CAI converted/buttstock issues

Hello, I'm attempting to navigate the wealth of information regarding Saiga mods, and have come up against an issue I can't resolve.  I searched the forums here and elsewhere extensively and couldn't find the answer.

platform=CAI converted (no canted sight or magwell issues!) Saiga 7.62x39, trigger group is 3" from the rear of the receiver

desired result=collapsible stock (preferably Magpul)

problem=the screw positions do not line up with standard AK stocks

I'm aware of the ACE conversion options that let you use AR-style buffer tubes, and also of the VLTOR style tubes, but none of my research addressed irregularities in the screw positions (on the tang and receiver).  I attempted to fit a standard AK stock onto the Saiga and the screws did not line up, therefore I assume that the VLTOR style bolt-on tube would fit incorrectly as well.  I would like to resolve this without having to use a pignose adapter, etc

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter; thanks a lot!

platform=CAI converted (no canted sight or magwell issues!) Saiga 7.62x39, trigger group is 3" from the rear of the receiver

desired result=collapsible stock (preferably Magpul)

problem=the screw positions do not line up with standard AK stocks

I'm aware of the ACE conversion options that let you use AR-style buffer tubes, and also of the VLTOR style tubes, but none of my research addressed irregularities in the screw positions (on the tang and receiver).  I attempted to fit a standard AK stock onto the Saiga and the screws did not line up, therefore I assume that the VLTOR style bolt-on tube would fit incorrectly as well.  I would like to resolve this without having to use a pignose adapter, etc

I'd appreciate any advice on the matter; thanks a lot!

Are there plugs in the rear of the receiver, near the bottom, where the trigger pins used to be? See HERE. You can see in the picture, that the end of the stock is showing through the hole on the left. If a plug is there, and it protrudes through the hole into the receiver, then the stock can't go past that point, and you can see that it's just enough so that the mounting holes don't line up correctly. I'd rule that out before moving on.

Edited by Inebriated

Interesting!  There are indeed plugs in the receiver on those points, and they do protrude.  Hopefully that is the only problem!  Thanks very much; I'll see if addressing that resolves the fit.

Do you know what the most effective way of removing those plugs is? 

Edited by Padrooga

No problem. Easiest way to see if they're the issue is to just pop the topcover off, and put the stock in. If it butts up against the plugs, then there's your issue. Just remove some material from the stock until it fits.

Hope that helps, and good luck!

Edited by Inebriated

Ok, solved this...weirdly enough it had nothing to do with those plugs.  The stock I'd been trying to fit on there (a Tapco) was the outlier.  The screw holes were drilled in awkward positions.  I just fitted a different stock and it worked perfectly...I feel kind of lame for not trying this in the first place.  Eh, troubleshooting.  Sometimes the answer is painfully obvious!  I'll keep the pesky plugs in mind in case they create any future complications. 

I bought a used Century conversion last winter. Pretty nice compared to the Century horror stories I've heard. I gave few questions for a fellow Century Saiga owner. Did they weld the bullet guide on your rifle? Did they put rivets in the holes left over after the conversion?. Thanks

Edited by im_n2_vws

Rivets yes, welded bullet guide no.  I made sure to check for common CAI issues like shoddy magwell edges etc...it's a nice rifle.  Some Bulgarian mags don't snap in very well. 

Yeah, I'm sure that a proportionate number of flaws is normal, but generally I'll still choose a seller with 99% positive feedback/1500 ratings rather than 90% positive/500 ratings.  I just really wanted a Saiga and there she was.  happy.png

Got a Vltor on the way, next...*eyes the welded front sight*  It's time to get threading. 

This is completely a side note, but I'm very curious about the rough stippling left on the receiver in a rectangular block (left side).  I'm sure Century obscured some markings but all of the other factory Izhmash details are on there still. 

Edited by Padrooga

This is completely a side note, but I'm very curious about the rough stippling left on the receiver in a rectangular block (left side).  I'm sure Century obscured some markings but all of the other factory Izhmash details are on there still. 

That's where the old importer name has been etched out. If it annoys you it's not difficult to sand out, filler-prime, re-sand and paint to get rid of it.

I bought a used Century conversion last winter. Pretty nice compared to the Century horror stories I've heard. I gave few questions for a fellow Century Saiga owner. Did they weld the bullet guide on your rifle? Did they put rivets in the holes left over after the conversion?. Thanks

Ok I take that back.  I was not looking when I answered about the bullet guide earlier.  Yeah, it's welded on. 

Didn't know if welding the guide in was normal for them or they broke off the tap and then welded it. I got mine from a guy at work that needed rent money. He offered it to me during the scare last winter for $450. I told him he could make more if he advertised it on the net. He said he didn't have time, he needed rent money today. I have had guys offer me quite a bit more than what I paid for it. But once I changed out the gas tube and put on an ak hand guard I fell in love with it.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv9983%3Dot%3E%3B6%3B8%3D46%3C%3D345%3DXROQDF%3E263656877%3B254ot1lsi

Edited by im_n2_vws

Good buy!  It's hard not to get attached to.  I'm thinking about changing out the gas tube/hand guard as well but I have no problem with the appearance, just handicapped modularity.  I really feel that a comp is the next most essential thing though.  Did you have threads?  I'm still not 100% on how to tell but I get the feeling most of the imports don't have em. 

Nice window mag.  Hogue grip?  The purchase is good but I love Magpul. 

Yeah...the FSB is on there.  I was trying to research ways to tell visually without cutting the shroud so I didn't have to buy the die unless it was necessary.  Looks pretty inevitable though.  I guess it's a fluke if you actually have them.

Mine had threads under there, just took a hack saw and worked my way slowly around it. I'm removing the FSB and the gas block and installing Bulgarian AK74 anyway. I checked the year of and it's an 09, just in case yours is the same. The folding stock didn't come with it. The mag is a Bulgarian training mag.

Edited by im_n2_vws

Mine had threads under there, just took a hack saw and worked my way slowly around it. I'm removing the FSB and the gas block and installing Bulgarian AK74 anyway. I checked the year of and it's an 09, just in case yours is the same. The folding stock didn't come with it. The mag is a Bulgarian training mag.

Really?  Awesome!  I'll check the year; thank you. 

That is a cool buffer tube conversion; I like the VLTOR cause they have a quality product, and it's milspec. 

platform=CAI converted (no canted sight or magwell issues!)

CAI converted Saigas do not typically have issues with the magwell (since Saigas have double-stack magwells that don't have to be machined out), and canted sights are not common (since Izhmash is a quality manufacturer). 

You are probably thinking about the Romanian WASRs.

Edited by Fishbed77