New Year, new build 1911

More of a rebuild or finish build of a 1911 I started a few years ago. Don’t remember how long ago but I bought 2 Essex frames. Built a 45acp on one and a 22lr on the other, with the plan of getting the same stuff on both, came close but no cigar. Both worked fine and are OK but they were never really what I wanted. So I’m getting rid of the 45 and redoing the 22 to also be a 45.

On the 1st 45 I went with a Kart barrel, good barrel got it fitted well and it shoots great. Problem is it has a very tight chamber and is pretty damn picky about my reloads being seated just right.

For this build going with a 6” Roto barrel from Sarco so some is sticking out to be ported. Not building a bullseye gun here just a blaster.

The slide I used 1st time was a Armscor one that looked pretty good but was rough as a cob on the inside and the forward serrations seem a little rough on the holster lining.

Got a Para Ordnance slide coming without forward serrations.

After I get the upper done I’ll look at the stuff I want to change on the frame / trigger. I have been giving the bobtail thing some thought but that’s a little more down the road.

Here’s the old one and a shot of the new slide:

Life’s too short to fish with a dead cricket or shoot with a gun you’re not completely happy with.

post-26137-0-42732600-1388682828.jpg

post-26137-0-71446500-1388682840_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor

Doc, I like the sight on that shot of the old one. How was the sight picture on that one? Any color on the front sight? Yellow has been

my choice as of late because it seems to stand out more than the white I was used to. If the bobtail issue comes up, you should do it

when you're ready. I've had to have a couple of mine redone with the arched main spring housing as the flat "straight style bites into mybeefy paw. I handled a couple of the bobbed ones last few gun shows and I really do like them.

no color on the sight just black, in the past I'd paint them with hot pink fingernail polish.

I need to go get a grip on a bobtail one before I get too far on that plan I've never held one yet. I've got small hands so grip reduction is something I look for.

the parts I ordered are going to get here Monday from what UPS tells me so I'll have a better understanding then of what lies ahead fitting the frame, slide, and barrel this time. until I'm done I'm holding on to the old 45.

All things are not usually equal in the world of 1911 parts even from the same manufactures.

As stated I have 2 Essex frames but when I did the 1st set up of one in 45 and one in 22 I found the 22 kit fit one with nothing needed and the slide stop wouldn’t go into the other frame with the 22 kit on it.

The Armscor slide used on the 45 one required a lot of time with a slide rail file to fit the frame and then I had to have the surface built up with a tape welder on the bottom area where the disconnector from the frame hits to make it work.

The Para-Ordnance slide and 45ACP Roto 6” barrel I ordered came.

After playing with the parts for a while to test what fit better with what I put the old Kart barrel in the Para slide and the Roto 6 in the old Armscor slide.

Both combos went together without much fitting needed with that set up and went bang in both cases when fired.

Biggest problem was the Para slide is an 80s style that I had to get the firing pin block out of the use with the tightest firing pin stop to get out I’ve ever seen.

I did have to smooth back the Roto barrels feed area a little. The 1st tries the 2nd shot jammed up with a smiley face on the bullet even with round nose bullets. Now it feeds even my usual very short SWCs fine. I figure I can get 3 ports on the inch sticking out. I haven't checked accuracy yet on either gun just fired a few shots with a couple of different type loads to test function.

There is a little more polishing and fitting to be done but I’d label this one a success for now.

Did a little shooting with them this weekend. Found there are still a couple of things that need some more work. One thing was the old slide and the cheaper Roto barrel seem to shoot a better group and eat the reloads better than the new slide and Kart barrel.

post-26137-0-65462000-1389794202_thumb.jpg

post-26137-0-50709200-1389794252_thumb.jpg

Edited by the 4th Doctor