Nice, and welcome to RPK'n.

I'm guessing it's not the chromed barrel(but could be wrong). There for a bit, Yugos were almost as popular as the Romys. But haven't seen as many around lately. Are both drums top loaders?

i have been told yugos are pretty rare .. compared to the romanian...

Somewhat... Outside of home kit builds and some small quantity contracted US re-manufacture runs, the M72 was never as readily available as the Romy AES-10B.

It would be cool if Zastava could build and export some new ones, but I don't see it happening. It seems that only serious AK fans have ever really had a desire to have an RPK, so I don't think demand is all that great.

Like other 7.62x39 Yugo AKs, none of the M72s ever had a chromed barrel. I don't know that any US manufactures have done custom Yugo RPK barrels with chrome lining, but there may be some out there.

Hopefully your Yugo RPK is as accurate as some of the others out there. While not technically a DMR, the heavy, long barrel really helps a lot. Mine gives great groups and doesn't seem to spread at all as it heats up. I would totally trust it to be a reliable and accurate DMR type rifle for anywhere within 300 yards. I rarely sling mass amounts of lead with mine.

Edited by mancat

I have 1 rommy top loader.. and 2 china copys.. its the tugo kit on american barrel and american receiver... no its not chrome lined and its a century buile. One of the best builds I have ever seen by them all thought they didn't do most the work lol. Its pretty damn accurate and it was brand new in a box. Kid paid $1500 for it when shit hit the fan and he lost his ass on it lol. I love it.. real clean nice gun with polished internals. Itll spit em as fast as I click the trig. Being that ita a RPK.. thicker barrel and the fact most 7.62 has non corrosive primers it really want hurt mich. The barrel will last a few life times..

• 3 weeks later...

Nice thing about the RPKs is they cab be used to either lay down cover fire or as a mid range DMR like the Tobuk but incorporating the heavy barrel for better accuracy. Make a list of ammo shot for accuracy and stock up on what it likes best as well.

Will do. Its a green mountain barrel and chrome lined really doesn't mean anything in todays world of aks because most the ammo is not corrosive. I am going to mess with it saturday and see what kind groups I can hold.. I was offered a wasr and m92 for it but turned itdown. Love this thing way to much. Unless someone offered a milled arsenal... I'm keeping it lol

The chrome lining is not just to prevent fouling/corrosion. A chrome-lined barrel is more resistant to long-term wear, especially when overheated. For this reason I would be gentle on the mag dumps. It will probably still outlast you no matter what, but there have been complaints here and there about Green Mountain barrels being "soft."