It looks like you might have the somewhat rare die-cast gas block that was found on the very late-model Chinese Type 56 - as in mid-to-late 1980s production. If so, the gas block will have a rounded face, versus the machined slope cut found on the machined blocks. I have one with the same gas block, pinned barrel, etc.

Mine looks identical to yours except that it has no factory markings, and is a "DP" serialized model - it's speculated that the DP/DB models were produced for Pakistan and Bangladesh military, and then were either sold to the US as runoffs or part of a partial cancellation of the contract.

I picked it up for $200 in 2008, and from what I could tell it was unfired. There was zero wear on any of the moving parts, no powder residue whatsoever, chrome lining was still matte grey looking, etc.

Personally I would say, don't sell it. The return isn't good enough, and eventually the SKS is going to skyrocket in collector value because there are just not any more coming in - with rare exceptions like the import of a good amount of beat-up surplus Chinese SKS earlier this year. No "like new" ones like the one you or I have.

It's actually a shame because new SKS are still being produced by Zastava and Molot, but for whatever reason are unable/unwilling to import.

Edited by mancat

It is in top condition....no flaws I can notice and the preban drums are hard to come by

Just another one of my issues where I want to add something that I will use (potentially more), but dont have money to have both due to those damn bills

Another view....

Closer view

post-22193-0-45176000-1388248980_thumb.jpg

post-22193-0-15761000-1388249272_thumb.jpg

while the drum is cool, shooting the SKS can be a way to force yourself to conserve ammo. loading up stripper clips of x39 takes time, and you don't really feel like blasting it away when you only have ten rounds in the built-in box mag. at least this is my experience. I tend to use a lot less when shooting the SKS.

I got the drum as a rarity\novelty.  Not something I would blow off at the range, but a "nice touch"

I know very little about SKS "history" or "types" or "values"

I just know I got a nice looking one.....

It looks like you might have the somewhat rare die-cast gas block that was found on the very late-model Chinese Type 56 - as in mid-to-late 1980s production. If so, the gas block will have a rounded face, versus the machined slope cut found on the machined blocks. I have one with the same gas block, pinned barrel, etc.

Mine looks identical to yours except that it has no factory markings, and is a "DP" serialized model - it's speculated that the DP/DB models were produced for Pakistan and Bangladesh military, and then were either sold to the US as runoffs or part of a partial cancellation of the contract.

I'm wondering if you can post a pic of what you're talking about. I, too, have one in stellar condition that I haven't been able to date. The only marks are all matching numbers, the importers stamp, and "MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO". The gas block certainly looks cast, then cleaned up on a grinder to me. Not sure.

post-23857-0-86974100-1388272819_thumb.jpg

post-23857-0-18797700-1388272846_thumb.jpg

Pretty sure yours is the machined gas block. I think the Chinese welded the sling loop on and cleaned it up.

If you look at Saiga Power's last pic, you can see that the top portion of his gas block has a rounded face on it, whereas yours has a sloped machining cut. The rounded face gas blocks are supposedly the die-cast blocks.

It doesn't really make a difference either way - just a unique late-model feature