Today i was shooting my Saiga 12 first time.

I had some problems and need help.

I used Sellier & Bellot Special Sport Slug 2 5/8 in (67,5mm) and the shotgun jammed at each bullet. The empty shell jammed. (30 Bullets were shot. Everyone jammed)

Then i used Sellier&Bellot Birdshot and Sellier & Bellot Rubberball (both in 2 5/8 in (67,5mm) an the gun just didn`t repeat. I had to repeat itself.

With S&B Buckshot 2 3/4 in (70mm) Everything was fine.

Im sure i tried both gas-settings.

Can anyone help me please?

You aren't doing anything wrong, sounds like your S-12 is under gassed.  Have you checked your gas ports?  We're looking for # of ports, their size, if any are obstructed by the gas block, and quiet possibly are they drilled properly.  Mine were undersized and two were not completely drilled through.  

If it hasn't been worked on I'm not surprised that it doesn't cycle on the birdshot and rubberball.  That special sport slug is 3 1/2 dram.  It shouldn't have any issues ejecting it.  Under gassed S-12's have a tendency to shoot slug and buck just fine.   

You aren't doing anything wrong, sounds like your S-12 is under gassed.  Have you checked your gas ports?  We're looking for # of ports, their size, if any are obstructed by the gas block, and quiet possibly are they drilled properly.  Mine were undersized and two were not completely drilled through.  

If it hasn't been worked on I'm not surprised that it doesn't cycle on the birdshot and rubberball.  That special sport slug is 3 1/2 dram.  It shouldn't have any issues ejecting it.  Under gassed S-12's have a tendency to shoot slug and buck just fine.   

Its a new Saiga from stock. Never used before. So i think it has 3 Ports?

What should i do?

What should i do?

First start out by unscrewing the plug and checking out the ports.  You'll be able to get an idea of how many ports you have.  Next you should remove the gas block.  You won't know for sure what's going on until that thing comes off.

Actually the first thing you should do is some research on the forum here.  I'll try to help out more but the day is getting busy.

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter

What should i do?

First start out by unscrewing the plug and checking out the ports.  You'll be able to get an idea of how many ports you have.  Next you should remove the gas block.  You won't know for sure what's going on until that thing comes off.

Actually the first thing you should do is some research on the forum here.  I'll try to help out more but the day is getting busy.

I just looked and my Saiga have 4 manufactured Gas Ports

4-ports, just like mine.  Now find a wire just under the diameter of the ports.  Bend it and thread it through each hole.  You are checking if each hole has been drilled properly.   Don't use a paper clip!  I did and I was able to feed it through.  A paper clip isn't a large enough diameter.

Another thing to think about is your ports are probably undersized.  I believe 4-ports should be drilled to .093" but confirm that before following through.

Google both terms in the same search...  "drill gas ports" "forum.saiga-12.com"

I hope your handy with tools, you may have to open those ports.

What should i do?

I just looked and my Saiga have 4 manufactured Gas Ports

Before you start pulling off the gas block and drilling out ports, read some of the stickys in the tech section. There is a lot of information and things to look for before drilling ports. The first think I would do is get a bore light and dental pick or bent paper clip and check that it will pass through all of the ports. You can do this will the gas block on. Your issue may be as simple as having a blocked gas port. Read, read, and read some more. Make sure you have a good understanding of how the gun cycles, and what the potential limiting factors are. In short it comes down to having enough gas to overcome friction of the bolt carrier cycling. I would do this before pulling the gas block and drilling. You will learn a lot about your gun in the process.

I agree that you should read up on past threads that discuss these issues for a broader understanding on how to get your gun running reliably. If you get your answers only from recent threads you will only get a narrow set of answers. When this place was really roaring with activity and debate from experienced S12 guys a lot of good info was put out on this board.

Rubber buckshot will almost never cycle a semi auto. It doesn't have much mass... We also don't know the mass and velocity of the other slug, but it sounds like a low recoil type.

Don't be so hasty to say he has every thing in line and to drill. It sounds very likely to me that his ammo is not up to par.

• Like 1

Don't be so hasty to say he has every thing in line and to drill. It sounds very likely to me that his ammo is not up to par.

Just for the record, I did not tell him to drill his ports.  I told him to inspect his ports and to do research into drilling.  Starting with post #7 members have mistaken my advice.  Possibly that's miscommunication on my part.  My intention was to have the OP look and verify what's going on with his gas system.

And yes, I have been in the exact same position as the OP.  I never properly diagnosed my build as having obstructed gas ports until I took the gas block off and had full access to them.   

If I am correct that S&B sport slug is a 1 oz slug with a muzzle velocity of 1345 fps.  That's 3 1/2 DRAM.  His build should be eating that and spitting it out all day!  I'm thinking something's amiss, but that's just my 2 cents...

Edited by HighPlainsDrifter