Greetings Gents

I'm interested in a Vepr but the full stock on it seems kind of cheap.  Is there anyone who makes aftermarket stock for them?  Also, it's my understanding that the Vepr is based on the RPK, so I'm assuming any RPK stock will fit on it?

Also, how big of a difference between a Saiga and Vepr fore grips?  I know they are a little different but can a Saiga fore grip be modified to fit a a Vepr and visa versa?

It seems that there are more accessories for the Saiga than the Vepr.  Just wondering how difficult it would be to modify AK or Saiga parts to the Vepr.

Also it seems that most people prefer the Vepr over the Saiga.  Can you explain why?

Thanks

Don't know about newer model Vepr's, yet one's imported by Robinson Arms had very fine detail to quality, built heavier due to RPK (milled) Receiver/components. Back of receiver is angled. Ace Ltd, and believe others now make a receiver block that allows use of about any kind of modern butt stock. Have 2 Kreb's built KTR-03's, 1 Saiga, 1 Vepr. 7.62x39. Not a lot of difference, both very accurate. Until recent newer imports,  Veprs were rare, so most after market didn't build for Vepr difference's and customization is required for add on's. Also had a Vepr and Saiga 308's built Identical by Red Jacket in Saiga07/Vepr09 (accept Saiga mags before Csspec made 20 rders) when they still did order way you want it. So have had built and fired both manufacturers side by side in 2 calibers, not much difference in a quality build. Vepr just is heavier, more of a solid feel. Pick up in dark, you can tell difference of which one you got. Rarity and detail to quality before by Robinson's imports made them unique. Remember there are RPK's made from stamped receivers. Vepr is milled receiver. Vepr's use to be like Mitchell Arms are now, rare and not imported in mass quantity. So, which one, Krebs/Vepr in 7.62x39, and Red Jacket/Saiga in .308. Just personal preference.

Greetings Gents

I'm interested in a Vepr but the full stock on it seems kind of cheap.  Is there anyone who makes aftermarket stock for them?  Also, it's my understanding that the Vepr is based on the RPK, so I'm assuming any RPK stock will fit on it?

Also, how big of a difference between a Saiga and Vepr fore grips?  I know they are a little different but can a Saiga fore grip be modified to fit a a Vepr and visa versa?

It seems that there are more accessories for the Saiga than the Vepr.  Just wondering how difficult it would be to modify AK or Saiga parts to the Vepr.

Also it seems that most people prefer the Vepr over the Saiga.  Can you explain why?

Thanks

Vepr's are stamped receivers following RPK specs. They have more in common with the RPK than they do other Kalashnikov's. Basically, a strait cut Vepr will accept any AK stock with minor fitting, and should accept RPK stocks without.

The front handguards are different. The Saiga uses a longer pin in the GB while the Vepr 01's use a sleeve thats pinned to the barrel that is threaded for a scew in the front that seconds as a swivel. The handguard does not screw in at the reciever like the Saiga.

The Vepr is based off the RPK, so most standard AK parts will not work without modification, unless you use Vepr specific parts. Springs, triggers and hammers should still work, same as mags and bullet guides.

As for people wanting the Vepr over the Saiga, its preference. The Veprs have heavier receivers, barrels, and a better overall better finish from the factory. The front sight post is also thinner, giving the shooter a slightly better sight picture. The rear sight is also better, and adjustable vs. Saigas.

Thanks guys

I have a better understanding now.  So what you're saying is that any AK stock will slide on to the Vepr stock receiver attactchment.  Similar to the picture below (the left portion) with some minor modification, correct?

rpk-7410.jpg

Also, I saw this quad rail by Chaos but they only have it for the Saiga.  Could this be modified to fit the Vepr?

TITAN_QUAD_RAIL.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Black Fox

Yes they will slide into the receiver and the tang will line up. I had to remove material all the way around the portion of the stock that goes into the receiver, testing often so I didnt remove too much material. If you have a slant cut Vepr, then you'll need the receiver block to make up the difference in material that is missing due to the slant cuts.

I cant tell you much on the Chaos quad, as Ive never installed one and am not familiar with the process, but the barrel on the Vepr is significantly heavier towards the receiver than the Saiga, so it may be an issue.

Factory strait cut Veprs look great, but are hard to find in my area. Not too many of them came in compared to the number of slants that are available.