Prior to the metamorphosis... 

IMG_8007.jpg

And now, the beautiful butterfly

IMG_8020.jpg

Just thought some people might be interesting in seeing something other than the stock photos on Arsenal's website. The triangle folder K-var sells works like a charm. Almost too tight at first, but after working it a few times, it's feeling identical to the stock on my 106CR, which I was highly impressed by. I'll answer any questions anybody has.

• Like 1

Nice. I didnt even see these for sale until they were sold out. sad.png Are you going to SBR this thing?

I am, only God and Kalashnikov know whether or not it's going to keyhole.

I've got my foot in the door for a Bluejack V6 just in case it has to be rebarreled. 

Nice. I didnt even see these for sale until they were sold out. sad.png Are you going to SBR this thing?

Where the hell have you been? ;-)

000.gif  Ive been around, but obviously not in the right places. cool.png

I am, only God and Kalashnikov know whether or not it's going to keyhole.

I've got my foot in the door for a Bluejack V6 just in case it has to be rebarreled. 

That was my next concern. Keep us posted on the progress and post up some pics of the afterparty. Im curious to see if it will keyhole and how bad. I wish you luck, as thats a badass rifle. beer.gif

• Like 1

sim_player its because the 16" barrel has a different twist than the shorter tube. so when you cut it down you get a slower twist than ideal and sometimes you have problems stabilizing the bullet 

Yeah, instead of it being a 1:7.68, it should be 1:6.3 I believe, or close to that nature. Its not just for stabilized projectiles, but it also aids in keeping velocities above a certain level to still be able to effectively engage targets at a 300yd. range.

Yea id be curious to know how well these are when cut down

I'm going to cut it down first, I'm not afraid to botch the barrel. Since the barrel would be terribly incorrect dimensions for a full size 74 build, it would only ever be useful for other 16" Krinkov builds. I'll just cut it down and put it on paper and hope it doesn't shoot in morse code biggrin.png Wish me luck.

So uh. Mark your calendar. Try to lurk this forum about... just less than a year from now sad.png

ayjw.jpg

y1p8.jpg

edited to add new pictures

Edited by Talmadge
  • 3 weeks later...

You gun will not keyhole when you cut it down. The misinformation going around about the ROT needing to be less than roughly 1:8 is just that, misinformation. The couple instances where it was reported were more of an issue of the build itself or the barrel specs. There were even reports of Blujack barrels that exhibited keyholing. The 1:6.3 ROT was utilized by the Russians with the thought that it would further stabilize the projectile, it in fact did not but they just left it as is. 1:8 will work fine with 49-70 grain bullets. The below Tula '86 has a virgin East German barrel that has a slightly less than 1:8 and shoots nice little round holes from 50-325M. with 53-69gr. ammo. Keep in mind very fast twists can actually destabilize light bullets by shedding their jackets and this also has been attributed to some of the keyhole issues especially with the faster twist rates. The original M16 barrels were 1:14 for just that reason.

IMG_0387_zpsace91237.jpg

Oh, and do not use windex (with ammonia) to neutralize mercuric salts. You are correct, warm or hot water is all you need. Dawn dishsoap in the hot water even more so will aid in grease removal as well as neutralization. You can also use 50/50 Ballistol, when the H2O evaporates it leaves behind a protective film. 

Ammonia reacts negatively with chromium, the kind your barrel/chamber is lined with. Perhaps this is why you still had rust issues.

You gun will not keyhole when you cut it down. The misinformation going around about the ROT needing to be less than roughly 1:8 is just that, misinformation. The couple instances where it was reported were more of an issue of the build itself or the barrel specs. There were even reports of Blujack barrels that exhibited keyholing. The 1:6.3 ROT was utilized by the Russians with the thought that it would further stabilize the projectile, it in fact did not but they just left it as is. 1:8 will work fine with 49-70 grain bullets. The below Tula '86 has a virgin East German barrel that has a slightly less than 1:8 and shoots nice little round holes from 50-325M. with 53-69gr. ammo. Keep in mind very fast twists can actually destabilize light bullets by shedding their jackets and this also has been attributed to some of the keyhole issues especially with the faster twist rates. The original M16 barrels were 1:14 for just that reason.

IMG_0387_zpsace91237.jpg

Good looking krink there. I'm very relieved to hear of someone else who has had success with 8.5" 1:8 barrels. I guess the question now is whether or not I cut it down myself, or have someone else cut it down who is experienced. All the youtube tutorials I've watched make it seem like a simple task, but I'm not quite convinced.

• 2 weeks later...

