag

.10MM

.50 S&w

.357 ETC

Maybe your bow hunting, or deer hunting in bear country, or you in Area 51.....whatever

I started thinking....shit, I have a Sam7K and yeah 8-9lbs is heavy, but 5-75 round capability with 7.62x39 sounds nice!

Also, I can leave out the semiauto jamming bullshit...this one isnt going to jam.

So what do you think of it on a single point sling as a secondary for hunting? I read the 7.62x39 is equal to 30/30 Winchester?

That makes the ballistics chart link confusing, if so.....

http://www.ballistics101.com/7.62x39.php

Edited by Saiga Power
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you tried a cross draw? Seems like it would be less likely to come in contact with your rifle.

I used to carry my DE in .50 AE when I hunted, but it was mainly for hogs and cougars. Ive since switched over to my Glock 21. Its lighter, and holds more rounds, and I shoot it better. Its all prefer

Second firearm while hunting?   Of course you do, just like it is wise to carry a second firearm when going anywhere.   You could show your attacker, human or otherwise,  the law preventing such w

Posted Images

If you walking around the woods and junk, I'd probably go with a two point sling if this is gonna be your secondary. I've hit my manly parts more than once because of a single point lol. As far as 7.62 being effective, I have some friends that hunt with SKSs and they bag quite a bit of deer.

• Like 1

If you walking around the woods and junk, I'd probably go with a two point sling if this is gonna be your secondary. I've hit my manly parts more than once because of a single point lol. As far as 7.62 being effective, I have some friends that hunt with SKSs and they bag quite a bit of deer.

Thanks on the two point......

I hunt deer with shotgun slugs......Just wondering about larger\aggressive game that I am not hunting and may encounter in emergency situation.

Is the 7.62x39 caliber up to the task for say bear or large cat?

Edited by Saiga Power

For a mercy shot maybe.  Also if you're hunting say, in a swamp, you'll need it for the poisonous bastards you're not hunting or the crazy bore who sees you and doesn't like you.

If you're worried about justified ballistics and you're not hunting Grizzlies then .44 magnum, .45 Super, 10mm Auto will do the job.  Ted Nugent just reported on his facebook page using his 10mm to take game actually.

Around here it would be more for the occasional snake.  Most around here though are constrictors rather than vipers.

Thanks on the two point......

I hunt deer with shotgun slugs......Just wondering about larger\aggressive game that I am not hunting and may encounter in emergency situation.

Is the 7.62x39 caliber up to the task for say bear or large cat?

It is for large cat. May take a few rounds though if your shot placement isn't the best. Not sure about a bear. If you put enough lead in it, I'm sure it will work lol I would be comfortable with the 7.62x39 round. When ever I go up into the mountains, I take a Draco with me for the reasons you mentioned. It's probably not the idea round to have, but you have 30 and it's classified as a pistol.

Like all hunting laws it varies from state to state. In SC you cannot carry a pistol and a rifle unless you have a CWP open carry is against the law in SC. In NC it used to be against the law to carry a firearm when bow hunting....I quit bowhunting black bears 5 or so years ago so I haven't checked the regs lately.

I should hear back in a day or two from the game commission on the regulations (which I will post)

My biggested concern is 7.62x39 adequate.....Dont really want to spend money on at 10mm or .44 mag or 50S&W if I have what I need in my Sam7k

Of course I will own one of those other pistols in the future maybe a glock in .45acp or 10mm

I should hear back in a day or two from the game commission on the regulations (which I will post)

My biggested concern is 7.62x39 adequate.....Dont really want to spend money on at 10mm or .44 mag or 50S&W if I have what I need in my Sam7k

Of course I will own one of those other pistols in the future maybe a glock in .45acp or 10mm

I understand.  Not sure about black bear vs 7.62x39, that is a good question.  I could see it at close range dealing damage to a cat like a mountain lion.  x39 will take down a boar and they're pretty tough, go through briar bushes like cannonballs.

You can get a Glock in .45 and get a conversion barrel for 10mm and shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm with the conversion barrel and 10mm mags.

I understand.  Not sure about black bear vs 7.62x39, that is a good question.  I could see it at close range dealing damage to a cat like a mountain lion.  x39 will take down a boar and they're pretty tough, go through briar bushes like cannonballs.

You can get a Glock in .45 and get a conversion barrel for 10mm and shoot both .45 ACP and 10mm with the conversion barrel and 10mm mags.

