I wouldn't trust the Sightmark to hold up on a shotty. People have had good luck with the Primary Arms. I have a PA Micro on a rimfire and it works fine. I cannot attest to use on a shotgun though. PA had a good deal on their Micros about a month ago as they built a bunch on risers to fill a large order, from a large AR manufacturer who canceled the order. I think I gave $59 for mine. Check their website to see if they still have them.

gallery_46845_1276_83596.jpg

I have one of these cheap red dots I bought at a gun show a few years back sitting in the closet somewhere (edit: Found it). You pay for shipping and it is yours. It won't hold zero for more than a couple shots though...

A few of my friends also purchased similar models. All I can say is just don't. They all seem to be made by the same company ours just had different distributors names and logos. Look exactly like the one you have there. Long and short of it is they may run ok for a bit but eventually problems arise. Only the red works, won't turn on anymore, dials quit working, can't hold zero, etc etc. You will end up disappointing yourself and wishing you would have saved your money. 

For good quality low cost red dot I would go with PA as the others have said.

Edited by Cbass

Thanks for the info Gents.  I know those tactical sights like the one I showed are okay for guns will little recoil but I had my suspision that they wouldn't hold up to heavy recoil.  My preference is for the screen style dot sights like the Sightmark because it allows for better visibility at close range.  It looks like I'll have to drop some money on something high end that can withstand the punishment like a C-More, Burris Fast Fire or Leopold Delta Point.  If anyone knows of something similar that less expensive, please let me know.

Thanks

Edited by Black Fox

I wouldn't trust the Sightmark to hold up on a shotty. People have had good luck with the Primary Arms. I have a PA Micro on a rimfire and it works fine. I cannot attest to use on a shotgun though. PA had a good deal on their Micros about a month ago as they built a bunch on risers to fill a large order, from a large AR manufacturer who canceled the order. I think I gave $59 for mine. Check their website to see if they still have them.

They're gone.

Gents

Do any of you have experience in using dot sights like the Sightmark Sure Shot or simililar devices?  Most run in the $50 range.  Just curious as to how well the hold up to shotgun use.

Thanks

SM-13003B-2.jpg

I bought this exact sight for use on my semi auto 22lr.  For 30bucks on sale It seemed like a pretty good deal.... WRONG.  The first one blinked on and off from slightest of recoil, I exchanged it for another, this one was wayyyy too dim to see in the daylight, I gave up and got my money back.  Live and learn, these suck.

I found myself in the 'learning curve' of red dot sights, and budgets a couple years ago.  There is no such thing as a 'good, cheap' red dot, their is either reliable or not.  Some would debate that the only truly reliable dot sights are  aimpoint, or eotech or trijicon for around $500.  However, for just under 100, you can get a damn fine sight https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-s/586.htm

Edited by Boomsick42

I've got one, and yes, they don't hold zero more than a few mag dump sessions.  After about 400 rnds they need to get sighted again.  Next time out, I'm going to inspection lacquer the screws, as I think the detents aren't holding on them.  If that doesn't solve it.......New sight!   Otherwise, the sight works really well.