Whether keyholing will occur or it wont, is debatable assuming the cut and crown are done properly.  Im more curious for the reasoning behind the Russians having the faster twist on the shorter barrels. I think it may have a lot to do with subsonic ammo use. After shooting 3 different krinks over the years, a shitty build can fuck shit up. Ive shot one  shitty krink build that was very ammo specific, and the other two ate everything. Just take your gun to a reputable smith to crown it properly.

I've looked at the pistol versions of the 106 at a gun show  and where they cut the barrel isn't where you think it would be, flush with the FSB.  they cut it even with the "bell" on the muzzle attachment. now I'm not telling you that you should cut your there, but the Bulgarians must have had a  reason why they cut the barrel there on their 106 pistol version, that would make the barrel like 9.5 inches or there abouts, rather then 8 inches.

given that both the 5.45 and 5.56 barrels have the same twist, 1:7, and if you look at the weight of the bullet, 53 and 55 gr.  makes you wonder

in any event, that is where I am going to cut the barrel on my 106UR, sometime in Nov. when my form 1 should be back

I'm not going to change out the stock and handguards on my 106. I already have a 74U in that configuration, I'm going to keep the 106 as it is.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Super nice.. I built an R guns Krink kit that came out real nice.  I don't remember if the barrel came with the kit or

I bought the barrel from them. My first outing was a disaster. Key holed every other round. Was going to change

the barrel but tried a different crown first. Just a gamble but it fixed my whole problem. used the same surplus

ammo and it worked great. My smith tried a flat style crown, not sure if  90*. Good luck with yours. its a beautiful

gun.

I've looked at the pistol versions of the 106 at a gun show  and where they cut the barrel isn't where you think it would be, flush with the FSB.  they cut it even with the "bell" on the muzzle attachment. now I'm not telling you that you should cut your there, but the Bulgarians must have had a  reason why they cut the barrel there on their 106 pistol version, that would make the barrel like 9.5 inches or there abouts, rather then 8 inches.

Very interesting, I did not know they did that. I have considered leaving an extra inch of barrel hiding inside the bell to squeeze a little bit of extra stabilization out of the bullet before it exits the muzzle. Not sure how that would effect the muzzle flash.

Super nice.. I built an R guns Krink kit that came out real nice.  I don't remember if the barrel came with the kit or

I bought the barrel from them. My first outing was a disaster. Key holed every other round. Was going to change

the barrel but tried a different crown first. Just a gamble but it fixed my whole problem. used the same surplus

ammo and it worked great. My smith tried a flat style crown, not sure if  90*. Good luck with yours. its a beautiful

gun.

Another interesting anecdote, and it seems to help confirm the theories that keyholing in Krinkovs is more dependent on a proper crown rather than the twist rate of the barrel. Someone on akfiles told me that I can have a gunsmith cut down my barrel for me on a form 1. I think that's what I'll do. Hopefully it won't cost too much.

ETA: Forgot to mention, my Form 1 for this gun has been in for about a week now. I e-filed it so the wait should be about 3-4 months. If you need me, I'll be watching paint dry.

Edited by Talmadge

Very interesting, I did not know they did that. I have considered leaving an extra inch of barrel hiding inside the bell to squeeze a little bit of extra stabilization out of the bullet before it exits the muzzle. Not sure how that would effect the muzzle flash.

I have a SBR 74U I had built back in 04 with the original 8 in barrel, it gives out a huge muzzle flash, so regardless if you cut it 8 or 9 inches you're going to get it.  the muzzle attachment is no way a flash suppressor, it's more of a booster.  

as for the crowning of the barrel, there is a gun show this weekend, if the dealer still has the 106 pistol I will relay to you on monday how the Bulgarians  cut the barrel, flat or  crowned with a champher around the muzzle

I have a SBR 74U I had built back in 04 with the original 8 in barrel, it gives out a huge muzzle flash, so regardless if you cut it 8 or 9 inches you're going to get it.  the muzzle attachment is no way a flash suppressor, it's more of a booster.  

as for the crowning of the barrel, there is a gun show this weekend, if the dealer still has the 106 pistol I will relay to you on monday how the Bulgarians  cut the barrel, flat or  crowned with a champher around the muzzle

I would certainly appreciate that, whitetrashrn said that his gunsmith recrowned his barrel to 90 degrees and he had success with that, so I would definitely be curious about how they do the 106's from the factory.

This is because the SLR-106 pistol has a pinned fake booster that does nothing. Why? No idea - probably export legalities. The FSB should be replaced with the threaded version and the barrel cut to be flush with the FSB end cap.

• 3 weeks later...