EAA Saiga 12 Sight Suggestions?

I have a early EAA import Saiga 12. Any sight suggestion? And how do I remove what I have. See crappy pics. I 'm thinking The rear will drift off and the front unscrews? How do I unscrew without trashing the threads? Thanks!

post-23279-51969_thumb.jpg

post-23279-34541_thumb.jpg

post-23279-23661_thumb.jpg

Edited by john1969

What you have is an IZ-108. It came with an adjustable rib sight.

The front stud is threaded for the adjustment wheel (or used to be it's hard to tell from the blurry pic if someone has ground it down but that's what it looks like to me).

At this point if it has been ground down & threads gone your only real choice is to cut/ grind/ file it down even with the GB and either get a set of Krebs, CSS, or Russian sights from Rusmilitary, or drill & tap it for a sight pin of your choice & replace the rear rib support with a standard notch or make one from that. Or you can drill & tap the GB and get an aftermarket rail to go on top of the gas tube. I used to make them but lost my connection for the rail blanks I was getting but ultimak may still have em...

You could also make the front sight more visible until you resolve which direction you want to go with.

I have this same front sight..are you guys saying I can unscrew this and replace it?

I like how you made your sight more visible. What did you use...plastidip?

No. I had some straight pins in my sewing kit and thought the heads were too small so I dug around and found some quilting pins which had a substantially larger head. I chucked the pin in my cordless drill after putting a piece of masking tape on it for a better grasp since I have large hands and the head is round and smooth. after turning out the pin, I started reaming out the hole gradually until the diameter was close, being extra careful not to go in too far because  the size of the head doesn't leave much room for error. I have some micro drill bits from when I model and marked the bits so I knew when I was getting close. It sounds time consuming but it just involves patience since I knew the bead would really stand out on most backgrounds and the time was well worth it. I botched one and started over, but the second one would make me more careful. I also had a diamond bit set of different heads from Harbor Freight that made smoothing the inside of the head easier.  I finally got the correct depth and diameter to fit it over the brass bead. Once I had it so it was centered, I used some slow setting gel super glue so I could move it if necessary checking  the sight alignment before it set. I considered a white bead as most would, but found the yellow really stands out against most backgrounds and best of all your eye is drawn to the color when you shoulder quickly. It works great on clays. I should have made up a batch but only did two for both of my S12s. If it ever comes off I'll make up a bunch. WalMart has the quilting pins and I bought a box of yellow for a couple dollars. Lots of extras if you goof like I did, but a lifetime supply if you don't go to optics.