I wouldnt trust a taurus revolver for sure. My ruger gets used a lot and also gets great care when it gets me back home. The stainless makes it very easy to keep maintained and it mechanical complications are minimal. I have always had top quality revolvers and they have never failed, not in my lifetime. Colts, smiths and rugers that are proven hardly ever fail. I did buy a big piece of shit titanium ultralight and it damn near blew up in my hands. Last time I purchased anything made in Brazil.

My 1911 is very dependable. It's too nice to schlep around in the woods while hunting but if I was crazy enough to use it for backup. I would still rather have a revolver that has proven to me over a few years that is wont fail on me. I think it's important to break them in and make certain it never fucks up.

Consider the mechanical complications that could reduce your reaction time when shifting from a safe hiking position to a firing position. Is your safety off? Grrr! That was a grizzly chomping on your skull while you decide if it's hot or not. Anyway, just me thinking a lot about it while actually deep in the bear shit.

I would feel pretty safe with an AK pistol if I were on alert carrying it in a firing position in deep bear country that stinks like bear sweat and shit. I wouldn't want to be uncovering it, swinging it or fucking around if I were hunting with another rifle and heard something creeping up on me from behind.

KISS works for me. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

I'm stupid when focused on a specific task so I need to keep things simple.

1. Draw pistol from holster.

2. Create a familiar sight picture on whatever needs to die.

3. Squeeze trigger

4. Repeat if necessary.

Things I took out of the equation were. Reposition weapon on the sling from carry to firing. Select fire on the safety of the weapon. If weapon fails perform a functions check and die waiting.

Not arguing that an auto loader wont do the job. It will. I think that if you spend a good amount of time near a bear the size of your truck and 200 lb hybrid transplant wolves you will find that you feel more LUCKY with a revolver that has proven it's value to you over time.

You feelin lucky?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you tried a cross draw? Seems like it would be less likely to come in contact with your rifle.

I used to carry my DE in .50 AE when I hunted, but it was mainly for hogs and cougars. Ive since switched over to my Glock 21. Its lighter, and holds more rounds, and I shoot it better. Its all prefer

Second firearm while hunting?   Of course you do, just like it is wise to carry a second firearm when going anywhere.   You could show your attacker, human or otherwise,  the law preventing such w

Posted Images

I wouldnt trust a taurus revolver for sure. My ruger gets used a lot and also gets great care when it gets me back home. The stainless makes it very easy to keep maintained and it mechanical complications are minimal. I have always had top quality revolvers and they have never failed, not in my lifetime. Colts, smiths and rugers that are proven hardly ever fail. I did buy a big piece of shit titanium ultralight and it damn near blew up in my hands. Last time I purchased anything made in Brazil.

My 1911 is very dependable. It's too nice to schlep around in the woods while hunting but if I was crazy enough to use it for backup. I would still rather have a revolver that has proven to me over a few years that is wont fail on me. I think it's important to break them in and make certain it never fucks up.

Consider the mechanical complications that could reduce your reaction time when shifting from a safe hiking position to a firing position. Is your safety off? Grrr! That was a grizzly chomping on your skull while you decide if it's hot or not. Anyway, just me thinking a lot about it while actually deep in the bear shit.

I would feel pretty safe with an AK pistol if I were on alert carrying it in a firing position in deep bear country that stinks like bear sweat and shit. I wouldn't want to be uncovering it, swinging it or fucking around if I were hunting with another rifle and heard something creeping up on me from behind.

KISS works for me. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

I'm stupid when focused on a specific task so I need to keep things simple.

1. Draw pistol from holster.

2. Create a familiar sight picture on whatever needs to die.

3. Squeeze trigger

4. Repeat if necessary.

Things I took out of the equation were. Reposition weapon on the sling from carry to firing. Select fire on the safety of the weapon. If weapon fails perform a functions check and die waiting.

Not arguing that an auto loader wont do the job. It will. I think that if you spend a good amount of time near a bear the size of your truck and 200 lb hybrid transplant wolves you will find that you feel more LUCKY with a revolver that has proven it's value to you over time.

You feelin lucky?

I see your point, and would like to add that regardless of what you carry, it should be readily accessible rather quickly for those "oh shit" moments.

The rare times I've gone hiking in country where there might be bears or bobcats, I used to carry my Desert Eagle, and these days carry my 8" S-12, with a slug in the chamber and four more in a 5-round mag, safety on. Never had any problems with wildlife, beyond occasionally seeing a prairie rattler in western Nebraska. Fuckers have stopped rattling since people kill all the ones who rattle.