Carolina Shooters Supply "AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE "UNIVERSAL&

EDIT:  The title of the post was too long.  The name of the product in question is...

"AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE "UNIVERSAL" FOR ALL SAIGA SHOTGUNS, RIFLES & AK 47'S"

Does anybody have experience with these?   They are no longer on the website, so I hope it wasn't because they had problems.   It's different from other plates that I have seen and does not reach back to the safety lever, but rather slides forward onto the front pin and lowers down over the rear.

I bought one back in July and just got around to installing it after seeing seeing the funky looking retainer that came in the shotgun.   I'm familiar with the standard shepherds crook that comes on regular AKs but what I found in the S12 was different.   Is the pin shown below standard S12 or something that KVAR came up with?

Anyway, the CSS plate I mentioned seems to fit well but the hammer spring does rub it a little bit.  It held up to hitting the pins lightly with a punch and 100 rounds or so without working loose, but the fact that they don't sell it anymore has me wondering if they ran into problems.  I'm a little concerned that it could walk out since it's not held in place by the safety.

I'd love to hear from anyone that has tried these on an S12.

CSS, if you are reading this, why was this plate discontinued?

Here are the pics of the universal plate and the original wire retainer that KVAR installed.

post-47428-0-85704600-1389025802_thumb.jpg

post-47428-0-64480700-1389025806.jpg

Edited by SGL

The retainer at the bottom looks like a common Saiga .308 axis pin retainer. They work great and are easy to install. I haven't seen that particular CSS plate before but it looks like a solid design. Either one is easier than the RSA plate to deal with because you don't need to notch the BHO so you can get the selector in last.

Can't respond to how they do in an S-12, but I have installed two of these CSS Axis pin retaining plates; one in my Saiga IZ-240 rifle, and the other in a 5.56 Galil.  They worked terrifically.  Such is my personal experience.

Discontinued due to lack of sales. There are many products we are currently phasing out due to lack of sales. Most products we make require and investment of 500-1000 at a time and things sitting on the shelf collecting dust do not pay the bills.

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't due to returns or reports of problems.   I really like how easy it is to install and take out.

It sounds like Garnaz had an issue with his, but there are also good reports here.  I'll leave it in for now and see how it does.

I put one in my VEPR 308 so that I could get the safety to fit. It popped out after a couple rounds because I didn't push it in real good. I made sure I got it set after I cleared the jam. Make sure it pops down into the groove. No issues since then but I do wonder if individual clips would work better.

I put one in my VEPR 308 so that I could get the safety to fit. It popped out after a couple rounds because I didn't push it in real good. I made sure I got it set after I cleared the jam. Make sure it pops down into the groove. No issues since then but I do wonder if individual clips would work better.

Yes, one needs to apply firm downward pressure onto it until it essential "snaps" into place.

Perhaps failure to perform this little measure is where other folks have had negative experience with this handy pin retaining plate?

• 3 weeks later...