Thats good to know....may sell of one of my optics to help fund that (Kobra Russian optic ekp-08-02 )

In Ohio it is legal to CC while hunting and while technically you may be legal, any LE that stops you may take issue which could ruin your hunt at the least. It's that "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should" kinda thing. The quickest way to ruin CC while hunting for everyone is getting stopped going overboard with it. Esp given that a rifle cartridge is more "reach out and drop something"(ie hunting?) as opposed to a heavy pistol cartridge that is more an "up close threat stopper". But as for stopping power, use SP or HP ammo. I used to hunt bear with a 30-30 and SPs. It will work to hunt, but in a charge situation, I'd rather have a harder hitting round.

But perhaps above all else, practicality comes to mind. Climbing in and out of a tree stand/blind, stalking around a mountain side, through thick brush, around a secluded lake in chest waders and then trying to carry that big buck, several ducks, a bag full of quail or a half dozen coyote hides out, that few extra pounds and bulk may prove problematic if not just tiresome.

I've hunted AZ OCing a .380 or .357mag on my hip during bow season and no one said a word. Now I'm in Ohio I CC my EDC .45 with an extra 10rnd mag. With the DTR ammo it's a light weight kit that I'm completely used to.

BTW, I've wanted to build a bullpupped pistol and CC like you suggest, but again it's not really practical and could be construed as "looking for trouble". And while Ohio is more friendly now then when I move here, I really would rather not be a test case nor give fuel to the anti-gunners insanity fire.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

If your worried about large cats... Don't bother. They will have you dead and up a tree before you can say "Oh SHIT".

Figure any firearm your using is probably going to be deployed after the first bite, so small pistol in a good holster.

If your worried about large cats... Don't bother. They will have you dead and up a tree before you can say "Oh SHIT".

Figure any firearm your using is probably going to be deployed after the first bite, so small pistol in a good holster.

Not always.. My wife's step brother was stalked by a starving bobcat while walking with his 6 YO son on his property several months back.. It was so emaciated that it was following them out in the open in daylight. They also had one cougar (again starving) once try to attack one of their horses, and the horse stomped it to death.

Big cats can act desperate when they haven't eaten in a while, up to and including attacking livestock and humans in broad daylight.

Carrying a pistol when hunting, I see is more a defense against other humans and poachers. This can depend on where you're hunting. My dad once had a guy in a 4-wheeler roll up on them and shove a shotgun right in the driver's side window because he thought they were on his property.

Have you ever read any of the books by Peter Capstick? He was a professional hunter in Africa for years, and wrote some VERY good books about his experiences! The one thing he hated to do above all else was to go after a cat in tall grass! (And this is compared to hunting all types of maneaters and rogue animals, including Nile Crocodiles and Elephants!) He had an old leather jacked he riveted steel plates into, a leather and steel neck brace (because cats usually go for the throat), and a 12-ga. shotgun.

I always carry a backup in .45 ACP when hunting. When I was still in MT, it was for Grizzly/Black Bears, Cougars, Wolves and Coyotes. Here in FL we have Black Bears, Panthers, Coyotes, and Feral Hogs. I don't think a pistol is ideal for a primary against any of these but it can help you until you can get a long gun into the fight. My Uncle in MT killed a Grizzly with a .45 ACP that visited him in a wall tent with two rounds to the head at point blank range. My brother stuck a Black Bear with an arrow, tracked him for quite a while, then came face to face with him in some thick brush. He killed it with three rounds of .40 in the chest when it stood up on its hind legs. Nothing is magic though. I have a friend along with his hunting partner that had to stop a charging Grizzly with rifles. Six rounds from .300 Win Mags, all kill shots finally stopped it.

• Like 1

Carry a sidearm for poachers. If you're doing your part, you should see all game before they see you.

MT, allow me to throw a little Florida native light on your list: Coyotes won't bother you unless you're almost dead already,

pigs will run like hell, and you will never, ever see a Florida Panther. There's like 150 alive total. Bobcat, sure, but they'll run too.

Worry about black bear on the high ground, and gators in the swamps. Maybe some rancher's pissed off bull, lol.

