took a gamble on the waffen werks ak 74....won.

Took a shot on one of the waffen werks b stock ak74s from classic arms.

The gas block and front site are perfect.

Its has the right scope rail with the groove in the side.

It shoots great!  Put 4 mags of 7n6 down range without 1 issue. Ran like a champ, even with the cheap tapco mag (all i have untill my other ones get here)  accuracy seemed decent for me standing and shooting off hand. Ill take it out this weekend for some actual groups.

Honestly i just wanted to make sure it was going to function properly  so i dumped all the mags as fast as i could reload them and pull the trigger.  That was my main goal today especially with all the horror stories ive been reading.

Action is smooth and rifle looks great. The wood looks beat up and does not match, but that was to be expected.
8c06e33a-f873-429f-9064-263a53d9752d_zps

0109141702_zps55285fb0.jpg

0109141702c_zpsdebb3350.jpg
0109141702b_zps79e04020.jpg

• Like 2

That grade b stock doesn't look half bad compared to the others I've seen.

lol it looks worse in person. the front and back dont match, and the finish is worn. but its solid. im planning on refinishing when i get some time off.

• Like 1

Nice score. I love the feel of AK74s

You might find these threads to be useful:

My wood refinishing thread, with lots of advice from others who did different things. Lots of color options and methods of getting different looks. I chose a unique color, and made two different types of wood match.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/74112-advise-me-on-dyeingstaining-wood-aka-stock-options/

Other mods to my wood:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/72311-guide-comfortable-wood-goodness-with-a-modern-touch/

AZG's wood folder thread, also has mods for plastic, etc.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/68931-ace-folderwoodstock-install/

Edited by GunFun

Have you decided on a color yet? Just as a suggestion, I recently refinished my 870 with Minwax bombay mahogany and it's stunning. Really wish I did my AKs stocks in that color now.

pics?
Having some lighting issues in these, so I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow for you.

The AKs pictured were refinished with red mahogany (IIRC) and were sealed with spar varnish. The 870 was finished with satin Bombay mahogany polyshades.

post-28103-0-95780100-1389916526_thumb.jpg

post-28103-0-03650300-1389916565_thumb.jpg

post-28103-0-26142500-1389916759_thumb.jpg

Edited by W8lifter
  • Like 2

Have you decided on a color yet? Just as a suggestion, I recently refinished my 870 with Minwax bombay mahogany and it's stunning. Really wish I did my AKs stocks in that color now.

pics?
Having some lighting issues in these, so I'll get some in the daylight tomorrow for you.

The AKs pictured were refinished with red mahogany (IIRC) and were sealed with spar varnish. The 870 was finished with satin Bombay mahogany polyshades.

damn that is nice. guess i know what im buying saturday....................

its funny because everything on the rifle looks brand new pristine. then you get to the wood lol. while id o like th bfpu look, it just doesnt match and i would rather not screw with the finish on the rifle. so i guess we will make the wood look new.

Edited by Vintovka Dragunova
  • Like 2

There are some that like the "battle worn" look. I like it too so long as the patina of the rifle matches the patina of the wood. If the receiver and barrel are pristine, then by all means refinish that wood! Sure it will get dinged up with use, but you will be the one giving it that battle worn look over time, and to me that is pretty special.

Edited by Spacehog
  • Like 1

There are some that like the "battle worn" look. I like it too so long as the patina of the rifle matches the patina of the wood. If the receiver and barrel are pristine, then by all means refinish that wood! Sure it will get dinged up with use, but you will be the one giving it that battle worn look over time, and to me that is pretty special.

My thoughts exactly. Had the rifle already had a worn look, id leave it as is.

Edited by Vintovka Dragunova
  • 4 weeks later...

Beware the WW wood stocks. The gray areas won't come out even with wood bleach as I found out. Plenty of great condtion stock sets around online and at large gun shows.

Good luck with your WW AK. Shoot it often as any problem that may show up will be while it's under warranty.

post-48978-0-28319400-1392048533.jpg

Beware the WW wood stocks. The gray areas won't come out even with wood bleach as I found out. 

attachicon.gif350x262 pix.jpg

Just a guess, but if the "gray areas" are actually cosmoline soaked up in the wood, it would need to be heated and bled slowly over time or hit with a strong degreaser to remove it.   

• Like 1

Polish would be the most likely to find parts for. You need matching UF stock hardware and trunnion, because each nationality used a different lockup (one vs. two lugs) setup and stock angle. If the trunnion doesn't match the stock, no go.

Just keep in mind it requires a bit of reworking the receiver. Drill out old trunnion, weld up holes, trim rear of receiver to fit UF trunnion angle, and either drill the receiver for the UF trunnion by template, or install the UF trunnion and gradually mill out the receiver side of the UF stock cutouts for the stock hardware and locking lugs. Some people have done it that way - you can carefully drill out and dremel the receiver to match the existing machining cuts in the trunnion.

Edited by mancat
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is my "battlefield pickup" rifle. It is a bit tricky to get the receiver, furniture, and parts to all display a similar degree of wear without looking like its been intentionally "worked over".

Work was done by Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company. Great guy to do business with.

post-6253-0-38508300-1394641705_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-94383600-1394641712_thumb.jpg

post-6253-0-92934100-1394641718_thumb.jpg

Its sort of a "work in progress" because every time I take it out I make sure to kick it around on the ground and drag it through the gravel a bit! See all the dirt in my sight leaf? 018.gif  I do not plan on cleaning this rifle until it ceases function.

• Like 1