• Like 1

Well, almost always have a side arm, live rural with livestock, so hunting is no exception. Open carry always been legal. Some cities try to strike down, yet always get sued and dropped. Hunters locally encounter coyotes, wild dogs, bobcats and lately mountain lion. State couple years ago passed law stating sidearm caliber had to be diameter of game being hunted. So, no .22's finish pistol for deer hunters, no side arm for bow hunters or those shotgun required game. Most ignored it, and those who got charged, cases were thrown out. Local Game Wardens NEVER wrote a ticket, yet did inform a couple times the law, yet were not stupid about it. Reason, private property/self defense and 2nd amendment rights. Plus, for 6+ years CCW has been in effect. Only few idiots dumb enough to be illegal shooting game with a pistol were prosecuted. (This has always been illegal and frowned upon by legit hunters anyway). So, last spring law against side arm/caliber was repealed. It's not during the hunt, usually while field dressing deer, Lately winters have been mild, so issue usually not a factor, except a walk by predators for easy left meal. Side note, due to Fed regs. avid student hunters park on city street or private property, and not on school property. Hunt either before or after school, this tradition doesn't change due to PC crowd.

• Like 1

I used to carry my DE in .50 AE when I hunted, but it was mainly for hogs and cougars. Ive since switched over to my Glock 21. Its lighter, and holds more rounds, and I shoot it better. Its all preference on what you want to carry as a sidearm. You will get many different opinions, but should stick to what you feel comfortable with. 2 well placed shots from a .45 will be more effective than 6 shots from a .44 magnum that miss. Power really doesnt mean shit in those regards.

And I really wouldnt feel at a disadvantage with 7.62x39 with good hunting loads such as SST rounds from Hornady or something of the like.

• Like 2

Many deer (mule/white tail) are taken every year with 7.62x39, usually an SKS, some Ruger mini 14 in same caliber.  Most deer in wooded creek areas 50 to 75 yards. Lot of open sited 30/30's in our area. Usually what I carry, a trapper model. 2 does so far in early season.  About same ballistics. Son likes longer range out to 400 yard pasture/range grass shots, so uses .308. Buck and 3 does so far. Daughter buck and doe, daughter-n-law 1 doe. We process ourselves, can/ jerky or sausage all except back strap. I carry Glock 29 or 1911 45acp or 10mm. Same for duty use. Maybe next week in late season will take XDs 45.

post-3200-0-33140200-1388312484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ruffian72

I do not recommend this, for a couple reasons.  First, the slides of the 10mm Glocks are heavier than the slides of the .45ACP Glocks.  That probably won't matter much if you are shooting the 10mm "lite" loads, but for real hunting loads it's not the best idea.  Glock designed their 10mms with more weight in the slides for a reason.  Second, you may lose reliability due to the ejector block being different between .45ACP and 10mm.  Which again, is probably OK on the range, but not so good in a pistol you are counting on to protect yourself from dangerous predators. 

You can also buy a complete 10mm upper for your .45, slide and all, and replace the ejector block in the frame for a true conversion...  But by the time you have done all that, you may want to consider just buying a second pistol in 10mm.

Edited by Netpackrat
  • Like 1

The glock 20 would be the way to go, the 21 would work fine with a 22 lb. recoil spring and 10mm parts in it, but the 20 will shoot alot of calibers including, 40, 357 sig, 9x25 dillon. The 21 can do 10mm, 45 super, and 460 rowland with a conversion.

Underwood 10mm will do the job all day and do it well.There 45 acp loads are awesome as well.

Either way keith warren and his buddy have taken whitetail numerous times with glocks in 45 or 10mm with factory extended barrels, 10mm if your venturing into bear country.

Edited by dashowdy

Picking up a Glock 21 SF Gen3 in three hours/////‏

I've taken deer with the M-11/9 due to a non-field clearable jam of my shotgun.  380-400 ft/lbs is more than enough to shoot through the ribcage of a deer with a 124 gr JHP.  They'll run about 50-75 yards and drop.  Wouldn't recommend it at any range further than 50 yards.

Carry a sidearm for poachers. If you're doing your part, you should see all game before they see you.

MT, allow me to throw a little Florida native light on your list: Coyotes won't bother you unless you're almost dead already,

pigs will run like hell, and you will never, ever see a Florida Panther. There's like 150 alive total. Bobcat, sure, but they'll run too.

Worry about black bear on the high ground, and gators in the swamps. Maybe some rancher's pissed off bull, lol.

A pack of determined Coyotes can be a threat. Not all hogs run. I've had them stand their ground against a truck. Plenty of folks are hurt by the cutters on hogs. Someone local here posted a good trail cam pic of a Panther on a hunting forum. We had a momma and two cubs spotted where I work. They do exist. I'm not too concerned with Bobcats, I'm bigger than a rabbit. I grew up in bear country up north. Definitely worry about a sow with cubs.